lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #11
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

Default Re: 1979 HD 3 wheel Restore Project

ok it would be a lot easier to buy a upper end kit then to have it overbored. i know you can buy rings up to .070 over, and the piston. problem i found is finding a shop that can or would even think of boring the jug, since it has 3 holes in it. one for the exhaulst, one for intake and a blow out chamber. they advised me it would either chip and tear up ther teeth on there machine, or the same to my jug, and i was head responsable for the damages to there machine!
if you buy the uper end kit for around 175 you get a new jug, gaskets, piston, rings, and wrist pins and rings.
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-11-2012, 04:54 AM   #12
Wagster
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

I inherited a '79 HD Model D a few years back. It spent many years sitting idle with fuel in the tank. Even though I put fresh fuel in it when I got it running again there was a lot of "gunk" in the tank that eventually worked its way into the carb. Lesson learned.

I have no patience for rebuilding carbs so I bought a new one. Removed the gas tank and gave it as thorough a cleaning as possible given the small opening to work with.

Put it all back together with a fresh fuel filter and a new screen filter to go in the tank and it's been running great ever since.

I'd love to see more shots of your cart as you progress. The body on mine doesn't have as much damage as yours but it's still in need of some TLC. I could sure use some inspiration!
Wagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #13
pastorlee
Not Yet Wild

Just an update...

We have rebuilt the engine and it runs and starts really well. We are now going to start the body rebuild. clean and shine everything, repaint engine parts and frame, restore fiberglass damage. We may not paint it this year but it will be ready to paint by July. I will post pictures soon of the engine and the the sweet Chrome Harley Davidson emblems someone donated for our project.
pastorlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

First recheck your compression and be sure it is correct. I don't think it would run at all with 35# compression. Also check the cylinder bore. You might get by with just replacing the rings. Again check e-bay I have seen cylinder kits for as little as $130.00 plus freight. Don't worry about "more than you can chew" there a great bunch of people on this forum that will give you all the help you need.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1979, 3wheel, harley
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson