lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2020, 08:08 PM   #1
jherrin215
Not Yet Wild

Default Please help me decpher my j10/j17 dilemma!

Hello all, first post here but I've been lurking for a while. I bought an early g1 earlier this year. Serial #003525, mid 79 model. Got to where it wouldn't start so I decided it was time for crank seals and a rebuild. I pull the motor tonight and to my surprise it's stamped j17-004371. I pull the head to see the stamp there and it's j1700. I assume someone at some point swapped motors and ended up with an 82 model motor. Where I'm confused is the Reed valve assembly is stamped j10. If I'm reading right does this mean that someone probably swapped in a j17 but swapped over the needed components to make all the j10 exhaust and intake work? If so can't I just swap the upper end of the motor and use my intake and exhaust parts? Thanks in advance for any assistance, this forum seems to be full of good help!
jherrin215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2020, 02:08 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Please help me decpher my j10/j17 dilemma!

The G1's have been around for a long time, and it's common that people rebuilt them with swapped parts. Most G1 parts will interchange. There was one exception, I think it was 1982 (someone will correct me) where they used a low compression version of the cylinder/piston/reeds/carb etc. Those will not interchange and they are different. If you have all the parts from an earlier or later G1 engine then, yes, you can swap them in.

Here is the link to the "G1 sticky", read through this, lots of valuable info. The low compression engine info is in there somewhere. Good stuff here that might be helpful to you.....

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=76176
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:51 AM   #3
jherrin215
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the reply! Yes the sticky you linked is critical for a golf cart newbie like myself, I have learned a ton about them from this site alone. I also got a club car ds at the same time I got this one and have completed a full engine rebuild and 6 inch lift with 23 inch tires on it using this site for reference. This one just has me a little puzzled as to what would be the best path. Would it just be to try to get j17 internals and rebuild the motor, or buy j10 oversize internals and bore the j17 jug to fit or buy a complete j10 upper since I already have the j10 intake and exhaust components. Just looking for advice! Thanks again!
Old 09-01-2020, 07:47 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If you have access to the parts, I'd switch over to the J31 top end.

If you want more performance with good reliability, you can use the Enticer 250 snowmobile top end (bolts in), and have more power. You would want to use the Plowman's power kit with it with a stock secondary spring. Use a 30 mm Mikuni carb and you'll be spinning at 7k and going 35 - 40 mph.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:40 PM   #5
jherrin215
Not Yet Wild

I don't have access to any parts other than what I can buy online. I want this cart to be more for the kids to ride around or use around the house and yard and keep the club car I mentioned earlier nicer to take camping and the such. I just want the g1 to be a dependable cart and don't want it to go overly fast so I don't have to worry so much with the kids just riding it around in the yard
Old 09-01-2020, 05:00 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Ok, just rebuild what you have. The bottom end is the same on all the G1's. If you buy a kit, get one with a matched piston. Take the piston and the cylinder to a machine shop and have them measure them to make sure they are exact. The chinese made kits are ok if they are sized properly. Don't mix brands.

You can also visit our sponsors page and give Plowman's Carts a call. He specializes in Yamaha carts and has good parts for sure.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:28 PM   #7
jherrin215
Not Yet Wild

That's what I would like to do but I don't know what parts to use since I can't seem to find a rebuild kit for the j17. I have been looking at the piston just now and it shows that it's .25 over so the cylinder has already been bored. Could I order a j10 piston and then just have the j17 cylinder bored to match? Can't find much info on the specs of the j17 to know what size the original piston is and how far it can be bored. I would love to just get it running again with a fresh piston and new crank seals but I'm just stuck at what parts to order to get it put together. I'll give plowman's a call and see if they have recommendations for a sock rebuild, I've seen they specialize in performance parts. Thanks again!
Old 09-01-2020, 06:29 PM   #8
jherrin215
Not Yet Wild

I also don't know about the head gasket. I know the bottom end deals will interchange but I don't know if a j10 head gasket will work with the j17 jug and head
Old 09-02-2020, 07:19 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Head is the same (I believe), or is interchangeable. Bottom end is the same. Your better off just buying a piston and cylinder and gasket. Call Don Plowman. He's the man with ALL the Yamaha answers.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha