lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
slowride
Not Yet Wild

Default 1987 DS mods and ?'s

I've been searching here and reading all I can for the past few days, but it's time to jump in and expose my ignorance. I purchased a used gas DS for $1000 and was told it was a 94 to 96 (seller didn't know which), but drove it and it runs well with no noises or other concerns. Had a local cart shop do a tune up and oil change on it and was told it was in good shape. After reading posts here, I find out that apparently my 94-6 is actually a 1987 (AG87...) and it's a flathead KF82. This AFTER I ordered new 12" wheels, 23" tires and a 6" spindle lift kit. I contacted the supplier when I found out the correct year and was told the lift will work, but I needed 4 shock extensions. They are on the way, but I have a few questions that will determine where I go from here.

From what I've read, a driven clutch power spring will more than likely be required to get some torque back after the lift and tires, and the spring thru 2003 will work......Correct?

Will a 6" lift on a KF82 create oiling problems, and if so, what's the best solution?

Will i have to change the drive belt with the 6" lift?

I've read a ton of posts on the big block forum about "clones" and Duramax replacements, but it sounds like there isn't a well planned drop-in replacement for my cart (like the OHV has). What's the bottom line on a simple replacement engine?

Is there a "tech" thread with pics showing an engine swap and what is involved in it?

I know, a lot of questions, but I enjoy the cart and am not looking to set land speed records.... just putt around the neighborhood. Great forum, and looking forward to absorbing some knowledge.
slowride is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1987 DS mods and ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride View Post
I've been searching here and reading all I can for the past few days, but it's time to jump in and expose my ignorance. I purchased a used gas DS for $1000 and was told it was a 94 to 96 (seller didn't know which), but drove it and it runs well with no noises or other concerns. Had a local cart shop do a tune up and oil change on it and was told it was in good shape. After reading posts here, I find out that apparently my 94-6 is actually a 1987 (AG87...) and it's a flathead KF82. This AFTER I ordered new 12" wheels, 23" tires and a 6" spindle lift kit. I contacted the supplier when I found out the correct year and was told the lift will work, but I needed 4 shock extensions. They are on the way, but I have a few questions that will determine where I go from here.

From what I've read, a driven clutch power spring will more than likely be required to get some torque back after the lift and tires, and the spring thru 2003 will work......Correct?

Will a 6" lift on a KF82 create oiling problems, and if so, what's the best solution?

Will i have to change the drive belt with the 6" lift?

I've read a ton of posts on the big block forum about "clones" and Duramax replacements, but it sounds like there isn't a well planned drop-in replacement for my cart (like the OHV has). What's the bottom line on a simple replacement engine?

Is there a "tech" thread with pics showing an engine swap and what is involved in it?

I know, a lot of questions, but I enjoy the cart and am not looking to set land speed records.... just putt around the neighborhood. Great forum, and looking forward to absorbing some knowledge.

For starters slow, that KF series engine is very good if kept in good shape. The bad is that parts are hard to come by. I see mixed opinions about the torque spring but others with more experience of tall tires will chime in soon enough. Re your oil question. The lift will alter the angle of the motor so when you change oil the dipstick will be off. If you fill to the mark you will have added to much so just add what the manual recommends and make a new mark on the stick. The belt will be the same as you have now. Clone engines are a good cheap option if yours should go bad but some fabrication will be required. Not to bad really and about every subject matter on every engine swap is covered in here.
Hope that helps a bit.
Welcome to BGW

FC.
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
icenfire01
Not Yet Wild

Wow, It's like you wrote this post for me. I too just bought a '96-'97 cart. Tuns out its an '88, of well it runs great and I just got done putting on my 6" a arm lift and the under carriage looks great, didn't even need new bushings for my springs so I couldn't be happier. I have some ???'s on the cultch mod as well. I ordered a kit that said it fit all ds models, the the instructions said for '97 and up. I called the manufacturer and they thought there would be issues because the older ones have a different rotation??? So they are sending me a sping from an ez go that might work. He said I'll be his guney pig so my fingers are crossed. I hope someone with more experience chimes in here. Happy carting!
icenfire01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
slowride
Not Yet Wild

I called CartPartsPlus and asked a few questions.... driven clutch spring in particular. He (didn't get a name, sorry) was very helpful and wasn't pushing parts at all, just giving straightforward answers.
I was told the spring for later models will work, and it makes sense as a spring doesn't know rotation, just free and compressed spring rates. I was under the impression that the KF82 was CCW rotation as the newer engines are. He did tell me to add the lift and tires and take it out before doing the spring mod. Next weekend the kit and tires go on and I'll take it for a spin to see what the changes are.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
Dale M
Getting Wild

Hey slow, mine's an '87 and here's a link to my upgrade thread. Also shows what I did for the leveling the engine. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lifte...ot-lifted.html

Looking to add HD rear springs and upgrade to auto shocks this summer.

Good luck with your build.
Dale M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
I called CartPartsPlus and asked a few questions.... driven clutch spring in particular. He (didn't get a name, sorry) was very helpful and wasn't pushing parts at all, just giving straightforward answers.
I was told the spring for later models will work, and it makes sense as a spring doesn't know rotation, just free and compressed spring rates. I was under the impression that the KF82 was CCW rotation as the newer engines are. He did tell me to add the lift and tires and take it out before doing the spring mod. Next weekend the kit and tires go on and I'll take it for a spin to see what the changes are.
CCW up to late 96. CW rotation from then until present.

FC
Old 04-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
slowride
Not Yet Wild

Here's the before... more pics after the lift, tires and steering wheel
Old 04-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
slowride
Not Yet Wild

Here's my weekend "to do" list (or pile). Tires, lift, steering wheel, then test drive. The cart is at the other house, so I'm packing up EVERYTHING I think I may need to get it finished.
We'll see if the driven spring is required.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tires.jpg (50.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Not trying to be clever here but if springs don't know rotation then why wind them in different directions ?

FC
Old 04-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
slowride
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastercarter View Post
Not trying to be clever here but if springs don't know rotation then why wind them in different directions ?

FC
Has to go SOME way, right? Kinda like the old joke about a certain ethnicity. They can only use certain nails on the North wall, because they're facing the wrong way for the South wall. The hardware store was all out of south facing nails......
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car