lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
khansen402000
Not Yet Wild

Default 81 electric club car won't go forward

I have an 81 electric club car that stopped working and would just click the solenoids when the pedal was pressed. I searched the forums here and found a thread about jumping the 1st solenoid on the drivers side (master) to see if it would move and it did, it went forward in reverse.
so then I replaced the solenoid and now it will go forward in reverse without the jumper but no movement when in forward it just clicks 4 times with a full petal press. I took apart the f&R switch and cleaned the contacts (nothing was melted) it looks pretty good. Where should I look next?
also I should mention that the battery charge indicator shows about 3/4 charge and I can make it go backward in reverse with no forward if I change around the 2 swivel cable on the F&R switch.
khansen402000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
zdoggie25
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 81 electric club car won't go forward

This is the same thing I've got going on with my 81 cc. I switched the cables on my f r switch and it goes the right directions exept now the reverse buzzer is going off while I'm going forward. Mine is also on at all times without the key.
zdoggie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by khansen402000 View Post
I have an 81 electric club car that stopped working and would just click the solenoids when the pedal was pressed. I searched the forums here and found a thread about jumping the 1st solenoid on the drivers side (master) to see if it would move and it did, it went forward in reverse.
so then I replaced the solenoid and now it will go forward in reverse without the jumper but no movement when in forward it just clicks 4 times with a full petal press. I took apart the f&R switch and cleaned the contacts (nothing was melted) it looks pretty good. Where should I look next?
also I should mention that the battery charge indicator shows about 3/4 charge and I can make it go backward in reverse with no forward if I change around the 2 swivel cable on the F&R switch.
Check your Positive power supply. There are 2 positive cables into the the bottom of the F&R ... red (36v) for forward and green (18v) for reverse. Are both of those good? Check with your meter at the F&R
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdoggie25 View Post
This is the same thing I've got going on with my 81 cc. I switched the cables on my f r switch and it goes the right directions exept now the reverse buzzer is going off while I'm going forward. Mine is also on at all times without the key.
A cart that is on at all times may have the solenoid welded closed.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
khansen402000
Not Yet Wild

My F&R switch has 3 battery terminal connection posts on it. looking at it from the back of the cart there is 1 on the right(connected to positive battery. and 2 on the bottom with the one on the left (drivers side) connecting to positive battery and the one on the right going back to the motor. (and of course the 2 swivel connection on the face of the F&R switch.
I checked the voltage at the F&R switch with the meter negative lead on the final negative battery post (end of the battery series) and the positive lead on the points at the f&R switch. With the switch in forward I have 36volts at the 2 swivel connection on the face of the F&R switch and 40volts at the 2 points where the positive battery cables connect and no voltage at the cable that goes back to the motor.
in reverse I have 40 volts at the battery connection points and 36 volts on the driver side swivel connection and no voltage on the passenger side swivel and no voltage on the cable going back to the motor. and to reinterate the cart will go forward in the reverse position but just clicks in the forward position.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

1981 !? My bad I was describing the 83&up model.

You will have to wait for somebody who is more familiar with that style F&R
Old 09-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

do you have the duel micro switchs on the F&R ? they are locared under the seat between F&R if so the one on drivers side is like a double wide with a metal lever attached to it.........check that metel lever they tend to bend up and cause problems, its not your tipical micro switch more like its on steroids...........you know what sorry guys i had a brain fart for some reason i had E-Z go on my mind................sorry
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
khansen402000
Not Yet Wild

I found the problem I had after I changed the solenoid. I had 2 of the cables on the f&r switch reversed.
The cable on the right side of the switch is the cable that goes back to the motor and the one on the bottom right is postive battery connection. after I switched them all is well again.
thank you to the people that responded!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Be sure to make a diagram of that old ClubCar for future reference.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car 1981, just clicks, no forward
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car