lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2022, 09:14 AM   #21
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Uno battery for Ezgo TXT

The battery is working quite well.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2022, 12:20 PM   #22
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

No doubt it works Scotty. There would have to be something seriously wrong if it didnít. The question is does it give you a 50% increase in range over its competitors as claimed? :)
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 10:57 PM   #23
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
The question is does it give you a 50% increase in range over its competitors
I might also add, and at half the size of the competitors.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 07:50 AM   #24
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The battery has considerable run time. I'm not going to try to answer Pat911's question about the advertising claim. We do not have an apple to apple comparison for that. And we are not logging miles to dissect the math.
So far we are very happy with the extended run time and additional power from the slightly higher voltage.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:43 PM   #25
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thatís fair enough Scotty as it must be an apples to apples comparison. You must test same cart on same road/track with different batteries for it to be accurate. I just wish suppliers wouldnít make outlandish claims on their website to further confuse consumers in this already very confusing landscape.

I will make these final statements though. Regardless of voltage, the batteries that UNO compare their battery against have a very similar ENERGY CAPACITY to their own.

Iím not going to go into the heavy maths as this is a carting forum, not a Science/Engineering forum but it is a FACT that the amount of ENERGY required to move a object a certain DISTANCE is inversely proportional to its MASS (weight). Put simply, if you double the weight of an object it will go half the distance with the same energy. Half the weight, double the distance. Thatís why we are now seeing the massive range reduction in EVís like the Ford Lightning when comparing range while towing with the claimed range.

To get the claimed 50% range increase, installing the UNO battery would have to see a 50% weight reduction comparable to a battery with the same energy storage capacity. Thatís a 50% weight reduction in the COMBINED battery, cart, driver/passenger etc. The UNO Battery is lighter than its competitors and installing it in a light, aluminium cart like a Club Car will see the greatest range increase. The heavier the cart dry weight, the less benefit you will see.

A bit of simple mathÖ..

Club Car Precedent 492 lbs
Driver 198 lbs (current average weight of a US male)
UNO Battery 48 lbs
3 x Allied 30Ah batteries 114 lbs

UNO battery stored energy 3.65v x 14 x 90Ah = 4599Wh
Allied battery stored energy 3.2v x 16 x 90Ah = 4608Wh
Letís call Stored Energy EQUAL

Combined weight with UNO Battery
492 + 198 + 48 = 738 lbs

Combined weight with Allied Battery
492 + 198 + 114 = 804 lbs

% weight reduction going from Allied to UNO
( 804 - 738 ) / 804 = 8.2%

If the Allied can go 40mi as per the UNO website, the theoretical maximum distance the UNO can travel is
40 + (40 x 8.2%) = 43.3mi.

That is it, 43.3 mi, not the 60+ miles UNO claims.

Any cart heavier than a Club Car Precedent will see less of a % range increase, as will carrying more weight like passengers, accessories etc.

I'm happy to discuss any oversights, but I will not entertain any arguments to the explanation above that are not based on science and physics. You want to disagree with the facts above, take it up with Sir Isaac Newton et al.

The UNO Battery seems to now be a good battery after the fix that was applied, but sell it on its own merits, not false promises.

Cheers
Pat
Old 10-23-2022, 12:03 PM   #26
DaveTM
Gone Wild

With no "apples to apples" comparison of what I would think, having access to different types (makers) of drop 'n drive batteries....the comment of "has considerable run time" provides no factual data of actual performance.

Perhaps is protects a reseller's ability to acquire product, but other than that, the statement says less than very little.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 01:55 PM   #27
Jcasperson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Wink Re: Uno battery for Ezgo TXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Thatís fair enough Scotty as it must be an apples to apples comparison. You must test same cart on same road/track with different batteries for it to be accurate. I just wish suppliers wouldnít make outlandish claims on their website to further confuse consumers in this already very confusing landscape.

I will make these final statements though. Regardless of voltage, the batteries that UNO compare their battery against have a very similar ENERGY CAPACITY to their own.

Iím not going to go into the heavy maths as this is a carting forum, not a Science/Engineering forum but it is a FACT that the amount of ENERGY required to move a object a certain DISTANCE is inversely proportional to its MASS (weight). Put simply, if you double the weight of an object it will go half the distance with the same energy. Half the weight, double the distance. Thatís why we are now seeing the massive range reduction in EVís like the Ford Lightning when comparing range while towing with the claimed range.

To get the claimed 50% range increase, installing the UNO battery would have to see a 50% weight reduction comparable to a battery with the same energy storage capacity. Thatís a 50% weight reduction in the COMBINED battery, cart, driver/passenger etc. The UNO Battery is lighter than its competitors and installing it in a light, aluminium cart like a Club Car will see the greatest range increase. The heavier the cart dry weight, the less benefit you will see.

A bit of simple mathÖ..

Club Car Precedent 492 lbs
Driver 198 lbs (current average weight of a US male)
UNO Battery 48 lbs
3 x Allied 30Ah batteries 114 lbs

UNO battery stored energy 3.65v x 14 x 90Ah = 4599Wh
Allied battery stored energy 3.2v x 16 x 90Ah = 4608Wh
Letís call Stored Energy EQUAL

Combined weight with UNO Battery
492 + 198 + 48 = 738 lbs

Combined weight with Allied Battery
492 + 198 + 114 = 804 lbs

% weight reduction going from Allied to UNO
( 804 - 738 ) / 804 = 8.2%

If the Allied can go 40mi as per the UNO website, the theoretical maximum distance the UNO can travel is
40 + (40 x 8.2%) = 43.3mi.

That is it, 43.3 mi, not the 60+ miles UNO claims.

Any cart heavier than a Club Car Precedent will see less of a % range increase, as will carrying more weight like passengers, accessories etc.

I'm happy to discuss any oversights, but I will not entertain any arguments to the explanation above that are not based on science and physics. You want to disagree with the facts above, take it up with Sir Isaac Newton et al.

The UNO Battery seems to now be a good battery after the fix that was applied, but sell it on its own merits, not false promises.

Cheers
Pat

I love my Uno Battery! Anytime I have had an issue they have fixed it with an update through my phone. I looked for the claimed "50% increase" on their site and can't find it, can you share where you are finding that? They have honestly exceeded my expectations, and had great customer support.

Also you showed great science, But don't knock it until you've tried it! I think there are important variables to think about for each individual user like: wheel size, lift, wind speeds, tire PSI, controller and motor, continuous runtime, terrain, resistance, cart accessories, different chemistries, discharge rates, ETC. And if you truly want to follow the scientific process, you have shown your hypothesis, Now the next step is to test your hypothesis. as Thomas Huxley said "The man of science has learned to believe in justification, not by faith, but by verification."

I agree 50% is an outlandish claim, however 40miles vs 60miles is 33%.

they say on Uno's site:
" CLASS I - ONE UNO UP TO 60 MILES
Stock Cart
17 inch tires
Stock motor & controller"

I know that not many people have a stock cart on here, I know I don't. Personally I have a navitas controller, a 4 inch lift, 22 inch tires, and a few accessories. So my cart falls in what they call a "Class 2 cart" to which they state I will get 30 miles in range. I only drive my cart on the weekends and can get right around 46 miles in range with about 35% SOC remaining on the Uno. So their claims don't seem outlandish to me. It actually seems like you are a threatened Allied dealer or someone who is extremely bored with their life!

All in all, I am not trying to spew hate as you are, just trying to show my real life experience with the product and the company! Special shoutout to Amber who is the Uno customer service person who has helped me out.

Uno has been awesome! And if you don't believe me, Fentertainment is a lot smarter and well known than me. One of his youtube videos he tests range and still has battery left past like 43 miles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQmhCyljBQg&t=908s

To quote Sir Isaac Newton: ďTact is the art of making a point without making an enemy.Ē

good day
Jcasperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 02:49 PM   #28
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hi Jcasperson,

A couple of things.

Go to https://unobatteries.com/ and scroll down to "The Value Of UNO" it's all there.

I'm not spewing hate, I presented a clear and factually supported case, even saying on numerous occasions that the UNO seems to be a good battery and I am genuinely glad it is working well for you. ďTact is the art of making a point without making an enemy.Ē If I'm making enemy's here, it's because they don't like what I'm presenting, not because I'm presenting it in a hateful way. I have made many friends on this forum, helping solve many problems and giving unbiased recommendations.

The fact that you're talking about a non standard cart, wind speed etc.... is once again irrelevant. We are talking about a controlled test where test conditions must remain the same. You must compare apples with apples. Either test UNO and its competotors in a standard cart, or a modified cart. Choose one. Use the same roads, same weather conditions etc.... That's what a Controlled Test.

Quote:
I agree 50% is an outlandish claim, however 40miles vs 60miles is 33%.
NO, it is still a 50% INCREASE, how I've described it all along! Going form 40 to 60, 60 is 50% more than 40. UNO is claiming a 50% INCREASE. If you look at it the other way, you could say that UNO claim that their competitors have 33% REDUCED range compared to their own battery. Either way, it is the same thing, but I never described their claim in that fashion.

Cheers
Pat.
Old 10-24-2022, 04:07 PM   #29
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I will say this.....my repurposed Leaf pack has worked great since my initial install in Nov 2018. And even better since I added another 7 modules to the original...which I did in March of 2020. (About 1.5yr later).

With support from those who know on this forum, and getting beyond the learning curve, my pack has provided me with great service.....and other than this forum...there is no "tech team" to call.

Now, I know UNO claims, if I'm reading this correctly, that one 48V 90amp\hr pack will deliver 60+ miles in what they call a "Class I" cart, at a cost of $2,899. Scrolling down their website pages shows a "Class I" cart to be an unmodified, non-lifted cart.

Then they show a "Heavily Modified" (lifted, aftermarket motor\controller, large tires\wheels) will get 30 miles from one battery, and 60 miles from two. And I'm guessing that a two pack will be (2 x $2,899)= $5,798.

But for discussion purposes, lets stick to one pack...as a two pack is pushing 6-grand and that's certainly pricy!!

So, in a highly modified cart $2,900 will get ya a 48V 90amp\hr pack. And looking at the spec's of the pack, it will provide you with "Max Continuous Discharge" of 100amps. It will also provide you with a "Max 2 minuet discharge" of 200amps. Now, I can only assume that should a cart draw "over" the 100amp continuous number...the BMS then falls into the "Max" 200amp for 2 minuet mode. So, if your cart is demanding 101amps for longer than any given 2 minuet time frame, the BMS would shut down the pack.

Now, 2 minutes is certainly a "long time frame" for drawing over the 100amp continuous number.....well....depending upon what purpose your cart is being used for.

I can certainly guess that the 30 mile range measurement was likely done on a nice warm day (temps above 65) and over surfaces that would either be paved, or "paved like" smooth places.

Because I know from using my cart in SW PA. (where hills are hills....and mountains are mountains) and using my cart in cooler temps from October to December (avg of mebby 40 degrees) and from December to February (avg of mebby 25 degrees), plus driving over the terrain that I travel, this pack would likely (my guess) never achieve the 30 mile range....and on some of the long uphill paths\fields that I go the over 100amp\2 minuet continuous discharge is more than likely going to occur and I'm going to have a shutdown issue.....out in the middle of the woods.

Of course, I realize these packs are marketed to the mass's and I may not be the "typical" person these are targeted towards.

So, after all of that, I'm simply saying be very aware of what conditions\temps\terrain you drive your cart in. And understand that these "drop 'n drive" lithiums are not a cure-all\solve-all battery packs for all circumstances. That, and you can only "squeeze" a certain amount of milage out of any given pack....provided the conditions....and provided the settings YOUR cart's controller are set at. I know a maximum 200amp current draw would not provide the kind of performance I need for conditions I drive.

I also know I don't drive 30 miles on any given day. Mebby 5 miles in a day....on very cold days (think 15-20 degrees) and on hills that can easily be a 35 degree incline for several hundred yards....and on rare occasions much more.

So....just know what your cart "demands" and "needs" to get you where you wanna be. And fit your battery accordingly. These drop in's ain't cheap...so "know" before you open your wallet!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 04:44 PM   #30
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Dave - can you collect an post a monitor file of your cart running hard starts uphill, Wide open top speed and such ?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO