lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2022, 08:09 AM   #41
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO works one day, and doesn't the next

The sun, moon, atmospheric pressure, wind, rain, snow, fog, etc can cause intermittent problems with golf carts too.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2022, 10:56 AM   #42
XCOP1152
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by acguy_409 View Post
Just my .02. All the dirt, mud, and water in the F-R switch can't be good. Good electrical troubleshooting includes visual inspection. Your fifth picture (far right) shows your solenoid, which has oxidized terminals(a possible symptom of failure), and I can't see the bottom cable, but it appears to maybe have been heated/melted insulation. Inspect the large posts for discoloration, which is an obvious indication of heat damage. A bad one might be dark in color, or even orange. Solenoids can undoubtedly fail but still click when activated if this is the failure mode. The clicking is the only magnetic slug moving, but it doesn't mean there is good electrical continuity and power transmission capability between the large contacts. Conversely, a solenoid that does not click, may not be getting excited by the coil, or may just plain be bad internally. Again, yours is oxidized on the coil terminals. I have replaced several that didn't click and were bad, and others that clicked, but were bad. I have also had solenoids welded, causing hard power to be applied to the controller constantly when the key was on. The 500 ohm resistor precharges the controller thru these same contacts, and will show voltage on both large terminals, and is not necessarily an indication of failure, so you have to isolate it from the power circuit to troubleshoot the solenoid properly. Either way, don't overlook the many failure mode possibilities of this 29 dollar part that in my opinion is a weak link in these carts.
Thanks for the info. Everything you said makes sense. I ordered a new solenoid, resister, and diode, but have not installed them yet. I am waiting for it to stop running again so I can troubleshoot the pedal box a little more.

We're in a cool spell here in Virginia, and the cart has been running consistently for the last few days...something that hasn't happen in a long time.

Thanks again!
XCOP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 11:04 AM   #43
XCOP1152
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
The sun, moon, atmospheric pressure, wind, rain, snow, fog, etc can cause intermittent problems with golf carts too.
Here is something else I found out. The cart stays at my parents house, and there was a time period a couple months ago where it was left out in severe rain, parked half under the deck, which caused a waterfall directly down into the battery compartment behind the seat. I do not remember the battery compartment looking so poorly/oxidized before this.
Old 08-20-2022, 03:23 PM   #44
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

While you are awaiting delivery of the solenoid suggest you make and record some voltage measurements on the black and white wires on the six pin connector on top of the controller. These connections are the signal from the ITS. Take these measurements using B- battery negative as reference under various operating conditions. The next time the cart fails to operate make these same measurements again and compare them. The ITS module, the controller or a faulty connection appears to be the culprit.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:01 PM   #45
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Yes…but tin foil hats will prevent most of that.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:42 AM   #46
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Any updates? Almost sounds like the Pedal switch because its jumping from 0 to 14.4v at once. Shouldn't it progress as pedal is pressed? I def am not a electrical wizard but I took the time to read all the posts and this is my determination....lol
rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 03:37 PM   #47
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose88 View Post
Any updates? Almost sounds like the Pedal switch because its jumping from 0 to 14.4v at once. Shouldn't it progress as pedal is pressed? I def am not a electrical wizard but I took the time to read all the posts and this is my determination....lol
Not exactly. If the pedal was not working you wouldn't get any voltage. Yes, this voltage should vary as the pedal is pressed. There is an intermittent problem in the ITS circuit somewhere.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:30 PM   #48
Threeput
Gone Wild

Another check.....does your cart have a plug going into the brake....if it does check to see if it is coming off by putting run/tow switch to tow with key in N....it should be able to move freely by pushing it...if it doesn't wiggle the brake plug and listen for a click...I had intermittent problems not running till I discovered the brake plug was not making contact sometimes...I removed the plug bent one of the contacts in the plug in a little....no more problems
Threeput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 11:51 AM   #49
XCOP1152
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
While you are awaiting delivery of the solenoid suggest you make and record some voltage measurements on the black and white wires on the six pin connector on top of the controller. These connections are the signal from the ITS. Take these measurements using B- battery negative as reference under various operating conditions. The next time the cart fails to operate make these same measurements again and compare them. The ITS module, the controller or a faulty connection appears to be the culprit.
Today is Saturday, September 3rd. It has been weeks since we’ve had trouble with the cart. At my dad‘s insistence I am replacing the solenoid, diode, and resistor today.

I took baseline voltage readings and recorded them for future reference.

I do not really expect the new solenoid to remedy my problem, but I suppose it needs to be changed anyway. So here we go. I will post some pictures as I get into it.
Old 09-03-2022, 11:54 AM   #50
XCOP1152
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose88 View Post
I apologize for not updating. The cart has been running properly for weeks now. Today I am changing the solenoid, the diode, and the resistor. I do not expect this to remedy my problem, but the solenoid needs to be changed.

I will post an update once I get into it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO