lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
rpw
Not Yet Wild

Default Thought it was the batteries

New member. Hello. And I have a few questions. Glad I found this spot.

1st post.

For Christmas, my inlaws bought my our 2 boys a 2006 elctric Club Car. It was running well and obviously in need of attachments. I have not gotten to that yet.

A problem arose last Friday. I was going to pick one boy up at school for a scout trip and figured I would take the cart since it was such a good looking day. The cart did not seem to take off and had trouble with hills. When we got home I plugged it in.

Ran it this afternoon and same problem. Fluid was ok in batteries. I went to get my trailer and one of our sons drove it for a moment and everything was fine.

Needless to say I did not believe him but he was right.

Full speed was back. The cart had not been back on the charger since earlier this afternoon.

Are there any suggestions on where to start looking?
rpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
rpw
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Thought it was the batteries

I would like to add that the cart had set up for a few weeks because of the weather we had. Nothing else I can see could make a difference.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Check and clean all batteries , and battery cables, no Gunk on top no corroded or rusty cable ends and cables are tight.
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

First it helps when you give serial number under passenger glove box or whether its a series motor ( F&R lever under right leg ), Shunt ( F&R rocker type switch under right leg ), AND VERY IMPORTANT does cart have RUN TOW SWITCH UNDER SEAT because it should be turned to tow to doing anything with charging or battery and wiring. What is your battery pack voltage? How many fill holes does each battery have ( each hole counts for 2 volts ) so 3 holes would be 6 volt battery, etc. Most CC are 48 volts but there are 36 volt CC as well. Cart should always be put on charger after each use and should be kept charged while in storage. NEVER ALLOW BATTERIES BELOW 60%or better yet 75%. If system is 48 volts then charger should be automatic and can be left plugged in to keep batterys from freezing. LOOK IN STICKIES FOR MUCH BASIC AND ADVANCE INFO.
As a new owner I would recommend the purchase or some basic test and maintenance equipment. A digital volt meter ( Harbor Freight are cheap ( $4-$7 ), a single float hydrometer ( $5-$9 auto parts stores ) with temperature correcting scale ( NOT A ANTIFREEZE MULTI FLOAT UNIT ), a supply of distilled water, Some kind of flex spout container to add water without loss ( I added a plastic tube to a clean gallon juice bottle with a water bottle tube shut off ), A soft brass wire brush to clean corrosion at cable connections, swipe a box of baking soda ( WARNING NEVER ALLOW INTO CELL AS WILL DESTROY BATTERY ) from family kitchen to neutralize gunk on battery connections, a spray can of auto batterys anti corrosion material, some basic end wrenches, a low pressure tire guage ( most cart tires only need 5-15 ponds pressure ), A hand held grease gun with extra cartriage ( once a year front should be lubed ), a tube of dry lub to spray on throttle and brake linkage again once a year.
Filling batterys should be done (after charging and cool down period ) is completed and only keep about 1/4" above top of plates ( not to top of fill opening as when charging will boil out doing damage to connections and cart frame and wiring as well ) fluid level should be check at least 2 times a month when in use. Differential 30 weight motor oil should be checked at least once a year, and changed every few years, and checked for metal in oil.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
rpw
Not Yet Wild

AQ0627-644126

The battery poles all appear clean as does the battery surface.

This afternoon it appears to be sluggish again so I popped the battery tops. One cell in one barrey looked like muddy water. All plates were covered and there seemd to be enough water on all form my car days. I will bet that one cell is dragging it down. Thoughts?
Old 03-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
rpw
Not Yet Wild

48 volts. Auto charger.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

As Old Mec stated
A digital volt meter ( Harbor Freight are cheap ( $4-$7 ), a single float hydrometer ( $5-$9 auto parts stores ) with temperature correcting scale ( NOT A ANTIFREEZE MULTI FLOAT UNIT ), a supply of distilled water,

Get these Items
I am attaching the battery charge sheet for reference.
If batteries are low add distilled water to 1/4" above plates.
Charge until charger completes and shuts off.
wait 8-12 hours and measure each battery and the entire pack
Post results here.
If one battery has low voltage, then use hydrometer to test the cells

click here http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-readings.html
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

The one "muddy water" cell could possibly be your problem, but without testing each battery and whole pack for power you will be so to speak "only shooting in the dark"? I have found that this type of problem solving gets very expensive with unneeded parts as a solution to possibly a very simple fix? If batterys are all the same age ( depending on brand look for date stamp on battery post area ( example A 6 might mean August 2006? ) its possible that you have one or more batterys giving problems or getting very weak? Another thing to consider that the replacement of only ( ONE ) battery out of 6 will cause your automatic charger to ruin the new one because the other 5 wont charge up as fast and your charger will be boiling the new battery and ruining its life?
If you are not mechanicaly inclined forum should be able to walk you through simple testing and repairs as its not really all that complicated.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car