lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2022, 08:17 AM   #11
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Yamaha G1 eats through coils

No G1s have points, do they?

All the same, I have found that ignition components are susceptible to too much current in a circuit more so than voltage. Old carts normally used internally resisted coils for this very reason. These coils simply have a resistor in them to knock the current down without impacting voltage. I don't believe G1 coils are internally resisted.

Personally, I would add a ballast resistor in your circuit just prior to the coil. It could be that your generator is putting out too much current and that is killing your coils. Resistors are cheap and will take all of 5 mins to install. No harm can be done by installing one.

Ballast resistors can be had for all types of resistance ranging from 1 to 100 ohms. Personally, I would go with about 2 ohms and see what happens. At worst, that can cut current too much which will stop spark altogether. That's when you use a "lighter" one to get your spark back. You need to find the "sweet" spot so that the resistor is knocking current down enough so that electronics aren't damaged but not so much that spark is lost.

This is a thread about coils / resistance as they pertains to HD / Columbia carts. Obviously this won't directly apply to G1s but the logic is the same:

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=123033
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2022, 05:03 PM   #12
Gone52
Not Yet Wild

Problem solved. I ohmed out the stator, the generator, the starter/generator and the new China coil. All of it checked out good. Turned out that it was the battery being weak. I put a trickle on the battery for 3 days, and measured the voltage of the generator when it was running. It’s up around 15.5 volts. However, now my radio cuts out when it’s running so I had to put a voltage regulator in it. Put over 20 miles on it since without a hiccup. Apparently the undervoltage was increasing the ampherage to a level that was eating coils. Thanks everyone! Also thanks for the shop manual link!
Gone52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:33 AM   #13
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone52 View Post
Problem solved. I ohmed out the stator, the generator, the starter/generator and the new China coil. All of it checked out good. Turned out that it was the battery being weak. I put a trickle on the battery for 3 days, and measured the voltage of the generator when it was running. It’s up around 15.5 volts. However, now my radio cuts out when it’s running so I had to put a voltage regulator in it. Put over 20 miles on it since without a hiccup. Apparently the undervoltage was increasing the ampherage to a level that was eating coils. Thanks everyone! Also thanks for the shop manual link!
running voltage should normally be around 13.5 to 14.5
the stock yamaha voltage regulator is adjustable and alot of times on golf courses they upped the voltage to around 17.5 to help keep the batteries charged on the short runs made on the course. i would think with the added accessories uping the votlage to 15.5 to 16.5 would probably be a good thing
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:14 AM   #14
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone52 View Post
Most radios are going to be rated at 10-15 volts or right around there. So it wouldn’t surprise me the radio cuts out at 15.5v. If the regulator is adjustable as mikeasis suggests (I think I’ve had adjustable VR’s in a couple G2’s) then turn it down to where it maxes out around 14.5v as you’re cruising wide open and you should see your radio stop cutting out.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 01:51 PM   #15
Gone52
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
running voltage should normally be around 13.5 to 14.5
the stock yamaha voltage regulator is adjustable and alot of times on golf courses they upped the voltage to around 17.5 to help keep the batteries charged on the short runs made on the course. i would think with the added accessories uping the votlage to 15.5 to 16.5 would probably be a good thing
Yeah I ended up just leaving it the way it was and put a separate regulator in for the radio and it works perfect now. I’d rather keep the stock voltage regulator cranked so it charges the battery on short runs, like you guys said. But so far so good! Got 29 mph out of it today on flat ground too 😎
Old 07-21-2022, 03:30 PM   #16
Gone52
Not Yet Wild

Problem actually solved!!! So… the voltage regulator helped the radio. But I turned the stock one down and removed it but the radio was still cracking up on me. It was like I could hear the spark in the radio. SO turns out it was the spark plug not being an resistor type spark plug. When I swapped the coil, I had already swapped the spark plug to a non resistor type. I went from a BPR4HS (apparently burnt the coils out) to a BP5HS (non-resistor type plug) and the cart has been running great ever since, but I could hear the spark in the radio. SO new question… could the resistor type plug be burning out my coils? I called NGK and they said no, it shouldn’t make a difference. My plan is to put a BPR6HS in (I’m at sea level), gap it correctly and hope for the best. Does anyone have experience with this?? I tried searching.

Tags
cdi, coil, ignition, spark, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha