lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2022, 02:12 PM   #1
Ken_in-Chatt
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO RXV Lithium batteries not charging

I had Allied lithium batteries installed in my RXV little over a year ago. Everything worked perfectly until recently. Now when I plug in the charger, all seems normal - red light and fan come on, charges for a while, then the green light comes on and the charger stops. Problem is that the charge does not go up at all. If I start charging at 65%, it is still at 65% when the charger stops. As I drive, the charge percent goes down, but then subsequent charging never increases the charge. One of the terminals in the charger receptacle was partially melted and perhaps not making good contact, so I replaced the receptacle thinking this must be the problem. Unfortunately, no change.

Got any ideas????

Ken
Ken_in-Chatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2022, 03:06 PM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: EZGO RXV Lithium batteries not charging

Melted terminal plug prong? You mean the metal prong melted? Did this occur because something was jammed into the terminal when you plugged it in?…Or it melted during a “normal charge”?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:21 PM   #3
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Is it a 48v battery or 4 x 12v batteries?

If you have 4 x 12v batteries, and your charger isn't faulty, then your batteries are most likely out of balance. Get a 12v lithium charger and charge each battery individually to bring them back into balance. Better still, remove all batteries and connect them in PARALLEL, then charge with a 12v charger all at the same time. Leave them connected in parallel for a few days then reinstall.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:50 AM   #4
Ken_in-Chatt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Melted terminal plug prong? You mean the metal prong melted? Did this occur because something was jammed into the terminal when you plugged it in?…Or it melted during a “normal charge”?
Not the metal prong, the plastic socket in the receptacle. Seemed to have happened during a normal charge.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:55 AM   #5
Ken_in-Chatt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Is it a 48v battery or 4 x 12v batteries?

If you have 4 x 12v batteries, and your charger isn't faulty, then your batteries are most likely out of balance. Get a 12v lithium charger and charge each battery individually to bring them back into balance. Better still, remove all batteries and connect them in PARALLEL, then charge with a 12v charger all at the same time. Leave them connected in parallel for a few days then reinstall.

Cheers
Pat.
Three 48v batteries in parallel.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:47 PM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Well, I’d first check the voltage of each battery with a multimeter to see what each one shows. Also check the pack for what voltage it’s at.

The other thing I’d look at is your wire that goes from the charging terminal to the batteries. Is the wire heavy enough to carry the charge current? Also, are the remaining terminal(s) in good shape and not melted?

For the heat to get hot enough to melt plastic, that tells me you may have to much current for the size wire you have installed.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:19 AM   #7
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

What is the battery voltage when the charger turns off? You can also try charging only one battery at a time to try and isolate a battery problem or charger problem. You could have one battery that is causing the charger to shut off.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:03 PM   #8
Ken_in-Chatt
Not Yet Wild

Well, it is charging now but only when the key is in neutral. With the key off, no charge. With the key in neutral, normal charging. I'm mystified.
Old 08-17-2022, 12:12 PM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

When you say "it's charging now" do you mean it's bringing the pack to a full charge?

When you say "key is in neutral" I don't know what that means. My key is either on or off. But...mebby that's an RXV thing?
Old 08-17-2022, 03:34 PM   #10
Ken_in-Chatt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
When you say "it's charging now" do you mean it's bringing the pack to a full charge?

When you say "key is in neutral" I don't know what that means. My key is either on or off. But...mebby that's an RXV thing?
Yes, full charge. The key can be F, R, or N (neutral). Don't think that is a RXV thing.

Tags
charger, lithium, receptacle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO