lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
RedDesertCat
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G1 Primary Clutch Spring...where do I get one?

Governor is long gone already.
RedDesertCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDesertCat View Post
I have the clutch with the gold cap that you say has no spring. If that is the case then I'm a bit confused. Because the second I touch the gas on my cart, the clutch engages but the motor never rev's, it's very sluggish. I assumed it was clutch related but now I have no clue as to what's wrong with it. If the gold cap clutch has no spring then I assume it's non adjustable. The motor was stock and ran the same (sluggish...maybe 10mph tops on asphalt, way slower on dirt), but I put a 30mm carb and banshee exhaust on it, yet it runs the same.

How do I get this thing to rev and run like it should? Most guys here talk about their carts doing 20+mph and pulling trailers or doing great offroad. Mine is a slow turd at this point.

Thanks
Jordan
Man I'd put it back to stock and start from scratch. Stock my cart was running around 19mph and ran smooth. With clutch kit and muffler it does 26mph and gets to 20 in a hurry. Still won't break tires loose though, just not that kind of power here.

Check your compression warm, should be over 100# up to 120#. Check the seals, if they look wet in that area you might need to replace. Check the fuel delivery, could be fuel pump? Check the air intake area for leaks, could be getting too much air. Check the spark plug and coil for good clean white-ish blue spark. Take stock carb and give it a good soak in hot soapy water and tooth brush it good. Clean the bowl out. Shake water out and use a hair dryer to blow dry, not compressed air.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Something is wrong with that cart, though if you put all those parts on there it would take some tuning to get it running right. The G2/9 clutch has no spring, best you can do is get a new belt or the hd kevlar belt that is wider and them make sure the engine is moved away from the trans enough to get it tight without the cart creeping much. That will give a higher rpm takeoff though not really in the performance range. The G2 engine is ported to make power at low rpm (stock) and will spin the tires no problem on grass/dirt if running properly. Check the reeds and piston, advance the timing a little, cut the head for more compression, all that will help and make sure the topend is not tired.

They don't have much top end power but being a 2 stroke they will rev forever it is not uncommon to get a good running stock cart (stock tires) to run 30mph eventually it just takes a while to get there.

You can put in a 250 bravo/enticer engine and its clutch. You can put an aftermarket clutch on it to tune to more rpm. Not much you can do with the g9 clutch...you can drill a hole in each weight and get a little more rpm.

The issue with the clutch is it shifts, if it is not shifting the rpm will go up/down with speed....if it is working the rpm will stay the same up to 15mph or something. Once it shifts all the way then the rpm will climb high because its stuck in high gear. That will happen at 15mph stock and 20+ with 22 inch tires or someplace around there. If you look the belt will be at the top of the primary. But you can only do that on a G1 on jackstands, so better to mark the sheaves and see where the belt wears the marker off (how high/low in the clutch the belt ran). If you lose power from the cvt it is because the engine is at the wrong rpm, it is not shifting properly. You have to find out if its the engine or the cvt causing the issue....the cvt just deals with the power it sees when working properly. Also lube the clutches center shafts.

The clutches also react to engine power, so if the engine is not making power they don't do much. Make sure you are getting full carb opening from the pedal.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
RedDesertCat
Not Yet Wild

So I finally got some time to work on the cart yesterday. Come to find out the Exhaust butterfly was wired in the closed position. So I removed it entirely, and it improved the sound and performance but I'm thinking I may need to install a bigger pilot jet (has a 100 in it now) I tried a 95 and it definitely ran worse. It runs better but I still don't think it's 100%. It might do 15mph on the street.

If I jack up the rear of the cart to where it's not under any load, the cart will rev to the moon and screams! Sounds great. But under a load it never seems to rev. The carb intake boot is good and the reeds are good too. I'm thinking its a fuel issue at this point. Anyone who has done a carb swap, what jet sizes are you running????
RedDesertCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha