lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
dakotafxst
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default New to me 85 ezgo gas

I picked up an ezgo gas the other day, the body and frame are excellent. The motor was seized "from sitting" as the previous owner told me. Put some 2stroke oil in the cylinder and it broke free so got lucky so far. But the wiring is a mess. The attached pic shows a 4 terminal key/switch. Looks new so im guessing it was an attemp to be fixed at one time. Can i use this switch? And what do i need to do to get it wired up correctly? I jumped the solenoid and it turned over fine but no spark. Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring.jpg (199.0 KB, 0 views)
dakotafxst is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New to me 85 ezgo gas

You only need 2-terminals,that make a circuit with the key on,test it with an ohm meter,or volt-meter(with voltage hooked to one side).Some switches are labeled(Batt,Acc,Ign.,etc...)The Switch-Harness is hot from the Battery,then key-on to the Solenoid.By jumping the solenoid,you didn't supply power to the rest of the circuits,when you power the "Key-Power" side of the solenoid,it will power up the igniton-system and the charging-system.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
dakotafxst
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My problem is i only have "one loose wire" coming from the solenoid. Looking at a diagram i think i need one wire to go to the micro switch and I think it needs to go to the same hot side of the switch as the solenoid? And the other side of the switch goes to the throttle limit switch? I dont have any loose wires anywhere else. I think the micro switch is located in the f/r switch? and The limit switch is coming off the throttle? I dont see where i can attach any wires? Any pics of the limit or micro switch and wires would be great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart%20wiring.jpg (53.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
dakotafxst
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok according to the diagram from the ign switch, one wire goes to the coil and that same terminal one wire goes to the micro switch? So i pulled the f/r switch panel to get access to the micro switch and it has 2 wires coming from the micro switch going to a buzzer im guessing? is this right? it doesnt show that in the diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg microswitch.jpg (211.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

There is a micro-switch down at the bottom of the seat-wall on the gas-pedal linkage,that is the one you want.Thinking about it now,If I remember correctly,this circuit is broken by the key-switch,everything else stays "hot" all the time.The switch on the F/R switch is for the Reverse buzzer only.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
dakotafxst
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I think i got it figured out. What i was calling the micro switch i think would be a neutral switch and i dont have one i believe? I bypassed throttle switch and i have spark! So basicly my ignition switch will just be a switch between the solenoid and throttle switch. Couldnt get it to fire, im definatley getting gas cause its coming out the exhaust. Gonna charge the battery a bit and try agin later.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
dakotafxst
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cant seem to get it to fire. Got one little puff and that was it. Spark seems good and its getting gas. I dont have a compression tester but should it at least fire even with low compression?
Old 07-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If the compression is under 80psi,its' not likely to start,If it was stuck,the rings are seized to the piston,and won't allow them to seal against the cylinder-wall.Pull the head and cylinder and make sure they are OK,before you damage the cylinder.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
dakotafxst
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I will pick up a compression tester in a couple days and see where im at. Im gonna rebuild it later anyway, was just hoping i could get it to run for a couple months before i get around to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 85ezgo.jpg (196.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
dakotafxst
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I picked up a compression tester today and a new spark plug. I was surprised that i got a reading just under 120 psi. Put in a new plug and the spark was much stronger than the old plug but still no fire? I know im getting gas cause its coming out the exhaust pipe. I have it disonnnected where it attaches to the muffler. So any ideas what i should do next? Ive taken the carb and pump apart and cleaned them. I get a nice pulse of gas when i disconnect the fuel line from the carb and turn the motor over. Could it be the carb?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-07-03_14-37-59_890.jpg (203.4 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO