lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

Default 1998 Yamaha G16 + Polaris Scrambler 500 project

Hi guys. I promised Smallblock that I'd start a thread for this build in the appropriate section, so here goes!

I found the cart on craigslist. The G16 engine had blown a long time ago and the guy had found a 2001 Polaris Scrambler 500 that was wrecked. He said the engine was running when they took it out of the ATV. It appears that they got all of the wiring, radiator, fan, oil tank, new Polaris belt, carb, Polaris main clutch, all of the exhaust parts, fuel pump, etc...The guy got as far as building a plate on the engine cradle and then lost interest and let it sit and start to rot in a field. Not sure why he gave up such a bad azz project

This will be my third cart project. First was a G9 with a Kawasaki motor cycle engine, second was the G8 project, and now this one.

I rescued it, brought it home and started tearing it down. I decided I wanted to know exactly where the cradle was going to sit with the lift before I mounted the motor, so went to work cleaning, removing what little rust was there, getting rid of all the black widows and yellow spray paint, priming and painting. FYI - this is a TOTAL tiny BUDGET build. Would love to throw money at it, but since I've already done this with our current Yamaha G8, the wify won't let me spend any big bucks at this point!! I was lucky enough that she said I could make this purchase!!

So far: I built a 5 1/2" lift, using Pachanga's receiver tube idea, added 400ex shocks with a new custom bracket (moved the A-arms forward by 1 1/2"), changed out the A-arms from G16 to G8, which were longer, tore apart, cleaned and adjusted the brakes. I have also moved the engine cradle support under the main frame, instead of on top as stock, to provide a flatter cradle to get the motor at proper angle and provide for more clearance of the carb.

At this point, I have no idea if the motor is good, except it seems to have good compression by turning the clutch. My goal is to build a trail machine that can keep up, or at least close to RZR's without 4 wheel drive. I'd like to have it ready by summer and bring it down to CAW. Progress will be a little slow, but consistent!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G16a.jpg (33.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010706.jpg (204.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010712.jpg (345.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010728.jpg (165.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010772.jpg (187.5 KB, 0 views)
stuff4mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Default Re: 1998 Yamaha G16 + Polaris Scrambler 500 project

That's gonna be a nice project Jim and the end result will be a mean trail machine.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

Heck yea Chris! Gotta keep up with the joneses (you and Tom!!!!) on those midnight trail runs!

Here is where I am today. Trying to figure out the best way to mount the motor. I want to have some type of adjustability, so I can move the motor forward in the future to tighten or loosen the belt. I'd love to see what other guys have done to combat the issue. My thought at this point is to hard mount the rear mounts down through the cradle. Then use this arm on the front mount that could be brought up or down. or forward/backward There is another mount on top of the engine on the opposite side. Not sure I'll even use this mount, but just don't know if this will be strong enough.....Any idea's?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010844.jpg (137.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010849.jpg (190.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010860.jpg (166.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010861.jpg (145.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

You'll have to figure out something forward/backward. I think up and down will mess with fuel flow with the carb. But if you hard mount the rear motor mounts you'll lose the forward/backward option. Hmmmm.....
Old 11-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

I can always cut slits in the cradle base for the rear bolts, so they can slide forward/backwards.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Slot the rear mounts and use a turnbuckle mounted where that allthread looking rod is mounted to loosen or tighten the belt. Put stopnuts on the turnbuckle to lock it at the tightness you need.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Very Cool! Glad to see the build thread and seems your stooked to make it work On your motor, where exactly are the motor mounts located and how many? Seem's like you have plenty of clearance (from top of engine to seat) and the angle of the engine looks correct also looks like you have plenty of room between the engine and transaxle shifter lever. I wouldn't be so concerned about adjustability if you have a belt (kevelar preferably) and build the mount's to suit it. Just vision, removing the tin splash sheild and welding flat tubing (front to back) and welding engine brakets. Keep the faith my freind, this is going to one killer ride when your done
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #8
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Very Cool! Glad to see the build thread and seems your stooked to make it work On your motor, where exactly are the motor mounts located and how many? Seem's like you have plenty of clearance (from top of engine to seat) and the angle of the engine looks correct also looks like you have plenty of room between the engine and transaxle shifter lever. I wouldn't be so concerned about adjustability if you have a belt (kevelar preferably) and build the mount's to suit it. Just vision, removing the tin splash sheild and welding flat tubing (front to back) and welding engine brakets. Keep the faith my freind, this is going to one killer ride when your done
Two mounts on the back come out 45, then another mount 90 with two bolts. The front is on the left side bottom front of the motor. Another one at the top right side middle. Belt is brand new Polaris, came with package! The shield is like 1/8 thick steel. Mounted well. I hear ya on the tubing - be bad azz! But, unprotected! Thinking today, mount like Go-cart motor - with slots in either direction on the rear two bolts and a bracket from the front of the shield up and forward to the mount. Cut a slit in the bracket at the mount to move forward or backward. Then, use the threaded rod on the opposite side with a bracket welded in front to help move it forward if need be. Want more pictures?

LOVE THE BUILD by the way! Didn't know it was a customers machine! Thought it was yours!! Yes. VIDEO IS A MUST GUYS!
Old 11-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Ok, think about this...rather them flat tubing, just weld a steel plate in the swing arm area, then you can make your "slotted" holes and the engine would realy be protected. Shure some pix's of the eninge mounts would be great. I don't have Photo Shop, but many members do (like Rifter) to help with the desighn. Where you talking about "Yamahahauler" being a customer car?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

Yamahauler definately belongs to Dave (smallblock450sl) it's his creation.
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps