lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #11
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: buying sams club cheaper batteries

it takes more than 1 full charge to break them in ...new they are 75 to 80% so the 1st 12 to 15 times you put charger on leave it on until it shuts off do not charge a few hours than ride it and than charge it leave charger on until it shuts off................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #12
tinkerman
Not Yet Wild

Tom, thanks for the info on making sure they are fully charged after each use, I wouldn't of known that. Also I'd like some advice on winter storage. I've heard I need to fully charge the batteries..then unhook just one of the cables to make sure no juice is going thru them. Thanks, tinkerman
tinkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:55 AM   #13
rib33024

Here check this out---

NEW BATTERY BREAK-IN PROCEDURE:
Following proper break-in procedure can increase the strength and the useful life span of your new batteries. New batteries are initially about 75% of their full strength. The following procedure will insure they reach their full potential.
The 1st 10 to 20 complete charge/discharge cycles are critical to insure they reach 100%. New batteries should be charged before use and thereafter as follows:
Plug the charger in and leave it alone until charger shuts off by itself. Then drive to discharge the batteries to 75% battery pack capacity (see chart) Plug the cart back in and repeat the charge cycle.......It is very important you let it charge until it is completely done. Repeat this for the first 10 - 20 cycles......by the 12th cycle you will notice a difference in power, speed, and run-time.........I have never had a customer say they have not noticed the increase.
Most importantly, NEVER run the battery pack down below 50% of capacity throughout their entire life. Never leave the batteries in a state of discharge for extended periods of time. Recharge the pack once a week if the cart is sitting idle or in storage. And when in doubt, recharge it.
During the break-in procedure, keep an eye on the water levels. T can take 12 hours or more for the 1st few Charging times. These extended charge cycles may evaporate some of the water. ( use distilled water only )
As the batteries break in you will notice the charge time gets shorter. Eventually going from 12 to 5-6 hours per recharge.
ONCE A MONTH:
Routine maintenance is the 2nd most important thing to insure you get the most use out of your new battery pack. It is critical that you get into a routine of spending 10 - 15 minutes a month to keep the cable connections clean and check the water levels. Proper water level is critical. Dry batteries die quickly.
Keep the Distilled Water level up to the bottom of the fill hole sleeve or a half inch above the lead plates. Do not fill to the top.
Use a hard nylon brush to remove any visible corrosion. Carefully check that all of the cable connections are tight. Loose connections cause arching which will melt the soft lead terminals. Spray-on Battery Terminal Protector is available from the auto parts store and greatly reduces corrosive build up.
I hope this helps you get the most use possible out of your battery investment.

Read more about new battery break-in procedures here:

NEW BATTERIES?
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/electric-club-car/17096-battery-breakin-break-procedure-procedures.html?highlight=Battery+Breakin
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #14
tinkerman
Not Yet Wild

Hey to all who recomended the Sams club energizer batteries to me..."THANKYOU":: To update you, I have a 2002, 48 volt, electric club car and being new to electric golf cars, I wasn't sure which batteries I could get buy with once I decided to stop fighting the old ones that were in it. I thought I'd have to stick with the Trojan powerglides that were in it, which were quite expensive since I'd just got the cart. Then I started researching the Sams Club energizer 8 volts and found the cost difference was hard to ignore....$79.00 each. I'm here to say that thing gets up there and scoots now, even scratches gravel with the back tires. Runs like the 48 volt my son-in-law has. After riding his...I decided I wanted a 48 volt too, and now I'm not dissapointed. P.S. My cart has a run..tow switch on it, if I flip it to tow, will that be good enough come winter to hold a good charge in it and protect my batterie investment or should I also unhook one of the battery cables. It will be stored in my unheated garage. Thanks in advance for any advice on this also. This site is fantastic. Tinkerman
Old 08-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Tinkerman, for storage of a week or more, flip the switch to tow. It will still charge normally. Over the winter it is best to charge the cart once a month after a short ride around the property or neighborhood. If the cart cannot be driven, charge them once a month anyways. Removing a cable is not necessary as long as there is no draw on the pack when idle, but if you want to do it, it won't harm anything, you might just need to reattach it for charging depending on which one you remove.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #16
tinkerman
Not Yet Wild

I fully charged the batteries after I installed which took around 6 Hrs, and then I ran it for about 20 minutes to local resturaunt and around some of the city streets. I then parked it and fully charged it again, which took even less time. I didn't get to run it again today as it started raining pretty steady. I flipped the switch to tow and had to leave it for today I should be able to get back to it this weekend, and yes I sure will keep a full charge in it after each initial use...thanks so much for the advice, I wanna keep them in tip top shape. When I installed the new batteries I also put new cables/nuts and washers on and cleaned the cage area of any old battery acid before even lowering the batteries in place. I finished off installation with the red spray that is said to protect the battery cables, it says it will turn white in appearance when it is time to respray. Thanks again for everyones help and happy carting.. Tinkerman
Old 08-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #17
tinkerman
Not Yet Wild

Thanks "Gornman" for the info on winter storage. I will take your advice and flip the switch to tow then, and that way I can charge it once a month. It will be at home in my unheated garage during the winter months so I imagine once a month charging would be a must. I might be able to eek out a ride on it some in the winter depending on the snow depth Tinkerman
Old 08-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #18
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Congrats on the new batteries. Sure makes a difference!
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #19
tinkerman
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledRotten View Post
Congrats on the new batteries. Sure makes a difference!
Hey SpoiledRotten: Sure got that right. Thanks for all your help. Tinkerman
Old 08-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #20
tinkerman
Not Yet Wild

Tried to add a pic of my 2002 electric club car, hopefully it's on here this time. Thanks for everyones advice on the 8 volt sams club energizer batteries. They are really Great Tinkerman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_8839.jpg (153.5 KB, 11 views)

Tags
8 volt with low ah
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car