lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2020, 04:10 PM   #1
Tburroughs11
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Post 2002 GAS EZGO TXT - Cranks but won’t start; no spark

I have a 2002 gas EZGO that I acquired from my brother in law. He couldn’t get it running so wanted it gone. He had replaced the solenoid and spark plugs as he wasn’t getting a spark. Once I got it, I wound up replacing the ignitor. Still nothing. So, I replaced the pulsar coil. Still nothing. After doing some research, I checked the coil with a DVOM and it tested outside the specified range. I bought another coil even though that one was relatively new and still have no spark. The battery has been tested, I have checked every ground that I can find. I have checked continuity on most wires to verify there isn’t a broken one. It appears that with the engine turning, I get a solid 10-11 volts to the coil but nothing alternating. I get an alternating 400 or so millivolts when checking the plug wires. I do get AC voltage on the pulsar coil. I am getting 0.642 volts. Any ideas on where to look next. I am no mechanic or electrician but can usually work through problem with research. Everything I have done came from this forum. Thanks in advance for your help.
Tburroughs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2020, 06:51 PM   #2
Kevin in NC
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2002 GAS EZGO TXT - Cranks but won’t start; no spark

What kind of engine does it have?
If it’s the 13hp Kawasaki it does not have a good reputation.
You may have to take it somewhere.
Kevin in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:26 PM   #3
Tburroughs11
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NC View Post
What kind of engine does it have?
If it’s the 13hp Kawasaki it does not have a good reputation.
You may have to take it somewhere.
It’s a Robin EH29C 295cc.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:53 PM   #4
newtjl
Gone Wild

Im guessing by your post that already have the manual. In case you don't, its here...http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/605586.pdf

I havent ever had much trouble with the electrical system on these so Id have to sit down with the manual in front of me and start tracing the fire.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:32 PM   #5
Tburroughs11
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes sir, I do but I appreciate the link anyway. I ordered a set of feeler gauges to verify the pulsar coil gap. I am thinking I have to be somewhat close or I would register a voltage reading off of it with the engine turning. I could be wrong though. After that I plan to try swapping the old ignitor back in to see if maybe that wasn’t the original problem and the new one arrived DOA. I’ve heard of stranger things happening.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:41 AM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Your pulser coil is not the problem
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:49 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Did you use an OEM or aftermarket ignitor?

For giggles run a ground strap from the mounting plate for the ignitor/coil/etc directly to the negative battery terminal. Ignitor gets ground THROUGH that plate and its commonly corroded and rusted on the bottom where it mounts to the. Body.

If the ignitor is aftermarket its junk. If the ground connection is bad there, it's also possible to damage the ignitor.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
Tburroughs11
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Did you use an OEM or aftermarket ignitor?

For giggles run a ground strap from the mounting plate for the ignitor/coil/etc directly to the negative battery terminal. Ignitor gets ground THROUGH that plate and its commonly corroded and rusted on the bottom where it mounts to the. Body.

If the ignitor is aftermarket its junk. If the ground connection is bad there, it's also possible to damage the ignitor.
It was an aftermarket ignitor. I went that route as I was unsure if there were other issues and figured it should work long enough to troubleshoot and possible fail quicker than an OEM part. I wouldn’t have thought I’d wouldn’t work at all.

As for the grounding of the bracket, I have taken all of that apart and ground down to metal on all connections as it was pretty rusted. The frame, bracket, and ring connectors are all metal to metal. If it ever quits raining I will try out your suggestion just to verify.

It sounds like I should bite the bullet and get an OEM ignitor? I can say that the ignition coil and pulsar coil are aftermarket as well. I used the same logic on these as I mentioned above. Who knows what other problems there could be as it doesn’t look like it was maintained very well. If I can get the spark back then I know I will need filters, oil change, and belts.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #9
Tburroughs11
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Your pulser coil is not the problem
That’s good to hear. What tells you that it isn’t the pulsar coil? The AC voltage that I get with the motor turning over or something else?
Old 05-16-2020, 10:28 PM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tburroughs11 View Post
That’s good to hear. What tells you that it isn’t the pulsar coil? The AC voltage that I get with the motor turning over or something else?
The AC voltage plus it is rare they go bad unless they were messed with. If they generate volts then they are good. At least that is what I was seen over the years .
The ignitors do go bad on occasion. I have even fried one while trying to start engine it with battery charger on high amps. I think that's what did it anyway :)
Most of what I see is the orange wire with white stripe from ignitor being not connected good to solenoid , especially after someone has been working in that area. Also like CP241 said a bad ground on plate that ignitors bolts to. I think
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO