lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
Boliver
Not Yet Wild

Default 2006 Columbia Parcar Motor hysteresis

Hi
Just picked up a 2006 Parcar model SUV LN. SN 5fcls36a771001231. It has a 48v motor. The batteries seem OK but when you push the pedal the motor tries to turn but doesn't move the cart. Can anyone make a recommendation for trouble shooting? Any recommendations for finding a new/rebuilt motor? Any recommendations for a motor rebuild shop?
The cart is in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area. The cart rolls when pushed.

Thanks!

Update: Broken and burned brush holder.
Boliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Default Re: 2006 Columbia Parcar Motor hysteresis

You need to load test the batteries. If original they may not have enough current carrying ability to run the motor. The motors generally don't work part way, they either work or not. Lift the back of the cart off the ground also, and see if the cart will "drive". If it does, the motor is fine.

Is there a flash code on the blue controller? (Is the light blinking, and if so, how many times?)
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

I just read your update. The brush card and brushes are available replacement parts. As long as the cummutator isn't damaged, replace the card and brushes, install a new bearing and you're good.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Boliver
Not Yet Wild

Sent the motor out for rebuild... still no movement at the rear axle while on the hoist. No flashing led visble (no led visible period). Have 48v at main relay. Relay activates when key is turned and sends 48v to controller. No idea what to do next.
Thanks for your responses.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

The other test is the pedal push. When the pedal is pressed all the way, the signal to the controller should show 100% push. If it's way low, you would have enough power to drive with the car in the air, but not on the ground. It's tested with a specific handset, similar to an automotive check engine reader. Without it, you can test ohms on the pot box. It's the box under the hood with an arm connected to the accelerator pedal linkage. There are two wires, white and black that come out of a PB6 style box. At rest they should be near 0 ohms. At fully engaged should be about 5000 ohms. Generally the issue is the linkage is way off, or the pot box is bad.

On the controller is a small green LED in the lower right corner. It is steady green if all is operational. If not it will flash a code. If there is no LED, check the 1A fuse located near the controller also.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
Boliver
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the great info. I found the LED under some crud. It is dark. I will go through your check list and let you know what I find out.
Thanks again!
Old 04-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
Boliver
Not Yet Wild

Thanks to all for your previous help. This cart has been sitting all winter and I figured it was time to take another look. After cleaning and checking connections with no success I started to look under the front hood. I found a double black wire on a female spade connector that was unplugged. I plugged it into a nearby available male connector and all of a sudden I had locomotion. So now to the new problem..
The cart moves fine at slow speed but when the accellerator pedal gets to about half way down the cart switches into warp speed. Usually what happens is the motor stalls and the controller kicks out. After this happens you have to cycle the power via the key switch to get the controller to reset. The symptoms are the same for both forward and reverse. It seems that the cart goes from slow to full (over) power with no in between. I have been able to feather it slowly enough to get to full speed but the is really no mid range.

When checking the controllor wiring against the diagram, I noticed that the F1 terminal on the controller is connected to the F2 terminal on the motor, and the F2 controller terminal is connected to the F1 motor terminal. This is how the wiring diagram shows it should be. Seems counter intuitive but worth mentioning.

And after all this I still have no LED illumination whatsoever.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

The F1/F2 is because the axle and motor are mounted reverse oriented of what they could be. If you switch it the other way, your direction would be set at fwd but the cart would travel reverse.

My guess would be a bad potbox causing the sudden surge.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
Boliver
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the response.
This unit does not have a pot box. It is set up with a sevcon linear accellerator p/n 656/12036. I picked up a new one on ebay and installed it but still have the same problem. The LED on the controller remains dark always. The controller p/n is 633T45303. I hate to plunk out the $$$ for a progamming pendant just to find out the controller is bad.

Any further suggestions?
Anyone know of a good service center in Michigan for these?
Thanks again
Old 04-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

With 48Volts on pin one of the controller (That's pin one as B+ and the top lug at B-), the controller should light up. If it doesn't and the voltage is there, you need a controller.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar