lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2022, 07:36 AM   #1
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default What about the flywheel PTO

I seen there were many doubting Thomas's when Vegascarts came out with the flywheel PTO for use with a clutch on Club Car golf carts. All sorts of doomsday predictions. Of course that turned out not to be true. MORE interesting I recently bought Mr Chevy's 2004 Cub Cadet lt2180. After really examining its 18 HP vanguard. I see the blades are driven off the crankshaft side with an electric clutch PTO and the tractor itself is driven by a flywheel mounted PTO. Pretty much any of the horizontal crankshaft engine lawn/garden tractors are set up this way. The question is why hasn't this been done YEARS ago for the Club Car engine swaps rather than that whole ordeal of running forward in reverse and having to add high speed gears to retain any forward speed ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2022, 07:42 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What about the flywheel PTO

It would be too easy. Cart modders like a challenge

Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 07:53 AM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I just looked performance Vtwins now sells the PTO for the Vanguards with a 1" diameter 3" long shaft with a 1/4" key way. With that item you could buy one of the often cheaply priced Vanguard Generator units and do a Club Car swap. Alas I see they are sold out at the present. Somebody spotted this before me they got sold out.
Old 07-21-2022, 07:57 AM   #4
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Moving a lawn tractor is a very light load taking only a couple of hp in most circumstances compared to pulling a belt driving the mower deck where most of the engines power is used especially in heavy/tall grass. A golf cart is geared much higher to attain speed so demands a lot more torque to get it going. One also has to consider the mass and inertia of a relatively heavy drive clutch and sheaves hanging off a long, relatively small, unsupported shaft stemming from the crank taper for the flywheel.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 08:30 AM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Another thing to consider is unless you go Industrial/commercial you might not get an engine with bearings on the flywheel side of the block so with out using a support or carrier bearing you run the risk of wearing the aluminum bore with the heavy side load.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 08:37 AM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Moving a lawn tractor is a very light load taking only a couple of hp in most circumstances compared to pulling a belt driving the mower deck where most of the engines power is used especially in heavy/tall grass. A golf cart is geared much higher to attain speed so demands a lot more torque to get it going. One also has to consider the mass and inertia of a relatively heavy drive clutch and sheaves hanging off a long, relatively small, unsupported shaft stemming from the crank taper for the flywheel.
We have pulled my cart with this tractor from the other side of the island along with pulling other cars and trucks with it. Most of the shaft driven lawn garden are set up this was even in the higher series units such as the early 3 series and later 700 series Deeres. P.S. Not a tractor expert by any means just trying to understand what is what
Old 07-21-2022, 09:00 AM   #7
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
We have pulled my cart with this tractor from the other side of the island along with pulling other cars and trucks with it. Most of the shaft driven lawn garden are set up this was even in the higher series units such as the early 3 series and later 700 series Deeres. P.S. Not a tractor expert by any means just trying to understand what is what
Shaft drives have no side loading unlike a belt or chain.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:10 AM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Make sense I guess
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!