lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
Jmueller
Not Yet Wild

Default Solenoid question

Can these things be put in backwards? what happens if they can be and it is installed backwards, ie.. does it fail immediatly?

Right now i have to jump the poles on a brand new one just like i had to on the old one and then have to get the cart in gear while the engine is running which clearly is not good for the tranny., Occasionally it ends in grinding, when i abort the shift completly..

Do these things come dead in the box sometimes? do they fail from a bad install..

What else could be causing the cart to not start when the pedal is pressed down, and dont say micro switches because i replaced them already..
Jmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Solenoid question

You say you have to start it and cram it in gear? Did you check the maintenance selector cog on the back of the shifter?

What testing have you done that suggest the solenoid is bad?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Jmueller
Not Yet Wild

Installed the solenoid, and it didnt work from day one.. the old one would have 12v or more at both big poles and when the acclerator was depressed, no voltage would be at either small pole. I tested both micro switches, and they had and were putting out the right amount of voltage as well.. i replaced them anyways because they are cheap and its not worth it to have to replace them when they fail (so that was preventative).. But the new solenoid is giving me the exact same voltage behavior.. full power at large and no power at the small ones..

What else could it be? and how do i put the cart in maitenance mode?
And how do i do the selector cog deal?

Im pretty new at the Golf cart thing, but have been working on cars for a little while
Old 11-17-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
agsbill
Getting Wild
Club Car

The MX mode allows you to start the cart in neutral......It will not start in FWD or REV while in the MX mode.....

To put the cart in MX mode: there is a yellow knob inside the engine compartment on the back side of the FWD REV switch.....pull the yellow knob aft and rotate 180 degrees and let it slide forward....this will put the cart into the MX mode if it was in the normal mode... or if it was in the MX mode already it will return the cart to the normal mode......if the cart starts in neutral then it is in the MX mode...

Bill

PS: placing the car in the MX mode is a good way to 'lock' the cart when you are not using it...most folks don't know about this mode so they can't borrow your cart :)
agsbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:33 AM   #5
timbo2
Getting Wild

Make Sure You Have A 12 Volt Solinoid
timbo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

If you are replacing parts because you don't know what you are doing and passing it off as they might fail someday you need to take your cart to a shop and have it repaired!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
Jmueller
Not Yet Wild

Well.. lets be honest here, the cart is from 1993, i have zero history on the golf cart and bought it for 120$.. So i believe that replacing the microswiches for 8 dollars is well worth the peace of mind that i will be able to get home once i drive it somewhere. So no there is no need to take the golf cart to a shop and spend the astronomical amount they charge for parts and labor........
Old 11-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

one of the micro switches activates the solenoid and no you can,t put it in wrong............have you checked the 10 amp fuse in the box? theres nothing else there in that system unless youi have a bad wire your missing................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:02 PM   #9
Jmueller
Not Yet Wild

The main reason (and i shoud have written this) that i dont believe it was a wiring problem is because of the fact that the cart was running for a little while, perfectly fine, and starting on the pedal. I took it on a brick road and after the ride, it would no longer start on the pedal.. so i figured i must have vibrated one of the microswitches to hell.. or finally killed the solenoid..

I really dont see to much complex wiring in this guy, and the fuse is really weird, the box seems like it doesnt have a negitive wire coming out of the box... Does it ground by being screwed to the frame?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:20 PM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Actually after a bumpy road trip the failure rate for under cart wire connections is way higher than failed switches.
Anyway, See if you can download the wiring diagram for your cart from the above stickies and with a vom trace the positive circuit from the battery through the wires and switches until you loose power.

You need to check your ground wires very carefully as well, very important!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car