lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
96clubber
Gone Wild

Club Car

Angry hmmmm 96

have this 96 club car it had been starting like real hard. took it to a guy and he said it was the carb so we put one on a new one. it started up alot easier now. the guy said i need a rubber o ring for the air box so the choke will work. so we worked on it on the trailer and never unloaded it. i get home anxious to ride it so if i spent money on the good or if i threw it away. well i put prob 2 miles on it ran fine. went out the next moring to give my boy a ride and it wont stay running it will start run a few seconds and then die. this is how i loaded it on the trailer again. wasnt fun. took it back to the guy today unloaded it and it ran fine. he took it down the road and back to the drive and then it started to act up. he said he'd take a compression test on it. i ended up leaving the trailer and cart there. what would be causing this would i be bad rings maybe dropped valve seat? i dont know i told him i'd put another 200 in it and then i will prob sell it tired of messing with it......................
96clubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
stevenvjohnson
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: hmmmm 96

Have you checked/changed your fuel filter(s)? Same goes for air filter.
stevenvjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well, unless you really really trust the guy, I would not have told him that you would only go another 200 and then give up. If he is a dishonest individual, he could easily tell you "This is going to take a lot more money to get this thing running right. If you don't want to spend that much, I can give you $400 for it "as is" and I can work on it when it gets slow." You may be happy to unload the cart, but, not as happy as the guy that just stole your "not really a big problem" right out from under you.

From what you have said, I don't think you have a compression issue or a "dropped valve seat". Bad compression or a burnt valve or seat is not going to come and go. Once it fails, it is going to stay that way. You might be able to improve compression a little bit with some real heavy oil, if you were trying to fool someone, but, it's still not going to run good, then bad, then good again and then bad again. I think I would be looking at the spark or fuel delivery at the point when it won't start. When it won't start, hit it with some starting fluid, (right in the carb, not in the air box) if it starts right up and then dies out or runs for a few minutes then dies out, look to a fuel delivery issue, otherwise, check for spark when it will not start.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
96clubber
Gone Wild

Club Car

i changed the fuel filter new gas,,,,,,maybe this is a weak coil maybe??? i dont know had big plans for this paint job lift nice wheels and tires, wanted this nice at a cheap price cause i didnt pay that much for the cart. i am just getting frustrated with it.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
96clubber
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpa View Post
Well, unless you really really trust the guy, I would not have told him that you would only go another 200 and then give up. If he is a dishonest individual, he could easily tell you "This is going to take a lot more money to get this thing running right. If you don't want to spend that much, I can give you $400 for it "as is" and I can work on it when it gets slow." You may be happy to unload the cart, but, not as happy as the guy that just stole your "not really a big problem" right out from under you.

From what you have said, I don't think you have a compression issue or a "dropped valve seat". Bad compression or a burnt valve or seat is not going to come and go. Once it fails, it is going to stay that way. You might be able to improve compression a little bit with some real heavy oil, if you were trying to fool someone, but, it's still not going to run good, then bad, then good again and then bad again. I think I would be looking at the spark or fuel delivery at the point when it won't start. When it won't start, hit it with some starting fluid, (right in the carb, not in the air box) if it starts right up and then dies out or runs for a few minutes then dies out, look to a fuel delivery issue, otherwise, check for spark when it will not start.
i told him what i paid for it he said you didnt buy this you stole it...then he said i'll give you 500 as it sits......i just laughed at him..... i think i trust him he is a older guy that seems to be very well liked. i dont believe he will screw me over i watch what goes on for sure.......the fuel pump seemed to be working fine.... the only thing else i can think of is maybe the coil or maybe the rev limiter????
Old 08-01-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well there you go! You just laughed at a $500.00 offer to part with it and are prepared to put another $200.00 in it and intermittently it is telling you that it is a fine machine, perhaps only "with a cold".

I would say you are MOTIVATED. Can you read a schematic? Are you good with a wrench? Still bloody a knuckle or two? Get sweaty and dirty Doing It Yourself?

We can help - or at least try to! We can definitely provide encouragement. Long distance of course. Sight unseen of course. Using your eyes and your detailed descriptions.

I know that jiminpa just got me through a tough generator/starter repair. It was and is satisfying to DIY.
Land Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
96clubber
Gone Wild

Club Car

that is the thing on a car i can usually figure out what is going on...on the other hand a cart never messed with one. but the more i talk to the guy the more i learn. trying to get the other trick out of him to get it faster. i dont want to mess with the gov. he said it isnt that. i know of the cable out of the black box but i guess there is another way.....lol now need to find out where to buy some accessories
Old 08-02-2010, 01:10 AM   #8
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Might be a wild guess but if "the guy" offered you "$500 as it sits" i'd wager it's a decent cart and an easy fix. Why else would he want it ? Disconnect the rev limiter ground and see what happens, these units become unreliable over time and heat cycles. Coils/ ignitors are the same but seldom give the symptoms you describe. The guys on here are very good and time WILL get you fixed and happy. Be patient and you will find the answer.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

If your a mechanic, just look at it like a car or truck. Remember the basics first, Fuel, Compression, Spark. You know a bad coil can fail when it gets hot or when under load. Forget it's a golf cart, treat it like a kind of car you've never worked on before and you will soon find the problem.

I have very little golf cart experience, but about 40 years mechanic experience that has served me well with all sorts of vehicles.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #10
96clubber
Gone Wild

Club Car

all it was was a rev limiter. he said they are around 200 new or i could cut the brown wire. (ground) we cut that runs great now.....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car