lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
plassman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Unhappy Electical "pop", then dead cart

I've had my 1998 EZGO TXT Series cart for 5 years now with no issues. Last weekend, I was parked on a hill and when I put it in reverse to start to move again, I heard an electrical pop. It was raining heavily at the time, so I wasn't sure if something shorted out or what.

I've tried to diagrnose what I could with the help of this site, but I'm not really pinpointing anything in particular. I replaced the solenoid tonight and still no luck. Before I invest a lot in a new controller, I wondered if there is anything else I should try?

When I tested the controller, I had full battery voltage (between M- & B-) with just barely engaging the pedal and as I accelerated, the voltage did not drop or change at all. Could this be a controller issue?

I also did the continuity test on the F/R switch and it seems to be okay.

I'm willing to start replacing parts at this point because I want the cart running again. I'm just not sure where to start. A new controller seems like a big investment if it's not the issue. And I'm not even sure which controller to purchase either. Seems like there are different amperage controllers and I wasn't sure they are interchangeable. My cart was pretty much stock, not customized at all.

Any advice or help you could give me would be great! Thanks for your help in advance!
plassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2014, 10:08 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Electical "pop", then dead cart

Stock controller? If so, any distortion of the black plastic case on the controller itself? Any funny smell around controller?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:55 AM   #3
plassman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, stock controller. The black cover looks to be in fine condition and no smells either.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If you have FULL battery pack voltage between B- and M- when the pedal is pushed just far enough for the solenoid to click and it does not drop as the pedal is pushed to the floor, either the throttle input to the controller is bad, or the controller is bad.

Verify you have battery pack voltage on Pin-4 (Red wire) when solenoid clicks. (This turns controller ON)

Check voltage From B- to Pin-1. Should be 0.4V to 0.6V when solenoid first clicks and increases to 1.5V to 1.7V when pedal is on floor.

If you are getting those voltages, the controller is being told to pass amps to the motor, and if it isn't, the controller is bad.

-------------
Installing a higher amperage controller will give your series drive cart more torque, but not more speed.

The stock controller is 275A and most people go to a 400A controller.
The stock motor can handle 400A controller, but going much higher than that will very likely require a more robust motor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
plassman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the information! I'll have to do some more testing based on your response. But regardless, it probalby wouldn't hurt to upgrade my controller from the stock version to a 400 AMP one. I'm not looking for more speed, but a little extra torque would be nice.

Would something like a 400 Amp Alltrax controller (NPX4844EZ) be a good one to order? or what would you recommend?
Old 09-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Package #484 or #485 at Scottyb is the one you want http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html. Scottyb is a site sponsor to.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by plassman View Post
Thanks for the information! I'll have to do some more testing based on your response. But regardless, it probalby wouldn't hurt to upgrade my controller from the stock version to a 400 AMP one. I'm not looking for more speed, but a little extra torque would be nice.

Would something like a 400 Amp Alltrax controller (NPX4844EZ) be a good one to order? or what would you recommend?
I'd go with the AXE or SPM family of controllers since the NPX family isn't user programmable while they are and you can tweak them to match your needs and preferences.

The SPM is the latest technology, but the AXE has been doing the job for years.

With a '98 cart, I suspect your high current cables are 6Ga, so replacing them with 4Ga will help in the torque department also. (If the get more than slightly warm, they need to be upgraded)
Old 09-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
Package #808 at Scottyb is the one you want http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html. Scottyb is a site sponsor to.
He's got a series cart and 808 is a sepex package, but that is a good webpage to look at.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
plassman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys. Before I order the wrong bundle, it seems like package #484 would be the one I want. I don't want to replace the motor and it seems like that one will do the job just fine for me.

As far as Throttle Type, that would be the "36V EZ ITS", correct?
Old 09-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have the 484 package. Ran it on 36v for awhile and now on 48v. Easy install. Plug n play. You will like it. Yes, TXT has "ITS" throttle.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller txt, soleniod
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO