lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Hot Rod is Smokin'!!

I was working on the paint job this weekend. The seat was off, exposing all of the batteries. While wet sanding, I was also charging the batteries. I saw a little smoke around the battery closest to the charging port. The cable insulation was pretty well melted off of one end. The battery post was melted and solder was piled up at the bottom of the post. I could tell the cable had been somewhat loose before I got the cart due to the fact that there were two washers at the top of that particular post, where that were none on any other posts/batteries. I turned off the charger immediately and tried to loosen the nut, working it back and forth, to no avail, trying to keep it from breaking off down in the battery. I backed up the post with some pliers while further trying to remove the nut. The post broke off just above my pliers. Oh well...

I tested the battery with my volt meter and saw that it was still reading good. I used a pair of vise grips clamp the cable back to the post. I reconnected the charger and kept my hand on the cable to see if it was going to get hot. It never even got warm, so I guess the cable being loose was fixing the turn a bad situation much worse, if I had not been there when it began smoking at first.

Anyway, I completed the charge, waited about 45 minutes and tested the battery pack at the charging port. I got a reading of 38.15. I then tested each battery and got anywhere from 6.30 - 6.48. I hated to buy one new battery and put with the old ones but had I not gotten good readings, I would have. I don't think it will hurt anything to leave the vise grips as the connecting apparatus of choice until the batteries finally wear down. That is, as long as it's not heating up like before. Those loose connections sure can do some damage!
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hot Rod is Smokin'!!

THey sure can ! http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/search/ for the post by roady89 on battery post repair.... I saw the link posted recently. No need to replace the battery.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks, Scottyb, Here it is.. I had no idea that could be done. Another salute to the BGW forum!

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/batte...nal-repair.php
Old 09-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledRotten View Post
Thanks, Scottyb, Here it is.. I had no idea that could be done. Another salute to the BGW forum!

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/batte...nal-repair.php
You Bet
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm very excited that I don't have to replace the "still good" battery. I can't wait to get that thing fixed.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Keep the lead to fitting area (where fitting touches the battery) free of oxidation. Remove the cables and clean the surfaces with a wire brush. Re-install them and keep 'em tight. Loose fittings, oxidation or bad cables will melt them quick.
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

All good info.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

I just performed the battery repair. Man, am I relieved that I didn't have to spring for another battery just because of a bad post. Thanks again for the information.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #9
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Good job on the fix,
I'm glad you did it because I was going to mention some vise grips have been known to snap open with vibration and then you would have loose hunk of metal on top of your batteries that could reach from pos to neg posts.
Not good.........
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO