lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2022, 03:19 PM   #1
benc62
Not Yet Wild

Default More Power for 1991 Club Car DS 36v

I recently acquire a 1991 Club Car DS with 3 12v marine batteries. It looks like it has the less desireable gray motor. It will go about 14 mph which is acceptable for me. But i would like a bit more torque for going up hills and accelerating. I dont really mind the range as it is about 10 miles. Most of my trips will be a mile or less.I was wondering if anyone could help me out with getting an idea of what it would take to get more power out of the cart without breaking the bank. Ive seen the D&D motors on amazon and have considered them, but i dont know how much more power you can get without replacing the resistors with a controller (alltrax or sepex i believe). Im also open to purchasing another marine battery to bump up to 48v if the controller and motor dictates it. I'm not too familiar with golf carts as a whole as this is my first one and I have only had it for a couple weeks. I'd like to keep my budget around $1000.

Thanks in advance!
benc62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2022, 05:00 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: More Power for 1991 Club Car DS 36v

Welcome to the forum. Be careful about modifying the cart without changing to solid state speed control.
every mod you make like gigger tires or bigger motor or added seating will increase the power draw. The increased amperage flow necessary to make additional power will cause a meltdown sooner or a just little later.
My advice is if you are going to run resistor coils keep the cart stock and run wide open throttle as much as possible. Slower speeds draw more amps and cause more heat.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:35 PM   #3
benc62
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: More Power for 1991 Club Car DS 36v

Thanks for the info. It makes sense. So a controller of some kind is an essential first step. Any ideas of what motor/controller combos can give me a boost? I would assume to get the full potential the cart could use an extra battery to bump it up to 48v, correct?
benc62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!