lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
bluwtr49
Not Yet Wild

Default Replacing a Sevcon 6337T45303 Controller with an Altrax XCT Round 2

Thanks to all the help from Tech Support I was able to move ahead with this conversion......timeline accelerated due to a failure of the Secvon.

Buying a replacement Sevcon ~$1200.00 plus having it installed would have been ~~$1500.00 and the Alltrax was ~$530.00 so I figured I have about $1000.00 to put towards the conversion.

The hardest part was figuring out which XCT to buy so I downloaded all of the various configurations for different cars and compared the pin outs with my Columbia. It appears that the XCT for a Club Car IQ has the same functionality as mine just going to different pins. Next was to contact D&D Motors to get a field map and found they wont speak with an end user about the motor due to the agreement with Columbia. However, they did agree with Alltrax that using the universal map would be safe and that a correct field map could be generated by using the stored data on the controller after the car has been running for awhile.

Now if some kind soul would send me the map, it sure would be helpful.

This weekend I hooked the controller to my laptop and, using the Alltrax tool kit (free on their website) and dove into the personality setting. Stupid easy to do and their programming guide is a snap to follow.

I am having the local golf car guru (just happens to be an authorized Columbia service) pick it up this week and get cracking on the change over.

I'll be happy to post the details for those that might be interested as we progress.
bluwtr49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

Default Re: Replacing a Sevcon 6337T45303 Controller with an Altrax XCT Round 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluwtr49 View Post
Thanks to all the help from Tech Support I was able to move ahead with this conversion......timeline accelerated due to a failure of the Secvon.

Buying a replacement Sevcon ~$1200.00 plus having it installed would have been ~~$1500.00 and the Alltrax was ~$530.00 so I figured I have about $1000.00 to put towards the conversion.

The hardest part was figuring out which XCT to buy so I downloaded all of the various configurations for different cars and compared the pin outs with my Columbia. It appears that the XCT for a Club Car IQ has the same functionality as mine just going to different pins. Next was to contact D&D Motors to get a field map and found they wont speak with an end user about the motor due to the agreement with Columbia. However, they did agree with Alltrax that using the universal map would be safe and that a correct field map could be generated by using the stored data on the controller after the car has been running for awhile.

Now if some kind soul would send me the map, it sure would be helpful.

This weekend I hooked the controller to my laptop and, using the Alltrax tool kit (free on their website) and dove into the personality setting. Stupid easy to do and their programming guide is a snap to follow.

I am having the local golf car guru (just happens to be an authorized Columbia service) pick it up this week and get cracking on the change over.

I'll be happy to post the details for those that might be interested as we progress.
Any updates on this conversion? I am seriously interested in what all is involved. My Sevcon controller is giving me a flash code "1" (Personalities out of range), and Tech Support says that most likely I will need a new controller.
What all did you have to change to get the speeds you posted about in another thread? I have a 2007 P4E (Legacy Eagle).
One more question ... What was your ballpark figure on the conversion?

Thanks in advance.
SWB
swb713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
bluwtr49
Not Yet Wild

The conversion is modestly straightforward if you have a good tech who would be willing to make it happen. In my case we agreed on a not to exceed number and he held to it but there were some additional charges such as replacing the linear accelerator device (throttle box) to one with the 0-5K and modifying the mounts and linkage.

Columbia made an automotive quality wiring harness rather than just run wires in a loom which made the conversion more difficult to access the wires. He used a club car connector to the controller. Both the connector and accelerator pot he had laying around in his left over parts bins.

After it was all done we figured out it would have been easier to remove the Columbia harness and just rewire it pretty much as a Club Car He did generate a wiring diagram for me.

All in all it cost me about 1,000 more than just replacing the Sevcon but what I got in increased performance and easy of programming was worth it to me. YMMV on the added cost.

Alltrax is great to work with and helped generate a new field map for the motor. Neither D&D nor Columbia were of any help whatsoever on that. Aside from the field map our friendly tech service guru was of great help which made the project go easier.

I don't know if there are any significant differences between your Eagle and mine but it's only wires and, in reality there aren't even many of those.

The performance increase was quite a surprise to me and I still have not had to to top speed. Figured 37 mph was more than enough and that is spinning the motor way past max speed so I cruise at 25 to 30 and save the excess for passing. I will be adding the Alltrax 3 position personality selector and have one position for cruising, one for golf, and one to show off knowing that I might destroy the motor.

Anyway, that's the background. Dig into it and see if it's worth the extra $$$ and trouble. If it is, I would be willing to work with you in more detail.

Good luck

Dick
Old 09-04-2018, 10:04 PM   #4
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

If I get the Alltrax XCT-48500, do I need the 400A solenoid too?

Looking to get all the parts and info on this conversion so I can get started on it. I can do most of this if not all, but need the details please.

I am so ready to get this project started. I've also been looking into everything I'm going to need to do my other phases on this project too.

Phase 1: Get the cart up and running. Then work on the cosmetics of the cart. Its been painted a couple times and not real well either. Plus I have some patchwork to do on the back end. looks like they had something mounted on it at one time. Then new seats.

Phase 2: 4" Double A-arm lift and 22x10x12 tires and wheels.

Phase 3: Lithium Ion upgrade.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
bluwtr49
Not Yet Wild

Yes, you will need to also replace the solenoid. I can't remember the details but there was something about the input voltage of the stock solenoid being supplied by the Sevcon. It was also a bit light for use with the Alltrax.

When I get home in several days I will supply the info. I also have a wiring diagram I will attempt to post but it's a bit tough to read.

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:20 AM   #6
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

Thumbs up Re: Replacing a Sevcon 6337T45303 Controller with an Altrax XCT Round 2

Thank you Sir. It will be much appreciated.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #7
bluwtr49
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by swb713 View Post
Thank you Sir. It will be much appreciated.
Hi, just got home and I can't find the info on the the parts but have sent an email off to the service tech asking for the P/N's as well as a nice clean copy of the wiring diagram. I will I will also hook up to the controller and download my field map and controller settings to help get you started.

Do you have the controller yet and the Alltrax tool box software??

I notice you are planning on replacing the seat(s). do you have the bucket seats or the bench. I'm looking for a source myself so I have an option when my fabric bucket seats get overly worn.

Dick
Old 09-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #8
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

Talking Re: Replacing a Sevcon 6337T45303 Controller with an Altrax XCT Round 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluwtr49 View Post
Hi, just got home and I can't find the info on the the parts but have sent an email off to the service tech asking for the P/N's as well as a nice clean copy of the wiring diagram. I will I will also hook up to the controller and download my field map and controller settings to help get you started.

Do you have the controller yet and the Alltrax tool box software??

I notice you are planning on replacing the seat(s). do you have the bucket seats or the bench. I'm looking for a source myself so I have an option when my fabric bucket seats get overly worn.

Dick
I do not have the controller as of yet. I was waiting to see what all you had to order for this conversion. I have looked around and have ordered a new Super Duty Reversing Switch (Allbright SW202 and FNR rocker switch). On the Alltrax, is it the XCT-48500 IQ correct? I will also need the Super 400 Solenoid too I believe.
On the accelerator ... why did you have to change that out? and did he just put in a 0-5k Potentiometer like the Curtis style PB-6?

Would love to see some pics too.

As for my seats ... all I have for now is the bottom bench seat (no backs).
I am going to probably make custom seats and have someone cover them for me. I have the skills to do it, just no heavy duty sewing machine. I left that in Texas in 2011 when I moved to SoCal.

Attached are a couple pictures of what I am working with.

20180902_091930.jpg

20180902_091936.jpg

Thinking of something like this for the seats.
This is a rendering from LazyLifeSeatCovers(.com I think).
LazyLifeSeatsCovers.png

Old 09-19-2018, 12:55 PM   #9
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

Received my GOODY Package in today.

Alltrax XCT 48500-IQ
MZJ-400A Main Contactor
Alltrax FNKS
Super Duty SW202 FNR Contactors

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #10
bluwtr49
Not Yet Wild

Looks Good, I sent an email to the tech that did mine reminding him that I need a clean wiring diagram. This afternoon I will download all the personality settings and field map. Should be able to attach them latter today after golf.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar