lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
Lubes
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 89 EZGO Marathon rear axle replacement

Hello BGW,

I just bought a 1989 EZGO Marathon 2-stroke for a build project to work on with my two sons and I think I may have bit off more than I can chew. I work on all of my vehicles, motorcycles and such, but this is my first golf cart.

It had vibrations at higher speeds, so I put it up on jack stands and noticed the secondary (driven) clutch was wobbling off center. I removed the clutch hoping it could be replaced to fix the vibration, but then realized that the rear axle was welded. I believe the drive shaft that the clutch attaches to was slightly bent as well when the axle snapped, and that is causing the wobble.

My question is where should I go from here? Do I need to replace the entire rear axle assembly? What would be the best option for a replacement?

I live in Mid Missouri and there aren't a lot of places to find used parts, but I need to know what rear ends would work in this cart, whether it be an after market or OEM axle from other models.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1989_EZGO_Rear_Axle_v2.jpg (212.4 KB, 0 views)
Lubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2020, 05:44 PM   #2
Lubes
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 EZGO Marathon rear axle replacement

Update: I think I have the driven clutch running true now. However, I believe the driver-side axle shaft is bent. Haven’t had a chance to pull it yet, but I need some help on ordering a replacement.

The part number I found in the parts manual is 20377-G8. I can’t find that specific part. Does anyone have a cross reference on what other number would work on a 89 3pg?

Getting a lot of good info already from this site, so thanks to everyone who has contributed in the past. Saved me tons of headaches.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1BDF6A3C-0B8E-4C09-AF74-1FE91C9915AA.jpg (247.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 576AAA97-ADD7-44A9-B79C-0C8D30C68B08.jpg (187.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #3
Lubes
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Update 2: I had no luck finding a replacement, so I took the axle to a local machine shop and they were able to press it back to almost straight. Installed the axle with new seal and bearing and I’m happy to report that the vibration are gone.

Now I just have to replace seal and bearing on passenger side, brake pads, shocks, engine mount dampeners, etc... The fun continues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3C8239ED-8928-43DE-8691-E4995F87D8D1.jpg (119.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Nice fix
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:03 PM   #5
Familys88ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Nice looking cart. Way to think outside the box on the axle repair.

I have an 88 that I am rebuilding now, and some parts seem pretty hard to find. Good Luck!
Familys88ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO