lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
mphacinc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default club car ds

Please help, i am a new owner of a 2001 club car ds 48 v . Cart drives ok on flat areas but any hills the cart slows to a crawl. I have checked the batteries the voltage is even across each one, i also used a load tester and that was fine too 8.3 v each and no real drop under load. i cleaned all terminals and checked wires and connections. i even tried to reset the obc as told in this forum.What else could be my problem?
mphacinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: club car ds

These cars are only designed to run between 12-14 MPH when they're new. A "crawl" is a pretty accurate description of what these cars do on a hill. Check your tire pressure and make sure they're aired up, check and make sure your brakes aren't dragging.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
mphacinc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thank -you im still wondering i have golfed quite a bit and have driven the same carts in the past this is more than just poor torque this cart wouldn't make it across most of the courses in our area. It will drive for hours i drove it around my neighborhood for 4 hrs today . taking on hills and flat areas hoping to wear down the batteries to charge them again. after all that driving the charger only went up to 6 amps and the cart never showed low battery. Wondering if i would be better off with and upgraded motor with higher torque. Our main use for this will be in the pocono mountains at camp grounds. high speed is not necessary but we could walk faster than this club car takes even the smallest hills. any suggestions would be greatly apprieciated
Old 05-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
THEPISTONHEAD
Gone Wild

Club Car

Try a 36v motor. It made my 04 DS 48V much faster then the other motor. Others may chime in to confirm this for you.
THEPISTONHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPISTONHEAD View Post
Try a 36v motor. It made my 04 DS 48V much faster then the other motor. Others may chime in to confirm this for you.
I keep my 36 volt motor when I upgraded to 48v and its a torque monster now
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
jedotx
Gone Wild

Club Car

If I understood your first post correctly, you said the batteries were at 8.3 volts. According to the "state of charge readings" sticky that would put you at about 75% of charge (100% charged would be 8.49 volts). My understanding is that you never wan to go below 70% (if you wait till the light comes on or the cart quits then you have discharged to far) so it sounds like you need to be charging now and not trying to discharge further. If the batteries will not charge to 100 % they may be the problem. Post more info on the batteries: how old, what kind, water level in cells, specific gravity,etc.

Upgrading will surely get you more speed and torque but only if you have good batteries and properly maintain them. there is good info in the stickey section: the "state of charge readings" I mentioned above as well as proper break in and maintainance information.

Last edited by jedotx; 05-29-2012 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: spelling
jedotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
mphacinc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thank you that was very helpful i assumed that a 6 volt battery holding an 8.3 charge was a full charge. Trojan batteries water level good and s.g. level good not sure how old batteries are just bought the car. I think the person that sold me the car said he put reconditioning fluid in batteries. Not sure how i feel about that anyone had any success with that? Will let you know how it goes tomorrow
Old 05-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
mphacinc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

If you use a 36v motor with 48v system that has to cause high amps in the motor . possibly overheating and shorter motor life . unless D.C. motors are completely different from A.C. motors . Windings must take a real beating
Old 05-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
THEPISTONHEAD
Gone Wild

Club Car

Not sure.......but I know I had ran one on my 04 DS 48V with big lift and 23's and never had any issue for 6 years in the hot Texas sun. Im getting ready to do it again due to the sucess of my last cart.
THEPISTONHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
cjnfiremn
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphacinc View Post
thank you that was very helpful i assumed that a 6 volt battery holding an 8.3 charge was a full charge. Trojan batteries water level good and s.g. level good not sure how old batteries are just bought the car. I think the person that sold me the car said he put reconditioning fluid in batteries. Not sure how i feel about that anyone had any success with that? Will let you know how it goes tomorrow
In your first post you said you have a 48volt cart. Now your stating you have 6volt batteries, that would mean you have 8 of them. Im I missing something?
cjnfiremn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no power up hills, power charging
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car