lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
gitchesum
Not Yet Wild

Default Another charging problem, with a twist

Did a pretty extensive search, but didn't find my answer.

I've checked voltage at the generator, and at the solenoid, and both read in the 14-15VDC range, so know they are both good.

But, for some reason, the battery isn't charging. The battery is brand new as well.
It's a 2000 Tourall that has been modified to idle, with a starter button on the floorboard.

If I have voltage to the starter side of the solenoid, how does the power get to the battery side of the solenoid to charge the battery.
gitchesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
mwright
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Another charging problem, with a twist

Not sure, but try have the battery load tested, i have recieved new batterys before hat would not hold a charge.
mwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
Jimmie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitchesum View Post
Did a pretty extensive search, but didn't find my answer.

I've checked voltage at the generator, and at the solenoid, and both read in the 14-15VDC range, so know they are both good.

But, for some reason, the battery isn't charging. The battery is brand new as well.
It's a 2000 Tourall that has been modified to idle, with a starter button on the floorboard.

If I have voltage to the starter side of the solenoid, how does the power get to the battery side of the solenoid to charge the battery.
The solenoid should be energized while the engine is running. Energy flows to the starter/generator while cranking. Energy flows to battery from the starter/generator while the engine is running, thru the solenoid.

Jimmie
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

When you say the battery is not charging, exactly what do you mean? Are you getting 14+V at the generator but not at the battery? or are you getting 14+ V to the Battery but it seems to not charge? If you are getting 14+ V at the battery, you have a problem with the battery OR something is drawing when you think the cart is turned off. My bet is something is drawing when the key is off. A quick check is to unhook the battery when you are not running the cart. If the problem seems to go away if you always unhook the battery at the end of the day, you have a draw when the key is off. You can also put an amp meter between the battery and the + if you have an amp meter. It should not draw at all when the key is off.

If on the other hand you just don't get 14+ V at the battery when the system seems to be charging, you have a bad connection some place. This does not make sense, because, it then should not start.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:11 AM   #5
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

A 12 volt battery is something of a misnomer and should actually read around 13.52 volts whilst in a healthy condition.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
Hill Country Hunter
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I had a similar problem. Relatively new battery went dead in the cart. I charged it up and it started again - no problem to start, but wanted to fix it. I went through the checklist in my manual and after testing, it turned out it was the voltage regulator. I replaced it and no more problem. It is a 2004. I don't have the manual with me (5 hrs away at the hunting spot), but somebody may be able to look in their manual and give you the test procedure.
Hill Country Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
Jimmie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitchesum View Post

I'm thinking that after the modification the solenoid is not staying picked up (energized) , there fore the battery is not being charged.

Jimmie
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
catsnw
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country Hunter View Post
I had a similar problem. Relatively new battery went dead in the cart. I charged it up and it started again - no problem to start, but wanted to fix it. I went through the checklist in my manual and after testing, it turned out it was the voltage regulator. I replaced it and no more problem. It is a 2004. I don't have the manual with me (5 hrs away at the hunting spot), but somebody may be able to look in their manual and give you the test procedure.
Agree^^

It's most likely the regulator. My ezgo did the same thing. I even had the battery load tested at 3 different places.
catsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #9
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

check your micro-switches. Also, not sure how they have moded that with the starter button on the dash. but, Jimmie may be right. Who ever changed it to a button on the dash probably did not consider how they were going to keep the generator connected to the battery. Try to figure that out. If they did not consider that, get rid of that dash switch, go back to the foot pedal energising the solenoid and then change the key switch to always feed to the ignition unless the switch is off. That way, the only time it would not charge is when it is at idle.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

The first place to check for voltage is the battery when its running. Thats the voltage I want to know, I dont care about voltage at the solenoid or starter. 14 volts at the batery while running and there is not a problem.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car