lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: spline motor couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gydyup View Post
Thanks, new batteries, was working great until I dropped a wheel off the trailer ramp. Replaced rear, bushings, had the motor checked. Something aint adding or hooking up.
In that case, it sounds like a broken rear axle.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
Gydyup
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapjeep2 View Post
In that case, it sounds like a broken rear axle.
Thats what I thought originally, but we put a brand new rear end in it, same thing, also took the old one apart, it was fine.
Gydyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #13
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . the only "constant" in this equation is the motor . . . do you have access to a spare motor you could install and try, even though the "cart guy" says the motor is "good" . . ??
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #14
Gydyup
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . the only "constant" in this equation is the motor . . . do you have access to a spare motor you could install and try, even though the "cart guy" says the motor is "good" . . ??
Maybe, worth a check. Sort of why I want to lock down these spline bushings in the coupler see if that fixes it. If that doesnt work, then I would just get another motor.

If that wont fix it, thinking about going with one of the Plum Quicks, unless you all have a better source for the cost.

My other nagging concern, could it be something else electrical, even though the batteries are good, is there something (control box) where full juice is not getting to the motor. Another concern is the whole couple bushing/housing spinning on the armeture shaft.

This was sudden onset , something definately popped when it went down hill.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #15
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Maybe, worth a check. Sort of why I want to lock down these spline bushings in the coupler see if that fixes it. If that doesnt work, then I would just get another motor.

If that wont fix it, thinking about going with one of the Plum Quicks, unless you all have a better source for the cost.

My other nagging concern, could it be something else electrical, even though the batteries are good, is there something (control box) where full juice is not getting to the motor. Another concern is the whole couple bushing/housing spinning on the armeture shaft.

This was sudden onset , something definately popped when it went down hill.

Were you able to get pictures of the splines for us? Would help.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #16
Gydyup
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapjeep2 View Post
Were you able to get pictures of the splines for us? Would help.
No, I didnt bother with a pic of the splines themselves as they are in great shape, no real wear or breaks. The male spline shaft is definately not slipping in the female splines.

Talked to Plum Quick guy, he tells me that its rare, but he has heard of the shaft spinning inside the couple, but like I note above, that is not happening, you would definately see that on both the shaft and couple if it was - also noisy as heck, its not. He also has heard of the couple housing slipping on the armeture shaft. He couldnt say for sure if the lower part of the spline couple is machined or pressed into the couple housing. But the only sign of spinning I have seen is the very bottom of the couple housing has a swirl in the grease, and on the chamfer tip of the shaft.

Looking at that exploded parts list Chuck provided, it does show the guide ring for 4.65, but also from other sources there is a splined couple that is 60-80 bucks not shown in this view, which makes me think there is a press in spline bushing, and the guide ring is just another bushing to ensure 100% lenght of shaft contact.

Im gonna go ahead and weld these things, my concern was it would mess up the coils (it wont), or void the core value if I need to turn it in, Plum Quick said the welder would be the best fix for the couple slipping in the housing. That motor only has a 30 core value, which is what the shipping cost to send it, thus cancelling out the value of the core. If the welds dont fix it, I am going with a Plum Quick.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #17
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Thanks, new batteries, was working great until I dropped a wheel off the trailer ramp. Replaced rear, bushings, had the motor checked. Something aint adding or hooking up.
i know this may be out of line but after reading all of this are you certain you didn,t damage a battery when it dropped off trailer? only takes 5 minutes to test and load test and could answer a few questions....i know i know you think i,m crazy but sometimes its the off the wall stuff that eludes us.........i once argued with a guy on here for 3 weeks and you know in the end it was an off the wall somehow a bad battery got in the cart...............dosn,t cost a dime other then a few minutes........................................... ..
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #18
Gydyup
Not Yet Wild

No, not a crazy question, and something I did consider. But, when "it fell off the trailer" maybe misleading. One wheel dropped or rolled off the edge of the ramp a few inches to the ground, was no impact at all to the cart or sudden bump or jolt, bottom of the cart never hit the trailer etc. I tried to drive it back up, it wanted to go up, but the tire in the sand just spun in, so rather than risk burning up the motor I just jacked it up and put a board under it and drove it off. It was only under a load for a few seconds.
Also, after I got it off the trailer, and on the ground it ran fine for a while. stopped and started great like always, no signs of trouble at all. Then I stopped to chat with a fella, when I took off, I hit the pedal, it was sudden and mechanical, I hit the gas, it jumped and started rolling like always, heard a muffled pop or thump, then just stopped, but I could feel the motor under my but running and it felt like gears not engaging, slipping, grabbing etc and it would surge like it wanted to hook up and go. Figured I had snapped an axle or gear, sort of like I am used to when you blow a clutch/or ring gear in a car.

But it is worth a check. its at full charge still according to the buzz box.
Never a dumb idea, and often the simplest thing is the answer.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
i know this may be out of line but after reading all of this are you certain you didn,t damage a battery when it dropped off trailer? only takes 5 minutes to test and load test and could answer a few questions....i know i know you think i,m crazy but sometimes its the off the wall stuff that eludes us.........i once argued with a guy on here for 3 weeks and you know in the end it was an off the wall somehow a bad battery got in the cart...............dosn,t cost a dime other then a few minutes........................................... ..
Old 08-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #19
Gydyup
Not Yet Wild

Uploaded an avatar of the wayward beast. If your wondering whats up with the pink, I am the only male in the house, wife, two daughters, two dogs, one of which is nuetered. At least I can have my drag race buggy even if pink, and I am one better than the dog, as I have my vegetables, even if they have been taken off line.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #20
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Uploaded an avatar of the wayward beast. If your wondering whats up with the pink, I am the only male in the house, wife, two daughters, two dogs, one of which is nuetered. At least I can have my drag race buggy even if pink, and I am one better than the dog, as I have my vegetables, even if they have been taken off line.
good one, i feel the same way sometimes, matter of fact i had to stick my hand down there a few minutes ago to check and make sure they were still there........................lolol................ ..................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car