lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2022, 05:50 PM   #11
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Powerwise II Parts?

I can’t see what you have the meter set on but if you followed the instructions in the video then I’m thinking it’s bad. They’re cheaper than a board so might not hurt to give it a try.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2022, 06:23 PM   #12
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

In a Powerwise 2 the relay is mounted on a small circuit board and is a relatively cheap and easy replacement. But if the "timer" board that it screws to goes bad the price of that can make you swallow your bubblegum.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:12 PM   #13
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Take your capacitance meter to a place that sells capacitors and test one of them. A typical capacitor range would be around 8 Mfd 600 volts AC. Take your suspect capacitor with you and compare reading with known good capacitor.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 11:08 AM   #14
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxMasterBoat View Post
That was going to be my next test after the capacitor.
If the transformer isn’t making any noise the capacitor won’t matter.. Just sayin..
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 11:39 AM   #15
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Did you listen for the relay in the charger to click when you plug charger into cart? This relay is powered by the cart battery voltage. I hear mine click a few seconds after I plug it into cart. This relay completes the AC path to the transformer. No click no hum.
Old 08-27-2022, 11:55 AM   #16
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
If the transformer isn’t making any noise the capacitor won’t matter.. Just sayin..
Maybe but sometimes other components that fail cause other problems. Anyway if you are going to check a capacitor troubleshooting you need to know your test equipment can be trusted. Capacitors also short out.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:16 PM   #17
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I completely agree.. That said you can test the cap all day long but if the transformer doesn’t power up you are wasting your time..

If you end up needing a cap attached is a pic of one that will work..
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 56367792-BDD6-4235-87E9-AA73A6E10242.jpeg (19.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-29-2022, 04:53 PM   #18
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

To TxMasterBoat,
Capacitor may not be the problem but it would be a good test to get familiar with your meter. The video you watched shows how simple it is. You don't have to know what the value of the capacitor is to measure it. If you are going to fix this thing you need to review what others have suggested. Typical capacitors in these type of chargers are in the range of 8 to 20 Microfarads. Post a pix of your meter so those of us are trying to help you select the right settings on you meter to make some measurements of why the transformer don't hum when you plug it in without you having to plug it in to AC. I am not real familiar with this charger. I had the opportunity to repair only one (mine). It had low current output and proved to be a weak capacitor.
Old 09-03-2022, 12:12 PM   #19
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

My Powerwise Industrial charger (Model 28115G01) has developed a problem. It has been working about 7 years with no problem. I know the charger is bad because I have another more modern Powerwise 2 works. I got a chance to review some of the advice I have offered on this post. My charger suddenly developed low output current and a more than normal hum when it turns on. First thing I checked was the capacitor. It was badly corroded and rusted but it measured 19.8 Microfarads. A substitute capacitor did not change anything. Both diodes checked good. The only abnormal indication was the secondary of the transformer got warm after a few minutes of operation. Neither diode was more than warm to the touch. This charger also has a circuit board mounted in front of the diode heat sink may be the problem. My GUESS is the transformer is bad. I am not going to replace it. I did make one observation with the capacitor disconnected. The charger would not hum when powered up and plugged into cart.
Old 09-03-2022, 12:59 PM   #20
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Went and found an old thread with the charger manual and diagnostics. With the capacitor connected the transformer should be putting out high 80s to low 90s AC. If not it is bad.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 35827_A1.pdf (1.59 MB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO