lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #21
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 05 CC Precedent 14 cell Leaf Lithium conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwc_oh33 View Post
Man- thanks for taking all these pictures and laying out your process. I hope I can get my CC DS to have this EXACT layout. Awesome work [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure that you're going to have to split the pack if you use 14 cells in a DS due to the frame rails. I have seen some nice builds using 7 cells that fit nicely in the center.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #22
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkerle View Post
Looking good! I would think twice about mounting the controller there tho. It's going to be tough to get all your cables routed to it like that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Right now I'm trying to get everything into the passenger side as tight as I can and still have some reasonable access. I will be able to slide the pack over if i need more room. This is to maximize available storage on the drivers side. I hope that once its installed the only work I'll be doing on that side will be hooking up the programming cable...?

Old 01-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #23
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would flip it 180 degrees. That will give you easy access to the terminals to land your cables. If your using 0-2 gauge cables they wont bend that sharply.

Just a thought man I'm sure you can make it work however you do it. I had scotty send me a solenoid mount for the xct it helped save me some space.

Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #24
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkerle View Post
I would flip it 180 degrees. That will give you easy access to the terminals to land your cables. If your using 0-2 gauge cables they wont bend that sharply.

Just a thought man I'm sure you can make it work however you do it. I had scotty send me a solenoid mount for the xct it helped save me some space.

I picked up Tempco 2ga cable on Amazon an I am very satisfied at how flexible it is and will buy it again! I figure I will know what I'll need for clearance as soon as get a terminal on and start trying to see where it will make the bend and not... only way to know what I can get away with is try and it doesn't cost anything until I start cutting and crimping.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #25
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Very nice build!! Coming along quite well!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:05 PM   #26
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Had to give up time in the garage for a night out and to get some culture and see a show... Ended up being the musical Rock of Ages which was 2 hours of awesome tunes around a love story that's easy to tune out... I recommend that you guys go so far as to volunteer to take your better half to see this when its in town. You get points for taking her to a Broadway musical and you get to listen to great music for a couple of hours, win win!!!

Anyway afterwards I was able to get back to the project and mount the Solenoid, fuse and place the controller and Gigavac relay (paper template until Tuesday). I did try rotating the controller 180 but still prefer the cable flow this way, it will be snug but I think it will fit alright. I can see how it could be a bigger issue with less flexible cables, especially someone using 1 gauge.
Once those were in place I began routing all of the cables.

Remember that terminal orientation is important when crimping your lugs so you don't have to twist your cables to get them on.
As far as crimping the terminal lugs I would not bother with spending the $$$ on the ratcheting or hydraulic crimpers. I have used both in the past and on Pingeye3's recommendation I bought a hammer type crimper along with my 3 lb. baby sledge, its simple, cheap and it works. This is all I will use from now on to crimp large lugs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E1...mob_b_pd_title

Old 01-12-2019, 09:15 PM   #27
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am wondering what I am going to run into when try and run the controller connector and wire harness from the old location on the center plate to the new controller location on the passenger side of the tub... if anyone has experience with this I would appreciate any info or warnings. I'm currently just planning on and splicing (solder) and lengthening the wires if they're to short...?

Old 01-12-2019, 09:42 PM   #28
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Here are some pics of my orientation, but it is a DS so hopefully can still help you visualize it. I moved the controller up front, rerouted the harness by removing the wraps and peeling back the spiral loom until I ran into the cross-joint preventing further travel. That allowed me to run it up under the back plate and then re-secure it behind the pack in a nice tight location out of the way from other peripherals. I did have to extend the three (3) wires for the speed switch and I cut them about 3" behind the connector and added color correct wires in-between and then wrapped in all in new spiral loom after completion.

And PS, I have a Hammer Lug tool, but I have had a pull-out twice with it, but never have with my hydraulic or bolt-cutter style. Not saying anything wrong with hammer style as I have used them for years, but did want to share my experiences.....

Good Luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GC Upgrade2 8-2018.jpg (681.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg GC Upgrade4 8-2018.jpg (649.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg GC Upgrade5 8-2018.jpg (648.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg GC Upgrade3 8-2018.jpg (701.7 KB, 0 views)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:39 PM   #29
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well the DHL truck pulled up with my order from ZEVA today! I managed to get the tap wires connected, HV / LV relays laid out and wired. I obviously have some wire management to do... Next I'll be starting with replacing some of wires that I don't like, finishing up the charger and wiring the rest of the BMS. It's tight in there the way I have laid it out but it's working out nicely and it looks like I'll have 7" x 15" under the driver's side for storage.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:50 PM   #30
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJEFE View Post
Well the DHL truck pulled up with my order from ZEVA today! I managed to get the tap wires connected, HV / LV relays laid out and wired. I obviously have some wire management to do... Next I'll be starting with replacing some of wires that I don't like, finishing up the charger and wiring the rest of the BMS. It's tight in there the way I have laid it out but it's working out nicely and it looks like I'll have 7" x 15" under the driver's side for storage.
Nice work!! I actually understand this because I went thru it. Frankly, it was a steep learning curve when I was preparing for this.....but now that I'm done, it seems much easier!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car