lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
ffward
Not Yet Wild

Default Wires heating up

Please bear with me. I have little or no experience with trouble shooting electrical issues. I have a 1995 EZ Go with an upgraded motor. The previous owner installed a Fore-Par motor. The cart's been running fine until just recently. Two of the wires coming from the controller are getting hot enough to melt plastic. One of the wires seems to be coming from the battery (pos) to the controller and the other goes from the controller to the motor (A1 post). We checked the wires for a short/ground thinking that was the problem. All of the wires have been re-shielded and re-routed to protect them from themselves. Also we aren't sure if the motor is grounded properly. I contacted Fore-Par and am still waiting for a call-back from Tech support. One of the other things I was wondering was whether or not the shielding on the windings in the motor has started to break-down creating a resistance issue. Obvious from the way I'm explaining all of this, I'm fairly new to golf cart repair issues. I was just hoping someone here has experienced a similar problem and may be able to assist. Thanks very much for any assistance.
ffward is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Wires heating up

ffward, Welcome to BGW!

I would suspect that the cables my be original 6 gauge factory issue. If so, they are beyond their intended lifespan. I would recommend replacing all cables with new 4g welding cable and fresh copper lugs.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
ffward, Welcome to BGW!

I would suspect that the cables my be original 6 gauge factory issue. If so, they are beyond their intended lifespan. I would recommend replacing all cables with new 4g welding cable and fresh copper lugs.

What gauge are the cables and how old are they ..... they corrode internally and build resistance to the high amperage draw of the upgraded motor
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

ff,

FYI - 6ga wire is .162 diameter (the wire not the insulation) 4ga is .204.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffward View Post
...I have little or no experience with trouble shooting electrical issues... I'm fairly new to golf cart repair issues....
Before you do something to cause $$$ damages, you may consider taking this to a shop for this?

Just a thought from what I see on a daily basis...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
ffward
Not Yet Wild

Well, looking at the wire, there seems to be a little corrosion going on. I do have some 2ga wire. It seems like making that change would be harmless. Anything beyond that I think I'd rather have it looked at. Thanks all for the advice. It’s much appreciated.
ffward is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO