lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2020, 07:12 PM   #1
buggieman.eric
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default 2008 Yamaha Drive G29 deceleration/coasting noise

2008 Yamaha Drive G29

White tag axle.

The cart was driving fine and sounded fine. No abnormal noises. Recently one day the cart started hesitating when trying to accelerate. It progressively got worse to the point that it didn't always want to move. And stuttered bad when it did move. Discovered it was brushes. Pulled motor. Disassembled. Took high pressure air from compressor and sprayed out all the build up dust inside the engine casing. Sprayed the armature. Etc. Had the brushes replaced. Put it all back together. Has growl/grind when coasting, coming to a stop now.

Pulled motor. Pull armature grommet. Cleaned splines. Cleaned grommet (it looks old) Put 2 pennies behind it. Put a little grease on the splines. Put it back together. At this point you could tell that with the 2 prnnies behind the grommet that it was causing some pressure between the input and output shaft. Prior to the pennies the motor would sit flush on the axle housing without any hardware. Now the motor will rest on the splines but wasnt flush up to the housing because the grommet was bottoming out. So i put the hardware in by hand. Then tightened it down with a wrench essentially compressing the grommet between the input and output shaft. It got quiet for about 10 miles then started making the noise growl/chatter again during deceleration.

What gives? Will too much or too little pressure begind the grommet cause the noise?

Thanks in advance.
buggieman.eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2008 Yamaha Drive G29 deceleration/coasting noise

Too little pressure will allow the splines to "rattle", too much will put undue pressure on the armature bearing. Heres the part, and heres what I meant by using the penny as a gauge. Screw the "stuff pennies in the coupler" trick, your the only one getting "tricked". Never once has that done me a bit of good.

JH7-H1829-00-00 Grommet

Well, nevermind on the photos for now (it wont let me upload any).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:19 PM   #3
buggieman.eric
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

My question is why does the
noise return after some driving even with the pennies?

Am i damaging the armature bearing now? Should replace the armature bearing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Too little pressure will allow the splines to "rattle", too much will put undue pressure on the armature bearing. Heres the part, and heres what I meant by using the penny as a gauge. Screw the "stuff pennies in the coupler" trick, your the only one getting "tricked". Never once has that done me a bit of good.

JH7-H1829-00-00 Grommet

Well, nevermind on the photos for now (it wont let me upload any).
Old 04-20-2020, 11:51 PM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

Just do the new bumper (grommet), and get those stupid pennies out of there before any more driving. If the pennies are too thick, the damage is likely already done.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:44 AM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

Heres the part, and what I actually meant when referring to penny as a tool. Gap before tightening bolts should not be more than this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200420_155101.jpg (124.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200420_160649.jpg (84.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-21-2020, 05:38 PM   #6
buggieman.eric
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Update:

Removed 2 pennies. Got a grommet from local dealer. Still have noise.

After careful driving..

The noise is consistent with speed and doesnt sound like random clicks, clunks, chatter, or rattle. Its consistent with the regen. It sounds like flat metal sliding against another piece of flat metal at speed. But with more of growl sound rather than a shearing sound.

The faster you go, the faster the sound goes. The slower you go the slower the sound goes to a point that instead of a constant metal on metal sound, its a groove on groove sound at low speeds consistent with roation of wheels.

Underload, no noise.

If at any point the cart floats aginst the regen the noise happens. Even while driving on flat road. Once your at max speed the regen keeps you there and the cart occassionally will make the noise when the regen tries to maintain speed.

If you let off throttle the noise occurs. All the way until you come to a stop.

If you go down a steep enough hill the cart will coast a bit, make the noise, but once the cart gets enough speed to gather slack against the regen the noise goes away. If you press the throttle at all the noise comes back because everything slacks back up.

Whats crazy is before I started messing with it the noise only happend the last 15-20 feet when coming to a stop. Now it seems like its happening as soon as i let off throttle?

Whats next?
Old 09-21-2020, 07:46 PM   #7
ThrobThompson
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I'm in the same boat buggieman.eric. Replaced the grommet by itself. Noise completely gone...for 2 days. It's back. So frustrating. Any update on your situation?
ThrobThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:01 AM   #8
Bmg330
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I was having the same problem. I replaced the grommet and the noise came back the next day. Check the splines on the input shaft. Mine were worn so I replaced it and it fixed the noise. I ended up replacing the motor going to ac not long after though so I can’t tell you how long it actually would have lasted
Bmg330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:57 PM   #9
ThrobThompson
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

The input shaft splines looked fine to me at a quick glance. I am going to take the motor off again this weekend and inspect more. How difficult was it to replace the input shaft? I am interested in upgrading to the riot kit but I want to make sure I have this issue fixed before I spend the money.
ThrobThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:43 AM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

Replacing the input shaft on that one is a "remove the axle from the cart & split it in half", not as easy as all the other lucky bastards. A good amount of work involved to do it, but at least it will have new axle oil when your done.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha