lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2018, 09:55 PM   #1
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Equus 8086 Tach Pickup

In the past its been discussed lengthening the pick up cable. Today I cut open the cable on my sender unit to see what the mystery was. It's a signal cable like a guitar cable. I bought some instrument cable and will attempt to re make my whole cable only longer. I really like my 8086 and its been on the shelf. I'll keep you posted and pictures when I have something real to post.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2018, 10:25 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Equus 8086 Tach Pickup

If you aren't successful you can just buy a new pick up and cable. But with your talents I feel sure that won't be needed. For others the replacement is called Equus 9995 replacement pick up. I tried cutting one up and adapting it to a Sun pro III.It did not work but it looked more like a small co-axial cable inside to me. I should have tried piecing it together and using it on my 8068 for a test but I never did bother.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:02 AM   #3
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
If you aren't successful you can just buy a new pick up and cable. But with your talents I feel sure that won't be needed. For others the replacement is called Equus 9995 replacement pick up. I tried cutting one up and adapting it to a Sun pro III.It did not work but it looked more like a small co-axial cable inside to me. I should have tried piecing it together and using it on my 8068 for a test but I never did bother.

Your correct in saying co-axial cable. That's what a guitar cable is -- a single wire shielded cable. I found some that's real small stuff for wiring the pickups inside a guitar from Stewart McDonald.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

A single rca cable might also work, unless the center wire has some strange resistance or something. Cable tv wire is like that its 50 ohms or whatever.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

There are 2 poles on the plug that goes into the tach.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I'm sure its shielded wire and the outside is ground, or it would make noise into any radio.....is my guess.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:21 PM   #7
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I've got my order from Stewart MaDonald. 25 ft of 26awg braided shield cable. I opened up the cable and the original brown wire is "spiral" wrapped shield single core type. It's the same diameter with a braided shield -- I figured instead of connecting 2 cables together in the middle I would just replace the whole length of wire.
If you look inside of the clamp on pick up you can see the type cable used to connect it. I do miniature soldering a lot so I'll post some pictures tomorrow of the work.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:15 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Probably easier to replace if you can get the clamp apart. Getting the shield back together without holes can take a little messing around, and depending in what kind if insulator is used.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #9
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I was successful soldering a new longer cable for my tachometer pickup. Now I have to test it for complete success. Here are a few pictures of what I did. The first picture is of the braided cable I used. The second picture is of a factory wired pickup - the third is one I soldered -- the fourth is the 2 side by side. The originally cable was spiral wrapped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5733.JPG (230.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5721.JPG (212.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5719.JPG (227.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5738.JPG (231.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-31-2018, 09:52 PM   #10
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Well it was a complete flop - no joy. Whatever the reason it didn't work. Luckily I had ordered a new pickup just for this reason. It sure is nice having my big tach back.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!