lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2022, 11:49 AM   #1
poorpeter
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Default 16' EZGO RXV resistor coil red hot

Have 2016 EZGO RXV 48V electric. Had to put this thing back together a bit. The solenoid was disconnected from the controller, looks like one of the small terminals bolts was freely rotating. Replaced solenoid and wired everything back up. The speed sensor was disconnected and looked like a rat ate through the wiring. Replaced speed sensor. Hooked new batteries up and turned on - everything went fine, cart went in forward and reverse just fine, until we noticed the heat coming off the resistor coil behind the controller. It was HOT. Disconnected the batteries immediately. Did a second test, reconnected batteries and left cart in OFF key position. No heat. Put in FORWARD position and immediately resistor coils heat up, to red hot within 15 seconds. Haven't found anything on the new RXV resistor coils here. What do you think we're looking at here...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1641833351591.jpg (432.7 KB, 0 views)
poorpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2022, 04:59 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 16' EZGO RXV resistor coil red hot

I am not familiar with that setup but that thing looks like it's designed to get hot.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 06:49 PM   #3
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've never seen mine red hot, always able to touch the resistor cover. Something must be wrong!
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:40 AM   #4
poorpeter
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Yeah, I mean, they definitely get hot, that's the nature of a resistor, but holy-moly I had my hand on it to gauge the temperature increase...as soon as key went to F I had to remove my hand instantly because you could feel it heating like it was a wire between the terminals of a battery and a couple seconds later it got red hot. Pretty crazy. No clue what this cart has been through but its a doozy.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:58 AM   #5
poorpeter
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Welp, swapped out the controller today. Problem went away. Different problem than I've ever encountered, not sure what went bad in the controller to cause that but hey. It was the controller. Case closed.

Tags
coil, overheat, red hot, resistor, rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO