lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 2002 Carburetor connecting link and spring (w/photos)

My 2002 cart stopped turning over high rpms. It ran OK, but had no "high range" velocity.

I removed the carburetor and several issues became clear. 1.) The vacuum advance hose was worn out and cracked. 2.) The spring and connecting link to some "thingamagig" was missing its keeper screw and lock nut.

I have cleaned the carburetor, made new gaskets, cut a new vacuum hose, made a new keeper screw with lock nut, and now do not remember where the spring terminates (see partial rebuild photos below).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2002 club car Carburetor Repair.jpg (71.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Carb[1]..JPG (74.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Carb[2].JPG (70.0 KB, 0 views)
Land Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2002 Carburetor connecting link and spring (w/photos)

So I "went" with what seemd proper for the spring and now the cart runs, runs at high rpm's, sounds a lot "lower in pitch" thorugh the muffler than before, and BACKFIRES like it is the 4th of July.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Tom Burke
Gone Wild

Club Car

Wow there's a lot wrong in those pics.
1. The spring looks to big for this engine and it is in the wrong spot.
2. The screw with lock nut you say should be a small plastic pin with clip.
3. No such thing as vacuum advance. That is a carb vent.
I will try and find some pics for you.
Tom Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Tom,

The spring was "there" when I took it apart. That in itself is not indicitive that someone didn't change it in the past. I didn't.

There was no plastic pin and clip, so I made one from an aluminum phillips screw and nylock nut. It may look "wrong" but it works.

No vacuum advance. Check. Carb vent. Check. Good to know since the piece of available hose I used doesn't want to expand properly over the nipple piece (piece of fuel hose I think). I am off to the auto parts store today for a piece of small diameter rubber hose to replace that with.

I remembered this morning that I did not reconnect the black box air hose to the front of the carburetor. Duh! That is probably why it is hard starting, makes a lower pitch, and perhaps contributory to backfiring(?).

Thanks for your help. Photos or PDF's are good. Nothing visual found on line to assist in this "simple" rebuild.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Sizzler
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

See photo for correct spring routing.
The spring should close the throttle when pedal is released
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (154.3 KB, 0 views)
Sizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Here's an exploded view from my manual, sizzler has it right!
there's a small hole in the metal cover for the return spring,
It's kind of a PIA to hook the spring to the cover and also to the carb, BEFORE installing it,
but, It's doable!

Hope this helps!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DS Carb and intake.jpg (125.1 KB, 0 views)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes. That's the manual PDF I did not have! I remember, now that you have told me, that spring clips under the metal cover. It's where it originated. I will correct this immediately.

Wait a minute, what's that tube #3 above? I did not reconnect that either. It appears to be a discharge from the carburetor and given that, it must be reconnected or fire could start there.

5 minutes of additional tinkering, all of the SNAFU's corrected, and she's a new Gal, the cart now runs like a Scalded Dog!!!

How to solve the BACKFIRE, because she still hesitates at full speed? I will go reread the archives as I started a thread about backfire many moons ago.

Thanks for ALL of the help...
Old 06-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Tube #3 is the bowl overflow vent, it should just drop down from the carb and not connect to anything else!
(in the event of a sticking float... fuel should just spill on the ground)

Backfiring/hesitating at full throttle... is it possible that your rev limiter is kicking in because your over reving?
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

In the PDF from the manual above, I see the clip but not the plastic pin of the Connecting link. That is the part that I "made" from an aluminum phillips head cap screw and nylock nut.

I also do not have the names of the parts numbered so I call stuff "thingamagig"; "watchmacallit"; "dohickey"; and "widget"; but a definition of terms is in order.

What DOES the carburetor's Connlicting link "connect to" and what does that do? I suspect it is part of the "Throttle Limiter" as it is a nearly frictionless cable linkage to the rear of the cart, but I have not traced its path.

I have no clue in regard to "over revving", but suspect that could be contributory to the hesitation/backfire. I have no specification from which to research over revving. I just know the cart is now fast, as fast as it ever was, and historically, as it is now, I have had to under pedal the accelerator to prevent backfire. I have never traced the backfire cause but do know the cumulative effect will be catestrophic in time as the cart attempts to blow off the heads and out the gaskets.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car