lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
tarpleyg
Not Yet Wild

Default 2015 Precedent Front Wheels Wobble

Hi all. I am sorta new here. I think I created an account a while back when I first bought my CC but haven't had to post anything before. There's a great wealth of knowledge here and I was hoping someone could help me pin down a fix for my problem.
  • 2015 CC Precedent with a 6" lift.
  • Both front wheels wobble 1/16" (.070"). Rears only out of true by 1/64" (.020"). Measured with a run-out gauge.
  • This is not an issue at factory speeds but anything over 15 or so and it starts to be really noticeable.
  • There's no play in anything with the wheel of the ground. Hubs turn freely but are not loose.
  • The wheels were really torqued on so I removed and reseated and torqued to 60#. Problem persisted.
  • Moved one of the rear wheels to the front and the same 1/16" wobble was present on that wheel (which was fine on the back). That means it's not the wheel.
  • I tried to check the run-out on one of the hubs and as best I can measure it, it is only out of true buy about 1/64" as well.
  • Before I had this lift put on, I had another set of aftermarket wheels and tires and noticed similar wobbling but chalked it up to poor Chinese manufacturing but the wheels are probably just fine.

At this point, I am wondering if new hubs would resolve this but based on my haphazard test on one, I am not sure that'll fix it. I am just looking for other things to check now.

Here are videos of one of the wheels and hubs being measured.
https://vimeo.com/446297470
https://vimeo.com/446297469

And a pic of the cart with the larger wheels:
tarpleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2020, 07:01 PM   #2
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2015 Precedent Front Wheels Wobble

What type lift did you use?
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:06 PM   #3
tarpleyg
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCNorth View Post
What type lift did you use?
I don’t know. The guy that built the cart installed it. Would that matter if it was a problem prior to lifting though?
Old 08-09-2020, 07:28 PM   #4
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

If it were mine, I would pull the wheels and look at the hub bearings and the spindle. I was thinking that if you installed a drop spindle lift it may have made it worse. You never know what that cart may have looked like before it was rebuilt. That pretty body can be covering up some ugly stuff. Don't ask how I know this. LOL
Are your wheels aligned properly?
Someone with a lot more knowledge than me will be along to help you out.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:36 PM   #5
tarpleyg
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
If it were mine, I would pull the wheels and look at the hub bearings and the spindle. I was thinking that if you installed a drop spindle lift it may have made it worse. You never know what that cart may have looked like before it was rebuilt. That pretty body can be covering up some ugly stuff. Don't ask how I know this. LOL
Are your wheels aligned properly?
Someone with a lot more knowledge than me will be along to help you out.
I’m pretty sure the spindles were changed along with the lift but the hubs were reused. It was aligned when the lift was done but this problem has been there all along.

The cart builder has a great rep so I’d be surprised if it was anything major and he missed it. It’s going back to him later this month for a motor and controller upgrade so if I can’t figure it out on my own I’ll ask him to take a look at it.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:00 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Look at the front hubs for cracks around the lug studs. If the wheel nuts where german-torqued on (uber-tight) then the lug studs may be trying to pull through the hubs and you might be about to lose a wheel.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:50 PM   #7
tarpleyg
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Look at the front hubs for cracks around the lug studs. If the wheel nuts where german-torqued on (uber-tight) then the lug studs may be trying to pull through the hubs and you might be about to lose a wheel.
I hadn’t considered that but I’ll look at them closely. They were on tight. I’d say easily over 100 ft lbs and probably then some. Is 60# sufficient you think?
Old 08-09-2020, 08:59 PM   #8
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpleyg View Post
I hadn’t considered that but I’ll look at them closely. They were on tight. I’d say easily over 100 ft lbs and probably then some. Is 60# sufficient you think?
The manual calls for 55 ft lbs.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:02 AM   #9
tarpleyg
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
The manual calls for 55 ft lbs.
Thanks! I thought I had read it was somewhere around there.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:34 AM   #10
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would check the toe in and camber. That and the bushings are what causes the death wobble.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car