lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #11
mbisges
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 82 Harley Drive Belt Slipping

Ok, so after looking into my issue further I found that it was not spinning fast enough to start spinning the belt. Found out that there was no gas getting to spark plug. The pick up line in the fuel tank had fallen off so I replaced it and it started running ok for a little while then stopped. The fuel line was not staying full. I tried priming the line by putting gas in the line then reconnecting it to the vacuum fuel pump. It started far a brief moment then ran the line dry again almost like the vacuum fuel pump was not creating suction. After looking at some other forums I've notice people replacing these with small electric fuel pumps (found a 2.5 psi one at autozone) and connecting them to the accelerator switch. If I do this I had a couple questions that I was hoping someone might be able to help with.

1. If you replace the vacuum pump with electric do you need to plug the line coming from crankcase?

2. Does anyone know where the accelerator switch is located on the HD carts?

3. Would it be best putting the electric pump closer to the carb or the fuel tank. I have a fuel filter about six inches from the fuel tank right now but can move it easily.

Thanks again and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
mbisges is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #12
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

If you can properly identify your fuel pump you may be able to get a repair kit for it for as low as $5. Those pulse pumps are somewhat universal so often times these carts and other small engines got their pumps replaced so you can't just order a kit based on the model. Mine has a Mikuni and I got a kit from a small engine shop for about $10. Its basically just 3 or 4 really thin gaskets. 1 has flaps on it that is the check valves. One is the main diaphragm and the last gasket is just a spacer that goes between the bits. I was worried about mine keeping working and I found the same model new on ebay for $20 so now I have a spare that so far I have not needed.

I have not had the best luck with electric pumps but if that is the direction you go yes you need to block the line coming from the crank case. Its pulses alternating vacuum and pressure so you need something a little stronger than just a piece of tape. The micro switch is under the floorboard under the drivers seat. I would not connect to the micro switch, its a bad location. An easier spot would be at the solenoid.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
mbisges
Not Yet Wild

Update on the golf cart. The electric fuel pump definitely got the job done getting fuel to the carb.... Only to find out that the carburator needed rebuilt. Instead of buying a complete rebuild kit I was able to get just get the new parts I needed to fix my issue. Everything thing else inside the carb was still good. After putting the carb back together and the new electric fuel pump the cart came awake and ran better than it ever has...... for about 20 minutes.. Ended up needing new air filter which i've ordered and waiting on. With the air filter off she runs just fine. Hoping I am getting close the end on working on the engine. Next step will be repainting the body.
mbisges is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, drive belt, harley, slipping
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson