lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
Hat Trick
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Plugged in charger after rebuild, hot plastic smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
NO....... this is going to be hard for us to find. You have changed EVERYTHING. so the problem could be ANYWHERE

BUt seriously, post a pic of the wiring diagram you used to wire the cart with and a list of parts so we can id everypart... Is that a 16 to 12v 2 wire reducer ? Think so

The yellow low battery light will flash to indicate an incomplete charge if you interrupt the charge cycle, so I think you are safe there. IS every accessory fuse protected at it's power source.... Lights, radio, fan etc?

We are going to need a boat load if info.
P.S. Your best guess ....... where was the smell coming from?
The smell was coming from the front end, near the lights. The cowl above the lights was very warm! The wiring diagram is the 48v MCOR diagram. It's posted in here:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...er-head-2.html
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

during charge the voltage going to the pack is as high as 60+ volts....... could the lights have gotten some of that? Can you disconnect the lights at their source and retry?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
Hat Trick
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
during charge the voltage going to the pack is as high as 60+ volts....... could the lights have gotten some of that? Can you disconnect the lights at their source and retry?
Possibly, would that indicate a wiring mishap? I will unplug them and then recharge, but I shouldn't have to do that everytime I go to charge though I presume.

Also I could test the voltage going to the lights? It's okay to unplug while the pack is hooked to the charger for testing purposes then? I finally ended up disconnecting one of the cables from the pack to get the light to stopp flashing. I THINK I unhooked the correct cable anyway.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:18 PM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Okay

1. reconnect all the battery cables and make sure you have 48v at the pack and at the charge recepticle

2. Disconnect the lights at their source.

3. try charging.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you smell hot plastic disconnect the charger and start immediately feeling all the wires in the suspected area to find the one that got hot....... this will help determine the problem if it still exists
Old 09-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #16
Hat Trick
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
If you smell hot plastic disconnect the charger and start immediately feeling all the wires in the suspected area to find the one that got hot....... this will help determine the problem if it still exists

Good deal, thanks. Will do this first thing in the morning. I wanted to try this, but I didn't want to keep unplugging it not knowing if that was a bad thing to do.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:08 PM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It would be better if you could trace out and identify a problem to fix before you plug the charger in again..... but if you are not having any luck with the voltmeter ...........

I could have a bad feeling about this. You really need to recheck your diagram against all the wiring and try to verify that things are connected correctly with the voltmeter BEFORE you go melting something.... I dunno

SO this is my Second thoughts on this problem.....
Old 09-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #18
Hat Trick
Getting Wild
Club Car

There was a really loose connection on the solenoid, tightened it up and turned on the charger. Everything seemed okay so I hooked the lights back up and no melting smell or heating up. The pack and receptical both read 48 volts. The pack charged for about 30 minutes and shut off. The new reading was 50.4 after charging. Looks to be a little over 90% and I presume that is okay with them being new batteries I wont get the full 100% charge readings from the sticky post above. Now onto the next and final issue (hopefully)!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car