lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2020, 08:33 PM   #1
Raider97
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Wiring help for XCT Alltrax and 400 amp

Ok, I’ve followed the line diagrams and looked at other posts of installs. Still did something wrong because when I turned on the lights they came on for a couple seconds and then went out. No fuses are blown. I’m attaching a photo of the XCT Alltrax and solenoid installed if you can take a look and let me know if it is right I’d appreciate it. I did flip the wires on the coil terminal and small diode and picture is current configuration.

Do I need to flip the larger diode the other direction? Or did I damage them and need to replace?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CF153306-7E9C-4488-B764-F0F652B4FD50.jpg (172.5 KB, 0 views)
Raider97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2020, 12:05 AM   #2
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Wiring help for XCT Alltrax and 400 amp

Your wiring is correct. I know because I installed mine backwards the first time, too. I knew something was wrong when I touched the battery pack negative cable to the battery post and it sparked.

I can't tell from your pic, but on the large terminals be sure the cables go on the post first so they are in direct contact with the solenoid; then put the diode on the posts. No washer is used between the cable and the ring connector on the diode or above or below for that matter.

Did you do any damage? Here is what David from Revolutions Golf Cars stated in the sticky about diode installation (on this forum)
"A diode is designed to allow electricity to only flow in one direction. If the diode is installed in the incorrect direction, power can flow from one terminal to the other and end up in places it shouldn't be, creating a direct short between these two terminals. With a controller such as the Alltrax SR or the XCT, this is not going to cause any damage because it has built-in polarity protection. If you install a diode incorrectly on a solenoid with a factory Curtis controller, it'll ruin the controller immediately when you try to operate the car. It will fry the solenoid driver circuit. It's extremely important to install these diodes correctly the first time."

Good luck.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:15 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The Tow/Run switch is not connected (Pink and Green wires).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:21 AM   #4
Nutshell
Gone Wild

Club Car

When I installed my Alltrax, I accidentally reconnected my lights to full 48 volts instead of 16. Lights came on for about 5-6 seconds then went out. Had to replace all of them.
Nutshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:18 AM   #5
Raider97
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

You got me on this one...I reconnected all aux wires back to same positions as old solenoid. Where does it get the step down from 48V to 16V?
Old 08-18-2020, 07:19 AM   #6
Raider97
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The Tow/Run switch is not connected (Pink and Green wires).
Thanks. I disconnected them when I switched the diode.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:20 AM   #7
Raider97
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

What about the larger diode. Should the grey strip be on the same side of the solenoid as the smaller diode?
Old 08-18-2020, 07:26 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The important thing about the Regen Diode (the big one) is that the side with the "Stripe" gets connected to the same post as the cable from the pack positive battery post.

The Fly-Back diode (the smaller one) needs to have the side with the "Stripe" connected on the same small post as the positive activation wire, which is the light blue wire in your case.

There is no special meaning to the actual posts (Large or small) on the Solenoid, use the side that is more convenient for your wiring.

Your best b option is to connect Your laptop to the controller and go to the monitor TAB to see what the controller is reporting.

Edit:
If You don't have a 48v reducer Your accessories were connected to the first two batteries, Did You take a picture of the battery compartment before You started?

Last edited by Sergio; 08-18-2020 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: Note about converter
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:51 AM   #9
Raider97
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The important thing about the Regen Diode (the big one) is that the side with the "Stripe" gets connected to the same post as the cable from the pack positive battery post.

The Fly-Back diode (the smaller one) needs to have the side with the "Stripe" connected on the same small post as the positive activation wire, which is the light blue wire in your case.

There is no special meaning to the actual posts (Large or small) on the Solenoid, use the side that is more convenient for your wiring.

Your best b option is to connect Your laptop to the controller and go to the monitor TAB to see what the controller is reporting.

Edit:
If You don't have a 48v reducer Your accessories were connected to the first two batteries, Did You take a picture of the battery compartment before You started?
Sergio, thanks for the explanation. If I understand correctly, the Regen Diode “stripe” side will be connected with the cable from B+ on controller then, correct? If so, then I need to switch the Regen Diode around.

Also, I did take a photo of the battery pack. I have a Blue wire connected to positive on one battery and a black wire connected to the negative of other battery.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:13 AM   #10
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider97 View Post
Sergio, thanks for the explanation. If I understand correctly, the Regen Diode “stripe” side will be connected with the cable from B+ on controller then, correct? If so, then I need to switch the Regen Diode around.

Also, I did take a photo of the battery pack. I have a Blue wire connected to positive on one battery and a black wire connected to the negative of other battery.
You read him wrong. The stripe goes to side that connects to the battery pack B+ not the controller side. Sound like you had it correct before.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
400 amp sol, xct alltrax
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car