lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
19dabeast85
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO engine running but cart not moving fast

I'm repairing a 1998 EZGO Robin 295cc cart for my boss. I was having trouble getting the engine to run well and traced it to the fuel pump/lines. Replaced fuel pump, filter, lines, carb gaskets, plugs and wires, air filter. The plugs were badly fouled, carb looked really clean inside.

ANYWAY, I know the engine runs because I can get it really high in rpms with the drive belt removed. The issue is that it barely putts around with the drive belt attached and the engine won't rev up. Acts like it was little power when drive belt is attached. When the drive belt is removed, the clutch snaps all the way shut at higher rpms.

Does it sound like the engine has low compression? I don't have my compression test kit with me today but what compression should I be looking for? I'm hoping it's something with the clutch and not engine internals....thanks
19dabeast85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
19dabeast85
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZGO engine running but cart not moving fast

Just did a compression check:

Cyl. #1: ZERO compression
Cyl. #2: 120psi after 6-7 compression strokes.

Looks like a rebuild is in the works. Does anyone know a ball park figure that most cart repair shops would charge to rebuild this engine. Bore .025, new pistons, new rods. ?? Just a rough estimate?
Old 06-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
19dabeast85
Not Yet Wild

Just to get this engine running for a while, do you think it would work to just replace the piston rings? Or maybe drop new standard size pistons and rings in?
Old 06-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

the cylinder that has 0 compression look down the spark plug hole and turn the clutch to ensure piston movement, If there is no movement it has a broke rod and no futher testing is needed. Try adjusting the valves before doing a compression test.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
19dabeast85
Not Yet Wild

I checked the valve adjustment and they are within specs .004. I thought about checking for a broken rod but didn't get to it today. I'm thinking he's not going to want to pay for a complete engine rebuild as this is the oldest cart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO