lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Bogatzi
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Bent frame

Has anyone attempted to straighten a bent frame. It's a stock 97 G16 (for now). The front passenger tire is pushed back about 2 inches. The cart rides straight but turns do not feel right. I can see that the frame tube is pinched (oval, not round) and pushed up just in front of the floor boards.
Great forum. I appreciate any thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5054.jpg (65.3 KB, 51 views)
Bogatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Bent frame

Welcome to BGW!

Oh yea, its a common deal. You can get come-a-longs and a torch and straighten most...some are easier to cut out and replace the section. That one looks like a torch come-along job. It can be done. Can even tie it to a tree if need be and pull it out....just gotta know how to do it.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
Bogatzi
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Roady. Do you think one torch would be sufficient to heat all around the tube?
Old 10-31-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

I would only warm it up a little with the torch. What I generally do is get some pressure on it with a come-a-long or winch and then gently warm the tube up. Doing it that way you can go slowly and watch whats happening. Don't get it so hot it's glowing red.

Looking at the pic the right side needs to go forward and down. (looking at it from sitting in the cart)
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I had one they backed into a tree and bent the whole rear down. I chained it to a big tree and took off full speed about 10 times to get it pulled out. I just jumped off when the chain hit, lol, only a 20' chain or so. Comealong can work nice, heat will make it move once you have some pressure on it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
Bogatzi
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks guys. I will give it a try when it warms up. It's just above freezing today.
Sho305... I have done something similar to you, pulling out tree stumps with the tractor. The chain has broken a couple of times. It's a wonder that my head is still attached.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If it hit at an angle try to pull in the direction it was hit
body shops have good luck like that. yours was probably straight.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
I would only warm it up a little with the torch. What I generally do is get some pressure on it with a come-a-long or winch and then gently warm the tube up. Doing it that way you can go slowly and watch whats happening. Don't get it so hot it's glowing red.

Looking at the pic the right side needs to go forward and down. (looking at it from sitting in the cart)
I agree with not getting it too hot, you'll weaking it and it could possibly break.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Bogatzi
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the comments Doomsman & Spriddle.
I wish that I knew how it hit too. Unfortunately the seller did not know either.
I'm glad to have heard "not to overheat the pipe". That was not in my original thoughts!!
I think you are correct about the right side, Roady. One of the welds shows a sign of stress with some rust. Thanks again.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogatzi View Post
Thanks guys. I will give it a try when it warms up. It's just above freezing today.
Sho305... I have done something similar to you, pulling out tree stumps with the tractor. The chain has broken a couple of times. It's a wonder that my head is still attached.
Oh yes be careful, but this was a heavy chain that cart was not going to break. Looks like they may have hit the tire? The frame is not that strong there where it bent. If so you might be able to pull in the A arm or at the pivot for it. When I was at a body shop we had chains in the floor and a tower to pull on, we could do stuff that was not that bad. Problem with the cart is you don't want to bend it where you hold it, while you try to pull the damage out. The rear of the frame is quite weak behind the shocks. Likely would have to hold it around the engine cradle attachment area I'm guessing, if you cant ram it like I did lol.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha