lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2022, 01:52 PM   #1
MajorEstateCar
Not Yet Wild

Default What's dependent on what? Upgrading my '05 TXT 36v to 48v

Hello,
First time poster but I just spent a few hours scouring posts and reading a ton. I've learned a lot but I think there's just something lacking in my comprehension of how it would work to upgrade my 2005 TXT 36v.

My charger died and it appears a couple of the batteries are on their last leg so I got to thinking about upgrading but I think I'm not understanding what order I would upgrade things vs what things I would have to do at once.

If I want to replace the batteries with lithium ones, that's an 'easy' swap. No need to change anything.

If I want to upgrade to 48v to get more speed and range, I'd have to replace the batteries (lead acid or lithium), add a conversion harness, and replace the controller (but not the motor)?

Is there any upgrade that I would spend a bunch of money on that would limit me from upgrading other parts?

Should I just jump in with lithium for now, 48v, do the controller, and do the motor later?

Budget isn't too big of a problem but I'd love to split it up if I could.

Thanks in advance. I love the support in this group.
MajorEstateCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2022, 02:04 PM   #2
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What's dependent on what? Upgrading my '05 TXT 36v to 48v

Depends if you want to stay DC or swap to AC. Seems people like them both. I would weigh the costs both ways.

I started out the DC route and the dollars kept adding up faster than the speed. Here is the path I chose a bout a year ago.
Navitas 5K 600Amp conversion complete! I needed to buy a new TXT48 main wiring harness (625805) which I bought from Country Cat and watched YouTube video on how to modify/alter it. Install was pretty easy and straight forward. The hardest part was installing the 75 lb motor. I found the easiest way to do this was to remove the batteries and go in from there. I did have to remove the drivers side shock to gain clearance, this motor is 11-1/4" long. The torque on this thin is unbelievable and out of the box the speed is limited to 25 mph until you get the dealer app which I'll be doing this week. One thing I thought was odd was that they ship it with only 1-2ga motor cable but I chose to use 3 of my old 2ga cables from the old motor. If you have any questions along the way, Navitas tech support is very responsive and pride themselves with customer service. I bought the motor from Plum Quick which offered the best price and it arrived in 3 days.

You can also search some of my threads on this subject.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:31 PM   #3
MajorEstateCar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lenny View Post
Depends if you want to stay DC or swap to AC. Seems people like them both. I would weigh the costs both ways.

I started out the DC route and the dollars kept adding up faster than the speed. Here is the path I chose a bout a year ago.
Navitas 5K 600Amp conversion complete! I needed to buy a new TXT48 main wiring harness (625805) which I bought from Country Cat and watched YouTube video on how to modify/alter it. Install was pretty easy and straight forward. The hardest part was installing the 75 lb motor. I found the easiest way to do this was to remove the batteries and go in from there. I did have to remove the drivers side shock to gain clearance, this motor is 11-1/4" long. The torque on this thin is unbelievable and out of the box the speed is limited to 25 mph until you get the dealer app which I'll be doing this week. One thing I thought was odd was that they ship it with only 1-2ga motor cable but I chose to use 3 of my old 2ga cables from the old motor. If you have any questions along the way, Navitas tech support is very responsive and pride themselves with customer service. I bought the motor from Plum Quick which offered the best price and it arrived in 3 days.

You can also search some of my threads on this subject.
I'm open to either option. It sounds like the DC route can be done in phases with phase 1 being the motor and controller, but then you don't have to upgrade the batteries right away. Am I getting that right?

Also, if I'm going to replace the batteries I should do controller/motor/harness at the same time or before? I can't just upgrade my batteries to a 48v lithium now and expect it to work until I get the 48v harness, controller, and motor, correct?

The Navitas stuff looks nice. Are all of those kits Shunt motors (not series)? I'd like regen braking too if I'm gonna spend a few Gs.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:26 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Carts Unlimited TXT48 conversion kit will give you a big regen motor, good speed, and all new wiring with a rocker switch F&R here > https://www.cartsunlimited.net/txt48-conversion.html
And here on BGW > https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=182915
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:13 PM   #5
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

You can change to 48 volt lithium without changing anything else, it's just the power supply.

The Navitas is an AC induction motor that does not have any brushes and will get you enough torque to pop wheelies and climb hills plus about 33 mph on flat ground with 18" tires. Best to buy the whole conversion (motor & controller) if you go that route plus it comes with on the fly control for speed, torque & regen braking). Lithium will add more to that. From there you can go to 72 for even more. Everything except life insurance!
Old 08-06-2022, 08:32 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Popping wheelies breaks axles and springs. It's not for everybody.
30 mph in a golf cart feels like 100 mph in your car. That's not for everybody either.
Do your own due diligence. Figure out who will be using the cart and how. Remember the cart was designed for 12-14mph operation. Double that speed is severely taxing the design and function of the steering, suspension, and the 2 wheel brakes.
This is just my opinion based upon helping 30,000 people upgrade their carts over a decade of time. The fastest option is not always the best.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:13 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You need a power source first. Doesn’t matter what other upgrades you make, if you don’t have batteries you aren’t going anywhere.
Do some serious research on lithium, there are many dangers and downsides to the new hotness (like they’ll burn your cart to the ground and take your garage and/or house with it).
Lithium is a rabbit hole as far as I’m concerned. There are tons of options out there these days, but which brand or size pack to use depends on what you intend to use the cart for.
Stock cart doing stock cart stuff, most lithium batteries are probably fine. Modded carts running high power motors, big tires, high current demands like driving in sand or off-road or steep hills: lithium tends to have problems keeping up.

Come up with a goal set for what you want out of the cart. How much/how often do you plan to use it? Will most of its use be on smooth roads? Or will it be for trails, sand, mud, farm or garden use? Steep hills, or flat ground? All of these factors will influence what mods to make to get the cart where you want it to be.
As far as battery pack is concerned I’d you want the cart to be 100% stock with no upgrades then stick with 36v.
If you plan to make any upgrades at all, then switch to 48v. Higher voltage will give you better power, more efficiency, and longer run times.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:49 AM   #8
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Scottyb I understand your concern. As speed increases then braking should increase also. Regen is helpful as are front disc brakes. When you start lifting a cart (that was never designed for that) you raise the center of gravity which reduces stability and creates a roll over hazard. Looking at your picture I'd have to say that golf carts were not meant to be off road ATV's either but some people do get wild and crazy. Your business is based on improving performance all around isn't it?
Old 08-06-2022, 09:58 AM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I’m perplexed by the statement “lithium can’t keep up” with the high current demands of carts with big tires driving thru deep sand/mud and up steep hills.

Spend a week with me in Southwest Pennsylvania when it rains/snows all week and I’m out there driving my lithium powered cart up hills (I mean steep hills…like 30 degree inclines) .

The swap to light weight no maintenance lithium was the best upgrade I ever made.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:35 PM   #10
MajorEstateCar
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys! I am using the cart on the streets around my house. I don't need it going 35 mph, I don't plan on lifting it, but would like to "future proof" the cart and be able to get to like 26ish mph. The speed limits near me are usually about 30 so getting closer to that will just make it easier than constantly pulling over to let a car by. Maybe I'll put some slightly bigger tires on but I still want it to look pretty "old school clean".

It looks like I can just start with switching the battery to a 48v lithium battery now as a swap for the lead acids. Then in a few months, and after the wife stops complaining, I can do the controller/motor to a nice set up like the Navitas combos.

It sounds like the lithium change will get me a touch more power/acceleration (the controller currently limits me to 19mph) and range. All good. The motor won't burn up because its a PDS and doesn't have a serial style motor. So I can still use it in the meantime while I squirrel away my pennies for the motor/controller.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO