lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2022, 10:27 AM   #1
snowkyle1
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Engine starts running backwards at stop.

hello forum! My name is Kyle Kendall and I am a small engine mechanic in the Eastern Oregon area. My specialty has been in construction and landscape equipment but I have become the de facto golf cart mechanic as there is no dealership in our area and no other mechanics that are willing to work on golf carts. I have a 1996 club car DS that I've been working on for a customer. Complaint is car doesn't want to start on occasion. I found that if you mash d the gas to the floor, it wouldn't start, but if you just give it a small amount of throttle it would fire right up. I've replaced fuel pump, fuel filters, fuel lines, cleaned the fuel tank cleaned the carburetor, replaced the carburetor, replaced the air filter, and finally checked and adjusted the valve lash. Now, the engine will occasionally backfire and or reverse direction upon stopping. Now my first thought was that I screwed something up when I adjusted the valves, but I have double and triple checked the clearances and they are within spec at top dead center on the compression stroke. I do not want to give this cart back to my customer as it seems to pose a safety risk. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated, next thing on my list I guess would be removing the cylinder head to check for excessive carbon buildup, but I want to make sure it's not something simpler that I'm overlooking.
snowkyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2022, 11:28 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Engine starts running backwards at stop.

The governor cable is too tight, and is pulling the throttle lever on the carb, or the throttle stop screw on the carb is not adjusted correctly. The throttle lever needs to close all the way when the pedal is released or you get dieseling and/or backfires when the engine stops. Also will cause backfiring when transitioning from off throttle to back on when moving at speed.
Often this is because of incorrect governor adjustment, usually someone wants the cart to go faster and adjusts the governor too tight, or it can be due to a damaged governor cable. The governor cable is the one that runs from the carb to the governor arm on top of the transaxle.

When you press the pedal down make sure the solenoid clicks and the engine starts spinning BEFORE the throttle butterfly starts to open. If the cable starts puling open the butterfly before the engine starts cranking you will have hard starting, and can also have dieseling and/or backfiring on shutdown.

Remove the cable ends from both the carb and the governor arm and make sure the cable moves freely in the sheath, it should move VERY easily. If there is even small amount of resistance or if it feels rough or sticks in one place the cable should be replaced.

Next thing to check is for correct adjustment of the throttle stop screw on the carb. Remove the cable from the carb and make sure the throttle return spring is properly in place on the lever. If the return spring is missing or stretched/damaged you'll need to get a new one.
Adjust the throttle stop screw all the way out until it does not touch the throttle lever, turn back In until it just begins to touch the lever, and then turn in another 1/4 turn.

While you're there set the idle mixture screw adjustment. If you have a factory carb the mixture screw is limited and should be set to the center of the adjustment range, then can be turned in or out roughly 1/6 of a turn either way to adjust starting mixture. When the mixture screw is set correctly the cart should start easily. If you still need to use the choke to start then turn the screw Out some to give more fuel for starting.
With an aftermarket carb the mixture screw is usually able to turn full 360. Turn the screw IN until it just barely touches the seat, then turn Out 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turn. Warm up the engine and see if it starts easily once warm. If starting is still difficult then turn out by 1/4 turn increments and check starting ease after each adjustment.

Governor adjustment is tricky and a small adjustment can make a large difference. Governor adjustment is done by loosening the nut on the governor arm and turning the governor shaft in relation to the arm. Before making any changes to the governor adjustment make sure there is not a zip tie on the governor spring. (small spring on the end of the throttle cable that attaches to the short end of the arm) If there is a zip tie remove it and see if it releases tension on the governor cable so the throttle butterfly can close all the way.
If there is no Zip tie on the governor spring, then first make sure the throttle cable adjustment is somewhere near the center of the threaded adjuster sleeve on the cable where it enters the black box. If this is adjusted too far to one end or the other it affects how soon the governor arm starts moving when the pedal is pushed.

After that is set, adjust the governor arm position slightly so the throttle lever will be closed with the pedal Up, and so the lever does not start to pull open until after the engine starts cranking. This can be tedious and time consuming to get right, often taking several tries to find the right balance, so governor adjustment is usually the last thing to change after checking everything else. Usually just making a change to the throttle cable adjustment will help, but if someone has monkeyed with the governor adjustment in the past then this will need to be reset to get proper starting and speed adjustment.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:51 PM   #3
BBissitt
Getting Wild

Club Car

Fairtax4me

thanks for this response great explanation, what happens if you remove the governor rod from the carburetor completely, it has no effect on the engine/spark/carburetor now if I'm correct. the caution is the possibly over revving the engine with the governor rod removed.

Regards
BBissitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:33 PM   #4
KartMan154
Gone Wild

Club Car

A new spark plug may help as well, use an NGK BPR5es
KartMan154 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car, fe290
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car