lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
ackjay
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 36 volt question

My '93 CC had 37.1 volts across the series tonight(we have driven it everyday since its last charge on Thursday). I jacked up the rearend and tested the batteries under load(pedal was NOT fully depressed). It dropped to 32.2 across the series. Is this normal?
I checked each battery individually and the voltage was #1=6.27, #2=6.30, #3=6.1, #4=6.1, #5=6.3, #6=6.27. I failed to check each battery under load though.
Batteries #2 & 5 are recently new. #'s 3 & 4 are old Trojan batteries that I am considering replacing this winter.
I am not having any issues with running or charging. Just trying to stay on top of the batteries so that when next spring gets here, I'm ready pick up where we left off.
Your thoughts?
ackjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: 36 volt question

Batteries look OK initially but you may have a bad connection or bad cell. You won't know this until you check and clean and tighten all the cables and either hydrometer or load test the batteries.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Batteries 3 &4 are older and weaker batteries. They will cause your other 4 batteries to have a shorter life! They take longer to charge then the rest so it will cause batteries 1,2 5 &6 to charge too long and get too hot. It is never good to mix old and new batteries! If it were me, I would get all of the use out of this pack as long as I could. When it is time for batteries, replace them all at 1 time!
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
Batteries look OK initially but you may have a bad connection or bad cell. You won't know this until you check and clean and tighten all the cables and either hydrometer or load test the batteries.
I agree you will be ok for awhile.The resistors cars can run a long time and are depenable.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:17 AM   #5
ackjay
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
Batteries 3 &4 are older and weaker batteries. They will cause your other 4 batteries to have a shorter life! They take longer to charge then the rest so it will cause batteries 1,2 5 &6 to charge too long and get too hot. It is never good to mix old and new batteries! If it were me, I would get all of the use out of this pack as long as I could. When it is time for batteries, replace them all at 1 time!
Hey Colby, would charging too long and getting too hot cause them to blow up? The reason I ask is I just bought this cart last month and it had a blown battery. It looks as if this cart has had batteries purchased in 2's, meaning there were 3 sets of 2 batteries with the same brand name. I'm not sure what brand they were, but the 2 "white top" batteries are the ones I replaced as soon as I got the cart. I certainly don't want to have another battery blow up.
I will keep an eye on this battery thing and will more than likely replace the 2 trojan batteries this winter.
ackjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Replacing batteries 2 at a time may be easier on your wallet now but you are not going to get the same value for your dollar compared to buying a new set.

Here is why:

It is generally not recommended to mix new and old batteries in a pack because they have very different charging needs. A new battery is quite active inside (high Specific Gravity) while an old one is not so much. (You can Google how a lead acid battery works) The new battery requires less charging than the old ones to come up to the required voltage for your cart. What happens when they are put in the same pack is the new ones are over charged while waiting for the old ones to come up... this over heats the new batteries essentially cooking them and results in a weakened condition and a shortened lifespan. Basically, the new ones come down to the level of the old ones eventually....this shortens the new battery's useful life....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Like me and Scotty said, it is best to replace all the batteries at one time! Your cart is running fine now so don't worry about replacement yet. Just start a battery fund and put a little away each week and soon you will have the $700 bucks and replace them all at once only after you need to.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car