lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Hat Trick
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Plugged in charger after rebuild, hot plastic smell

I hooked all the wiring up and plugged in the charger. Immediately I smelled hot plastic in the front cowl and the cowl near the new headlights was very warm. I unplugged the charger (maybe that was very bad) because I didn't want to start a fire or damage the cart. So suggestions? The charger was reading at 14, nearly pegged. These are brand new batteries, new wiring. I replaced all the cables except the one going through the onboard computer. I tested the lights and they do come on and appear normal brightness. Also, the yellow indicator light is now flashing with nothing on or plugged in.

Help please.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Plugged in charger after rebuild, hot plastic smell

what did you do to the cart...put new lights in? if so how and did you run your ground to a battery? is this a 48 volt cart or 36 volt and year and model..........if 48 volt did you use a voltage reducer.........just a little more info please..................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I hope you remembered that on a electric cart ( NOTHING IS GROUNDED TO FRAME ), you need to check all wiring again as hot plastic smell is wiring, switches, reverse buzzer or something else over heating or burning? HOPE you have a fuse between battery pack and any loads, and fuses to blow as protectection for what you are having happen? Like Shadowman says and I hope you didnt run lights off pack voltage rather than 12 volts for all accessories? I know I have forgotten and done just that before?
Wont have anything to do with hot wiring but did you upgrade to 4 gauge wiring and if so you need to run a 4 guage ( around ) OBC as otherwise you have a weak point in your high draw cables just like bending a hose to slow down water flow.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
Hat Trick
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
what did you do to the cart...put new lights in? if so how and did you run your ground to a battery? is this a 48 volt cart or 36 volt and year and model..........if 48 volt did you use a voltage reducer.........just a little more info please..................................
Yes, I added lights, new batteries, new motor, controller, solenoid, upgraded to a new HD F/R switch, 4 gauge cables...basically everything is new except the original #18 wiring coming off the key switch/MCOR etc. I DID add a reducer and nothing is grounded to the frame.

This is for a 2002 CC 48 V DS Series cart. So why is this Yellow status indicator light on? Did I damage anything by unplugging the charger during charge cycle?

Here are three pictures. One of the whole battery pack. One of the #1 and #2 batteries in the pack where all my lights and the actual cart charger lead goes to (red wire) and then a pic of the reducer and light relay.

Thanks fellas.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
Hat Trick
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
I hope you remembered that on a electric cart ( NOTHING IS GROUNDED TO FRAME ), you need to check all wiring again as hot plastic smell is wiring, switches, reverse buzzer or something else over heating or burning? HOPE you have a fuse between battery pack and any loads, and fuses to blow as protectection for what you are having happen? Like Shadowman says and I hope you didnt run lights off pack voltage rather than 12 volts for all accessories? I know I have forgotten and done just that before?
Wont have anything to do with hot wiring but did you upgrade to 4 gauge wiring and if so you need to run a 4 guage ( around ) OBC as otherwise you have a weak point in your high draw cables just like bending a hose to slow down water flow.
Nothing is grounded to the frame. The new Controller came with a huge fuse that is attached that is supposed to protect it and the battery pack. So I need to leave the cable going through the OBC and then run an additional wire (I do have one left over that I suppose is for it) as if it was going through the OBC and hook it up as such?
Old 09-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
BamaDozier
Getting Wild

Club Car

hat trick... What is that colored spray on your battery terminals?
BamaDozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
Hat Trick
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDozier View Post
hat trick... What is that colored spray on your battery terminals?
Battery terminal protector. Prevents corrosion.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
Hat Trick
Getting Wild
Club Car

Anyone see anything from the pics that can help explain what is going on?
Old 09-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

NO....... this is going to be hard for us to find. You have changed EVERYTHING. so the problem could be ANYWHERE

BUt seriously, post a pic of the wiring diagram you used to wire the cart with and a list of parts so we can id everypart... Is that a 16 to 12v 2 wire reducer ?

The yellow low battery light will flash to indicate an incomplete charge if you interrupt the charge cycle, so I think you are safe there. IS every accessory fuse protected at it's power source.... Lights, radio, fan etc?

We are going to need a boat load if info.
P.S. Your best guess ....... where was the smell coming from?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Check standing voltage at the pack and then at the plug they should be the same and within normal range.
Check to see the fuses are intact behind the charge receptacle. (one big glass fuse and one 3/8th amp fuse in a yellow holder) Check them for continuity
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car