lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Marathon engine out. Worth saving?

Did a compression test yesterday. 60! Not what I wanted to see. I then ordered a full rebuild kit. Wanted to get a head start so I pulled the motor out this mornin. Pulled the head off, and the piston (although dirty) had no play in it. This was good news to me, but was short lived. Pulled the cylinder off, and found a few "issues". First, half of the piston skirt was gone. It had broken and was missing a sizable chunk. Strange thing is, I couldn't find any broken pieces anywhere in the crank case. I even put a stick magnet down into it, and only came up with some tiny shavings. The rings were very thin as well, and were extremely brittle, which seems odd because I had practically no play in the piston before I pulled the cylinder. Anyway, all of that will obviously be replaced with the rebuild kit. The most troubling find was a crack in the case where the S/G bracket mounts to the case, close to the intake. It's a pretty sizable crack. I'm thinking the case is shot. I know of a local guy that might have spare cases, so I'm thinking about checking with him. I am curious about any possible repairs, although I don't think jb weld is gonna do the trick on this one. Please see the photos at the link below, and please let me know if you have trouble viewing the photos so I can post a new link. I just threw them on photobucket a few mins ago. Bgw website wouldn't let me post from my phone, so I went with photobucket. Thanks in advance!

http://m1071.photobucket.com/profile...110syqGw8Ic%3D
frodrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon engine out. Worth saving?

I think your case is beyond salvageable.

I saw a whole 2PG engine in the classified section of this website a few days ago: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-...s-forsale.html
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Before you junk the case i would take it to a weld shop and see if they could tig weld it for you. Is that the only crack? That doesnt look too bad as long as theres no chunks or pieces missing.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If the case is weldable,the full rebuild kit with a new cylinder is less than $300 shipped.If you like the 2PG,rebuild and keep going,I Big-Blocked mine,but kept "Old-Faithful" for the kids cart.They are a good engine,just a little under-powered.But they are unbelievably reliable and durable.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm not sure if it's weldable yet. Gonna ask around tomorrow. I ordered the full rebuild kit, which should arrive tues/wed. Would prefer to fix or find another 2pg case as my kids will be rompin around the yard. From the looks of it, the crack extends quite a ways. What a bummer! Does anyone sell new or refurbished cases (in the event that it's not weldable, or I cant find one locally)?
frodrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You'd be amazed what a tig welder can do.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

that is not an uncommon break and most times they can be welded.
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO