lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
jhp1940
Not Yet Wild

Default 1998 Club Car Electric noise

I just bought a 1998 Club Car Electric 48 Volt. Its got the lever below the seat to shift Forward or REverse. It makes noise when I keep the accelerator down all the way. Coasting there is no noise. It does not have regeneration braking. It sounds like a coffee grinder if any of you can recall that type of noise. I told the previous owner that it had a grinding noise. He said that all the bearings were replaced???? To me it would indicate a motor problem, but not differential or gears?? I am keeping my 1988 Yamaha gas cart until I can fix this problem. Should I be thinking to buy a 36 volt motor to speed this sloow cart up and fix both problems? Previous owner said it has high Speed gears. Its street legal. What does street legal gears include??
jhp1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1998 Club Car Electric noise

Sounds like the Guide Ring part # 101789101 needs installed or replaced ( this acts as support for motor shaft on differential input shaft side )? This is located inside the splined shaft of motor ands acts as spacer-silencer between motor shaft and differential input shaft. Often with motor changes these are missed and or not replaced. Along with the Guide Ring you need a new retainer ring part #101822801 and adhesive to install part # 101813202. It does require the removal of motor to install.
WARNING when removing wiring use ( 2 ) wrenches, one to hold lock nut nearest motor while other is used to lossen nut holding cable in place. ( very easy for stud to rotate damaging wiring inside motor ) As cables are removed mark them with tape and location on motor housing.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
Sounds like the Guide Ring part # 101789101 needs installed or replaced ( this acts as support for motor shaft on differential input shaft side )? This is located inside the splined shaft of motor ands acts as spacer-silencer between motor shaft and differential input shaft. Often with motor changes these are missed and or not replaced. Along with the Guide Ring you need a new retainer ring part #101822801 and adhesive to install part # 101813202. It does require the removal of motor to install.
WARNING when removing wiring use ( 2 ) wrenches, one to hold lock nut nearest motor while other is used to lossen nut holding cable in place. ( very easy for stud to rotate damaging wiring inside motor ) As cables are removed mark them with tape and location on motor housing.

GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
jhp1940
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for reply. How difficult is it to get the motor out to replace these parts? Are there any tricks to make it an easier job? How do I know if these parts will fit? Are the parts interchangeable with different year Club Cars? Not at all familiar with how to maintain an electric cart. I looked up part numbers At BuggiesGoneWild and found the part 101789101, but tried the other 2 numbers and came up empty. Where can I find these parts?

Last edited by jhp1940; 03-19-2011 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: add words
Old 03-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
jhp1940
Not Yet Wild

OK I ordered all the parts from Mid-America Powered Vehicles Corp. They also had a part listed as Adhesive Remover Pen - PREC part number 102573201 for $12.40 whatever that is. Where can I find instructions on how to do this? I'll try a forum search. Thanks for help
Old 03-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

It may include instructions, if it's not obvious and U need help after part arrives
post again
Old 04-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
jhp1940
Not Yet Wild

No instructions came with the parts. Adhesive remover was a rip off. $!2 plus for a 3M over the counter adhesive remover to remove adhesive from cards or whatever. The adhesive was also a rip off as it was only a small amount of adhesive made by Loctite 4211. Not sure what the price over the counter would be but Ipaid $14.82. Not a whole lot but anyway. I looked at where the motor is mounted and at my age I decided to bring the cart to the local Club Car dealer to see what they decide is wrong. Still waiting for a call and an estimate what the charges will be to fix the problem. And what they think what the problem is? On the way over with accelerator all the way down, my wife clocked me at 21 mph. Is that normal. My gasser 1988 Yamaha does 29.4 mph. 21 feels sloow.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

No thats not normal , 15-18 is normal without beefing something up .
Old 04-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

The guide rings dont wear out, but the glue does. You can remove the ring- clean it out, and use a good contact cement and problem solved. If your dealer is like any repair shop around here, they will tell you big tails about what your problem is, when in reality it is an easy fix. Becareful.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
jhp1940
Not Yet Wild

OK I returned from the Club Car repair shop. The invoice says the problem was the Spring Centering Device. The gal up front showed me the kit. It had a bearing and snap ring plus a few shims(?). They said the charge for removing the motor and reinstalling was $102 and parts $17.07. Noise gone and it was done in one day. I thought it was a fair deal. Total cost $120.32 including tax. Now the original deal when I bought the cart included 4 tires I think 10 inch rather than the 8 inch stock tires. How much faster will this cart go with the larger tires? The original noise problem was if I floored the accelerator it would make noise but when I letup the accelerator the noise would quit.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car