lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
steveho
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: diode across solonoid?

OK, back to the lightning strike....haven't replaced the diode across the soledoid but did put it back toghther enough to try the charger. Nothing at all happens when I plug it in. my question is could this be a zapped OBC or a zapped charger and how might I check?
steveho is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
steveho
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

OK, back to the lightning strike....haven't replaced the diode across the solenoid but did put it back toghther enough to try the charger. Nothing at all happens when I plug it in. my question is could this be a zapped OBC or a zapped charger and how might I check?
Old 09-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #13
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Before doing anything else I would double check that you have 120 volt AC power coming to charger.
Then to try and narrow down what was damaged I would go to STICKIES and look for following articles and do them in this order
#1- In STICKIES look for "Resetting the OBC" and try and see if this solves your problem?
#2- Do following test for OBC ( NOT IN STICKIES )
Disconnect wire coming from cart charger receptical at inline fuse, connect jumper wire of similar guage to end where fuse was and then other end of jumper to #6 BATTERY NEGATIVE POST ( same cable end that goes through OBC ) then connect charger and if comes on replace OBC.
#3- In STICKIES if charger doesn't come on look for "Complete manual for Power Drive Charger" and see if this help narrow down charger damage?
#4- Next go to www.lesterelectrical.com/tech and see if you can solve problem with them? I have had good luck after trying site to contact them direct and give them model number and serial number.
Hope this helps you find sourse of problem or problems?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #14
steveho
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

If I byapss the relay in the charger or bypass the OBC by jumping the sense wire to the main negative I can get the charger to hum, no current.
If I jumper from the fuse link (black lead at charger socket of cart) to main negative I get current to flow.....sound like the OBC bad charger good?
Old 09-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #15
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yes if your lucky it only took out the OBC................have you tried another charger on your cart or have you tried your charger on another cart? if not before replacing OBC make certain its not the charger.......................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #16
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would give the OBC reboot before giving up and replacing it. Some times this is all that is needed to get them working again?
Old 09-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #17
steveho
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I've tried to reboot the OBC three times according to the Sticky but instead of the reverse buzzer shutting down 30 seconds after depressing the pedal it shuts off the moment the key is turned, so far no change. I do have it on charge at the moment though with a jumper from the black wire off the charger socket to # 1 battery negative and the relay in the charger jumpered out. I replaced the diode across the solenoid so at least I'm on the road and can recharge, as long as I keep an eye on it (no timer)
Old 09-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I had a customer's cart that was on the charger when lightening struck nearby... the charger and the obc were toasted. So it can happen.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #19
steveho
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Oh, could have been much worse. could have lost the house!
Found an OBC for $149.00 and ordered it, I can make the charger relay function if I bypass the OBC in the cart with a jumper from the sense wire fuse to # 1 negative, no current though withoit jumping from black wire from socket to #1 negative so I feel pretty good about the charger being OK and the OBC fried. Thanks for all the pointers, I was a comparative newbie a couple of weeks ago but sure have had a crash course, I'm much more comfortable with this puppy now!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:11 AM   #20
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

This is the way many of us learned about carts so you are getting a grade A education in what happens when lightening strikes, which many of us will never get?

Tags
lightning damage
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car