lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
Loosewire
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Strange Braking Issue

Ever since I installed my lift kit and larger tires, I have had a strange braking issue.

Whenever I apply the brakes to stop the cart, it is like the brakes begin to slow the cart and all of a sudden try to lock up. If I apply the brakes with a little pressure I can prevent it from locking up, but can still feel the point where the brakes really "grab". I have even slid the tires a couple of times.

I have removed the drums and everything looks good with those and the shoes. I also cleaned everything with brake cleaner before reinstalling the drums.

Any ideas about what is causing this? Do I need to release some pressure on the brake cables under the cart?

BTW, Are these self-adjusting brake shoes?
Loosewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Default Re: Strange Braking Issue

Check under the cart where the brakes cables go into the cable splitter,
Let someone depress and see if the new angle is causing it to hang on frame .
you may need to back off the adjustment some, since the lift normally causes more tension.
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Not a lift man but is the lift causing a wrap to occure and pull the cables.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLEEMO View Post
Check under the cart where the brakes cables go into the cable splitter,
Let someone depress and see if the new angle is causing it to hang on frame .
you may need to back off the adjustment some, since the lift normally causes more tension.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
pansser
ZONE FREE ZONE

E-Z-GO

like doom says: it sounds like as you apply the brakes they are actually causing the rear axle to twist backwards this will cause the brakes to apply more causing the rear axle to to twist backwards this will cause the brakes to apply more causing the rear axle to to twist backwards this will cause the brakes to apply more causing the rear axle to to twist backwards this will cause the brakes to apply more

anyway its a never ending circle. loosen brake cables, reroute them or stiffen the rear suspension so the axle does not twist the springs.
pansser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
Loosewire
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for all the input!

Axle wrap...that one never even crossed my mind, but I can certainly see how it can happen. I will check on it when I get home this week and first try re-routing and/or adjusting the cables.

The other thing is when I was driving it in the snow on Fri. night (Yeah, we got snow in Charleston, SC), it was worse then than any other time including yesterday.
Loosewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Somebody makes a little cable extension kit. That might just be what you need if axle wrap is getting the best of her and suspension is tight ....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosewire View Post
Ever since I installed my lift kit and larger tires, I have had a strange braking issue.

Whenever I apply the brakes to stop the cart, it is like the brakes begin to slow the cart and all of a sudden try to lock up. If I apply the brakes with a little pressure I can prevent it from locking up, but can still feel the point where the brakes really "grab". I have even slid the tires a couple of times.

I have removed the drums and everything looks good with those and the shoes. I also cleaned everything with brake cleaner before reinstalling the drums.

Any ideas about what is causing this? Do I need to release some pressure on the brake cables under the cart?

BTW, Are these self-adjusting brake shoes?

Yes they are self adjusting brakes.

My cart is lifted and my axle has the blocks welded onto it and HD leafs so it doesn't twist but... I noticed that the cable bound, (left wheel brake,) when I lifted the rear end off the ground with a jack when I was removing the rear wheels. I repositioned the left brake cable to avoid the binding. But just for kicks… try backing up your cart at a fairly good speed and hit the brakes hard, doing this several times and see if your problem goes away, at least for a short while.

I have the same problem since the cart was new...

I've adjusted my brakes the proper way with the same problem,
I've adjusted the "Y" to have both cables pull at the same time
I've utilized the self adjusters by doing the backup routine on occasion, "temp fix."

Here is what I posted in Dec of 2008

"First, when I first got it the brakes would lock up with just a light touch to the brake pedal. While in the garage I kept applying the brake pedal over and over thinking they might have adjusters on them and need to be brought up closer to the brake drum. That did seem to work but now I have a pulsation in the brakes when applied, sort of like calipers out of round on a car with the brakes applied. Is this normal or just need more time to set in or should I make them redo the brakes?"

It's been over a year and still the same effect. I need to get off my butt and look at them again... doing it now!!!
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Any one here remember 65-68 fords when you hit the breaks hard at a fast stop light, when you took your foot off the brake it wold drop with a thump.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
Any one here remember 65-68 fords when you hit the breaks hard at a fast stop light, when you took your foot off the brake it wold drop with a thump.
Axle twisting... yep! My favorite was my 65 Falcon with a HP 289, 12 & 1/2 to 1's TRW's, 351 Windsor Heads, Manley Cam 560L 320 Duration, Detroit Locker with a 580 Zoom Gear and a 9" pig from a 57 ford and ran E Hot Rod because of the 289 in the Falcon when it should have been a 260. I didn't have traction bars... just built up my leaf springs and it wouldn't even flex/bend on hole shots running 11" M&H Race Master Slicks! Yep... The good old days... :)

So far the left rear brake drum is rubbing on the left shoe, catching it on the outside edge. I sanded down the front shoe edge a bit and it's better with the drum turning with just a slight drag on that high spot. Both brakes were catching at the same time so the cables are looking good without any binding. I'm going to check out the right side.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car