lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default What's up with 2nd OBC in 3 years ?

A customer has a 1997 DS cart that has been upgraded with an 8 hp motor and a 700 amp curtis looking controller. It needs an OBC. However records show it got an OBC just 3 yrs ago.... Is this common or could there be something with the cart that is eating up OBCs?

Tahoe?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: What's up with 2nd OBC in 3 years ?

Scotty not sure it is normal, but put 2 in wife's 97 in that length of time. Have replaced the one in my 95 once. Both have nearly the same setup except the 97 is a regen. I also had to put one in brothers 97 that has the same set up as wife's. Now I try to keep one on hand.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

The 1995-1997 model OBC's seem to give more problems than later models for some reason? I always thought that it was because of being first models made and maybe not as good? My 1996 has original OBC and has been first in large golf course abuse for 7 years and then I must have put a thousand charge cycles since I had it with no problems except when I replaced batterys 8 years ago and charger wouldnt bring pack to full charge for about 5-10 cycles and then was fine?
When I do replace a OBC I always give cart full serial number info and numbers off OBC so CC dealer can confirm correct replacement. I have seen problems with after market dealers selling ?? brand OBC's?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I dunno what brand OBC is in it? Just wondered if anybody had found that beefed up carts with bigger controllers/motors ate up OBCs faster than stock carts?
Old 09-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

scotty no it shouldn,t eat up OBC,s but depending on where the 1st OBC was bought at if they sold you a pre-upgraded OBC i can understand why it went again now if it was the upgraded OBC thats a different story, the only way i know how to tell the difference is what came in the package when it was bought..........the upgraded ( 2nd generation ) came as a simple kit.........you got the OBC along with a new orange battery dash light and a new grey wire to install in charge receptical........if it was old stock than all you got was the OBC and nothing more................i have to add i have also seen some of the 2nd generation units go bad within a 3 year period and wondered if thats why they came out with a 3rd generation OBC..............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It looks like it is a second gen product...orange light and all.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

well scotty, its not common by any means but i have seen them go out within 3 years, other than that unless dawg or rabbit knows of anything i don,t know what to say..........keep me updated............................
Old 09-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
well scotty, its not common by any means but i have seen them go out within 3 years, other than that unless dawg or rabbit knows of anything i don,t know what to say..........keep me updated............................
I with you TOM, but something is nagging. I wonder since the cart has such a big motor & controller.... NAW.... but, could it be?
Old 09-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i don,d think so bud, i have seen many with bigger motors and controllers without ever having a problem?...................
Old 09-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

On the older models that didn't really have any interface functions like the 1995-1998other than to control charging the only thing that could shorten the life would be that it has to work more often and longer to make up for higher amp draw of large HP motors etc?
I do have one thought and that is the pickup coil inside OBC that goes around negative cable might feel the higher flow of power than they were designed for, but I dont have anything to prove that??? I wonder if Doc Bob??? has an opinion from his research on OBC functions?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car