lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
dtkana
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2006-08 CC DS with IQ

Weigh your 4/12s and weigh 6/8s. I rest my case. The more lead the better. I don't know why you say older I believe both are still in production. In my opinion the ds is easier and more simple to work on but of course someone who owns a precedent and doesn't have a ds would prefer the precedent. To compare anything that uses a battery for starting only to something that relies on them for primary power really doesn't mean a thing. I myself am not trying to argue either nor do I claim to be an expert. If 4/12s are better why don't any manufacturers use 2/24s? As for the auto industry 8v or any combination would never work. There is no need for high voltage when only using to start. The battery car industry is different they use even more 6 or 8 volt batteries than carts. Why is that?
dtkana is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
rmosso1
Not Yet Wild

First, I am speaking of an electric cart. Each 12 volt battery weighs 82 pounds. How much does an eight volt battery weigh? The 82 pound battery is what I just put in one of my 2007 PRECEDENT golf carts.

Oh, as info, the original VIKING 12 volt battery was warranted from Club Car for four years. You can look that up in the owner's manual; however, the bad news is that it only extends to the second owner. Probably why Club Car puts a wholesaler in between final sales, and a "3rd" owner.

Further, if you can basically replace your engine, which in this case is 4-12V batteries for around $700.00, is that bad? As I said earlier, put some meat on your comments. Until then, I stand by what I know, and that is to stick with PRECEDENT model carts.

Second, what I said above was common knowledge at the SAVANNAH, GA plant, at least when I toured it six months ago about the DS and Precedent.

AS far as high voltage to start, my 2008 FORD F-350 with 6.4 diesel, has a pair of 12 volt batteries, hooked in paralell, because of the voltage/amp required, especially for a cold start.

I do not know the exact year, but say 2000 or thereabouts, the PRECEDENT became the golf cart of choice. I am sure production/sales info would confirm.
rmosso1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #13
dtkana
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmosso1 View Post
First, I am speaking of an electric cart. Each 12 volt battery weighs 82 pounds. How much does an eight volt battery weigh? The 82 pound battery is what I just put in one of my 2007 PRECEDENT golf carts.

Oh, as info, the original VIKING 12 volt battery was warranted from Club Car for four years. You can look that up in the owner's manual; however, the bad news is that it only extends to the second owner. Probably why Club Car puts a wholesaler in between final sales, and a "3rd" owner.

Further, if you can basically replace your engine, which in this case is 4-12V batteries for around $700.00, is that bad? As I said earlier, put some meat on your comments. Until then, I stand by what I know, and that is to stick with PRECEDENT model carts.

Second, what I said above was common knowledge at the SAVANNAH, GA plant, at least when I toured it six months ago about the DS and Precedent.

AS far as high voltage to start, my 2008 FORD F-350 with 6.4 diesel, has a pair of 12 volt batteries, hooked in paralell, because of the voltage/amp required, especially for a cold start.

I do not know the exact year, but say 2000 or thereabouts, the PRECEDENT became the golf cart of choice. I am sure production/sales info would confirm.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...omparison.html

I replaced my 8v "engine" with us battery for less than $600. 2 12v batteries hooked in parallel still give 12 volts!
dtkana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #14
rmosso1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtkana View Post
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...omparison.html

I replaced my 8v "engine" with us battery for less than $600. 2 12v batteries hooked in parallel still give 12 volts!
MY POINT on my truck, is that, yes, it is still only 12 volts, as I stated, HOOKED in PARALLEL, as about 200,000 Super Duty 6.4 trucks are manufactured.

I realize to get to 48 volts, you have to hook up in series, well, unless you have a KENWORTH, and you use a series parallel switch.

But let us not get too fancy. The info above is great for year 2008, but I did not see any reference to 12 volt batteries in the link above: Golf Cart Battery Comparison.

I think this subject can get very complicated, and I am willing to learn and listen, but we need to compare apples with apples.

Why not first, we talk about price. I say I can replace my 4 1275 deep cycle batteries for $600.00 tax included. Can you replace 6 -- 8 volt deep cylce batteries for the same money? And, if you can, why switch??????

I think money is the key factor here. Reason why I say that, is Club Car said they would warranty their 12 Volt system for FOUR YEARS. Tough to go against the OEM, and that is my real point.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:42 PM   #15
golfcar guy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The DS was introduced in 1981, the Precedent was introduced in 2004, The Precedent should be superior in design as it uses the latest in automotive design. Both cars do have there place. The 12 volt batteries in the Precedent and DS did not work for a mulitude of reasons one being run time. Every golf car manufacturer has now dropped the 4 x12 volt battery and is going to the 6 x 8 volt batteries, bottom line is the more lead, the more run time. Hope this helps
golfcar guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:54 PM   #16
golfcar guy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

8 volt batteries weigh 62 lbs
Old 09-25-2010, 12:08 AM   #17
golfcar guy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

If your going to talk apples to apples you have realize that truck batteries are a different type of batteries then golf car batteries. Truck batteries start a vehicle, once its going the batteries fuction is basically done.
A deep cycle battery must provide power to start the vehicle and keep it going as it has no back up power like a gas engine. A deep cycle battery will always out last a SGI battery (truck)
Old 09-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #18
rmosso1
Not Yet Wild

Still learning. So with the 8 volt system you have 6 x 62# or 372 # of lead. With the 12 volt system you have 4 x 82# or 328 # of lead. You gain about 11% of lead by having the 8 volt system. Am I correct so far?

What I do not understand, how can you justify converting to 6 - 8 volt batteries? Beside adding some cabling, you would need a different retainer system, and what about the charger/charging system.

Perhaps I can understand on a new golf car, but please explain the justification for converting from 12V to 8V batteries.

And finally, I bot a 12 V VIKING for $140. Extended, four batteries would cost me $560.00 plus tax. What is the comparable price for 6 - 8V batteries? Quality comparable to VIKING.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #19
lizardman
Not Yet Wild

Well, the back and forth argueing was interesting, but I have an update on my car search.

Well, I dont have one still. Frankly, I am a little disappointed. I was sure I would be putting in my order and getting ready to go pick it up. I drove a ways to a dealer only to find that they only had a few carts, none of which I was ready to pull dough out on. Come to find out, the the 07 and 08 carts had year model surcharges, and all they had or were going to be getting were carts more expensive than the one quoted on the phone. Also, all the cars were 4-12v systems.

So, now I am back at square one. I am debating if I should go with an older cart with new batteries. Is a newer cart going to offer something better than say a 2002-04 CC DS? Shoot, I am even thinking of looking at some EZs I found for $1800. Sure, they are 36v(2006 & 07 models), but for $600 difference just for the cart, thats hard to look by.

What do you think?

Rod
lizardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car