lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2020, 03:24 PM   #1
Skulkingghost
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up 2020 Icon I40L Review

Took delivery of my 2020 Icon I40L yesterday @ 3:30AM. I've put about 20 miles on it so far so wanted to post a quick early review. My previous cart was a gas 1999 Yamaha G16 with some plowmans upgrades I had it running between 18-24mph. I have driven a RXV, TXT, G29 Drive, Cazador and a handful of others as test drives but most of my experience has been my G16. Here is my homage (or straight rip off) of a Doug Demuro review. I don't often but I feel like this is justified as I scoured the internet for information on the Icon's and there was surprisingly little so I hope this helps future purchasers.

Model: Icon I40L
Purchase Price: $8295
Purchased From: Performance Plus Carts
Delivery Time: <3 Business Days of Payment (3am Delivery!)

Styling:

I think the Icon is one of the more beautiful stock carts on the market. The candy apple red color really stands out. I've have 3 different neighbors comment on it's color since pickup. I live in a sea of black and blue carts so it definitely stands out. I would have preferred two-tone seats with white or black stripes but the all black seats are nice too and offer a good contrast.

The headlights really make the Icon stand out. The daytime running lights are very cool looking with a led angel-eye effect around them. At night they look great as well, with high and low beams.

Turn Signals On:

Backside:
The rear of the cart is equally as nice the grab bar with built in footrests is built very solidly, but does need a bit of tightening stock. Excuse my messy garage. The rear lights are just as eye-catching as the front. The only downside is that I wish the rear floor was metal instead of polymer.

Acceleration:

The cart zips nicely up to 25mph (I've seen 26 and 27 but most of the time flat-out my cart only hits 25mph.) 0-25mph I've clocked at ~12 seconds. It won't push you back in your seats but its a decent time. It doesn't have anything compared to a plowman / navitas / alltrax style setup though. The cart has a really nice speedometer with voltage / power remaining, MPH, odometer, and runtime on it. There are also warning indicators for headlights, turn signals, reverse, and brakes.

Batteries
The cart is powered by a 6x8 Crown CR-165 batteries, though I've seen them offered with 4x Trojans. The cart has a built in charger

Motor:
The motor is a 48v LVTONG AQH4T-41018/090 rated for 2935 rpm.

Handling

I'll preface myself by saying this is my first time driving something with this big a lift. It drives very smooth on and off the road. The springs feel a bit stiff though. At higher speeds it seems a bit more squirrely, certainly manageable but more roll then I was expecting. I wish I had driven a non-lifted to compare it to, but it just may take a bit more getting used to. Additionally the inside of the rear fenders rubs against the tires on left or right so I've had to bend the plastic a bit there to stop the noise. The hydraulic disk brakes are really good and feel super capable. The Sport steering wheel is nice too but feels small.

Fun Factor:

Definitely fun to drive and extremely quiet. Can take it on the trails in my neighborhood as well as downtown so lot's to do on it. WE had a blast doing those activities on our old cart so I expect to have the same with this.

Cool Factor:

The Icon is definitely a cart that stands out. Lined up next to rows of other cart brands in our area (when registering it I was told I had the first Icon in the area) it definitely sits apart. The lights really make it stand out, but the color and lift and brush-guards do too.

Features:

The cart comes ready to charge. For the price its feature set can't be beat. To be an AC cart with new Crown Batteries, onboard charger and built in speedometer + USB ports you really can't complain. What I will complain about is how freaking LOUD the back up indicator is. They used a second horn for it and it's ungodly now. I will be tweaking that. The horn is separate at the front of the car and also incredibly loud, but I'm not against that.

I do have a few wishes:
  • More USB ports between seats instead of on the front
  • Lightbar
  • Stereo
  • Parking Break Indicator
  • Louder Turn Signal Indicators (I don't realize they are still on sometimes)
  • Hazard Lights (Unless I Missed How To Set These)
  • High Beam Toggle (Right now you have to hold the stock)
  • Foldable key
  • Rubberized cup holder and ESPECIALLY phone holder slots as things tend to rattle.

Comfort:

The ride is very comfortable. The seats fabric feels like it may be a bit thinner then I am used to with the G16, but still very good. The seats are very wide allowing a lot of room between passengers. As a fatter guy (6ft ~290lb) I do wish the belts were a bit longer. I also wish the steering wheel was bigger:

Quality:

The cart parts seem to be pretty high quality. There is a bit of normal rattling but nothing too obnoxious. The front windshield when its down squeeks a LOT but hoping I can tweak that to fix it. The rear seat bounces up and down if no one is seated in it and that really bothers me, I may try to hold it down a bit better with the rear seatbelts or something. The cheapest feeling thing on the cart in my opinion is the key. It feels like a plastic fob on top of cheap metal, not at all like the car key feeling they were going for. Additionally the seatbelts don't retract well for the bigger passengers, leading to lots of readjustments trying to get it back into the holster nicely.

Practicality
If I could do it over again I'd probably not go for the lift. I had to tweak the opening of my garage and as you can see its a REALLY tight fit. Around town it's great. It feels much bigger then my G16 (because it is) but that hasn't been an issue.

Value
For me this is why I chose Icon. Being able to get a brand new cart with a 2+ year warranty was important. In GA cart prices are insane right now. 2016 RXV and TXT's are going for like 7k. The base icon is 7k, for an additional $1400 you just get the list. I feel like It'd be better priced with only a minor difference. However with AC drive and motor and everything else comparable carts were easily 11-13k new in my area.

Overview:
I'm going to steal the Doug Score to rate the cart out of 10:

Overall: 81/100
  • Styling: 9/10
  • Acceleration: 7/10
  • Handling: 7/10
  • Fun Factor: 9/10
  • Cool Factor: 9/10
  • Features: 8/10
  • Comfort: 8/10
  • Quality: 8/10
  • Practicality: 7/10
  • Value: 9/10

Link to more photos on Imgur:
https://imgur.com/a/tRf0wNr
Skulkingghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon